WC in the north east???

Thread: WC in the north east???

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWC in the north east???

why am i finding it so hard to find one around here (nj, ny, pa). Before i start junior hunt tests i'd like to try for our WC.. why is it so hard for me to find these test. I guess i'll just enter some NAHRA ones for now. Unless someone knows of any close by. The most i will travel is 8 hours

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

There should be bunches of HRC/UKC tests around you. Just run your dog in the Started division. If you pass a started test, you should fly through a WC. Started will not be as difficult as Junior. You can usually find nearby test information at either Welcome to the HUNTING RETRIEVER CLUB, INC. (HRC) Family or HuntSecretary.com . HRC tests are a ton of fun. You will not have to handle a gun at started, a gunner will be provided. Just remember to wear a camo top and hat. Have fun!
    Last edited by GulfCoast; 06-01-2010 at 10:15 PM.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I think I have something saved someplace that will head you in the right direction. Hang on...

ETA- Well drat! Evidently I'm remembering wrong, or I was never able to find what I thought I had. I do remember, tho, talking to someone with Goldens about the WC training. Maybe training wise, you can find a Golden group to work with? Also, the Jersey Skylands Labrador Retriever Club might have something.

MemberServices
    Last edited by MicksMom; 06-02-2010 at 09:01 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

WC's are generally club events often held with the hunt test and sometimes stand alone. They are often poorly advertised till just before the event. The best way to find out about them is to contact the clubs and ask the Chairperson or Secretary if they are going to have a WC with their test or know of any club that will have one. Most retriever breeds have a WC (Flats, Goldens, Tollers,Curlies,etc..) and many will let you run a lab (some might ask you to bring the lab WC rules for the judges).
    The info for the WC's is usually never included in hunt test premiums and usually not on the hunt test entry sites, it will also not be on the AKC website.
    The only official WC for labs is held at the National (Oct 11th 2010 Los Angeles Calif), but they will (for $35) send you a certificate if you send in a copy of a club certificate that you met the requirements of the WC. Originally the retriever clubs wanted the WC as a requirement to get a confirmation Ch. on a dog, but AKC has prevented it. WC's are not recongnized by the AKC.

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

georgie is offline Senior Member

There is going to be WC/WCX on our breeder's property in June or July. We live in southwestern PA. If it is close enough for you I will find out the date. We run NAHRA hunt tests. They are alot of fun. We will be going to NY again this weekend for one.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Hey Deanna....glad you asked about this. I have been practicing with Guthrie YouTube - Guthrie Yellow Lab Practices Land Retrieves.wmv and would love to try for a WC. Are you training Apple yourself?

Just wondering....how does one make sure a dog is not gun shy? Guthrie has never heard a gun before.

Going to check out the links.

Gulf coast - Good idea, thanks for the link ! i did here they are lots of fun! I also went on a camo shopping spree last year so i'm ready =)

MicksMom- jersey skylands lrc doesn't have it... i will be joining that group very soon and will start pushing for more hunt tests/obedience/rally trials etc. Much needed around here!! thanks.

Kelly - there seems to be several WC/WCX offered for goldens but two that i have contacted so far do not allow labs.. they do allow flat coats, and two others. Good idea on searching indiviual clubs i found a lab club in boston that is having one. So i guess i'll be entering one after all..

Georgie - that sounds good! even though i will be trialing the entire month of june, i can do july if thats when it'll take place.. pm me and let me know once you get more info or premium. I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by hark67 View Post
    Hey Deanna....glad you asked about this. I have been practicing with Guthrie YouTube - Guthrie Yellow Lab Practices Land Retrieves.wmv and would love to try for a WC. Are you training Apple yourself?

Just wondering....how does one make sure a dog is not gun shy? Guthrie has never heard a gun before.

Going to check out the links.
    aw Megan he's such a good boy!! I intially started with a retriever club (navesink hunting retriever club) and we would meet up every sunday for a while. Then i started taking classes with linda sperco (blue dog sports coaching). These past two months i've been busy with agility, but starting in a few weeks i'm going to start meeting up again to finally work more on some field.

We should meet up sometime this summer, even if its at laura's place i know she has nice property with a pond i think... not too sure. If not we can meet somewhere in between you and i (forgot exactly where you live) but i can show you different things and certain drills that you can work on with him. We can also use some dead birds.. i have some in the freezer actually =)

as for the sound of a gun i gradually introduced this to apple. The first time she ever heard it she was 100s of yards away... and i would treat. Slowly but surely we got closer to the gun sounds and it never seemed to faze her.
    How far are you from egypt, NJ?

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

The flat and the golden WC is identical..the lab test is a bit easier. The lab club I belong to will do any retriever WC (if they bring the rules for the judges).
    Our club also offers a WCX double on land and double on water. The AKC parent club (LRC Inc.) does not recognize the WCX only the WC. If the club offers both you can often enter both on the same day.
    The other option would be to come to the Lab Nationals in LA,Ca October 9-16th. They will have everything Lab possible WC, 2 JH's, 2 SH's, 1 MH, 2 agility trials, 2 obedience trials, TD test, TDX Test,2 confirmation trials, CC(confirmation certificate), health clinics, judging clinics, and tailgates and dinners ,etc... all spread out over a week and all within 1 mile of each other, even the tracking and hunt tests. Enough fun to wear out any lab!!
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca