First real hunt for Sparty

Thread: First real hunt for Sparty

DefaultFirst real hunt for Sparty

While Sparty has already been to two hunts he was mostly just a observer...just a young pup, it was all new and he didn't do much but follow me around ( he did find one bird) But soon, hopefully this weekend, it will be his first real hunt. At 8 months, he can sit,stay,come and heel. He follows signals and directions, can sniff out the "bird" and brings it back with manners. However, all of this has been in training with dummies or pelts. The hunt will the europain style from platforms ( too much snow for cover or walking about). Sparts job will be waiting at my side until time to go get the birds that were dropped and the occasional runner. he won't have to compete with older dogs as well will be at our own platform. I think it will be an ideal setting for him to get confidence in a siutation that will be confusing and exciting for him...and me too.....
    Spartacus

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cycler is offline Senior Member

I am sure you are both excited. Well, I sure hope all goes well, and if possible post a pic or two.

kwaksmaker is offline Junior Member

yea rugers first huunt was dove and i had never trained him with dry feathers or on a dove scent just his duck dummies and i do gotta say it was pretty interesting but he did WAY better than expected he had a blast and only beeing 9 months he was all pup he had a problem sitting still sometimes between groups of birds but once again he did an awsome job all together me and 2 others shot 26 and two banded dove i would up;oad a pic of the end of the day but i couldnt figure out how to but good luck and good hunting

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Good luck! Post some pictures.

I didn't get any pictures! But- for his first real hunt with dogs,guns and people- it went very well.

We started out he was excited if not a bit confused. he heard gun shots and knew he was supposed to and get it..thankfully he had been worked with his e-collar so he knew enough to listen. When the first bird dropped, it was flapping feathers and that hadn't happen before with dummies...I encouraged him to bring it bring it! he got his mouth on the bird and hauled it back! Then he was watching the birds go down and got them pretty handily. The biggest thing to me is keeping the dog at heel to honor. I didn't wan him dashing off to just any bird. The temptation was great and he did stay...there was his first attempt at finding a runner which didn't go well..again excitment and confusion. Then he did find a runner,I was walking around and he sniffed it out and got it.Then he found a crippled rooster with his nose. He also flushed another bird that landed rather than fly. Another guy brought it down. After about a few hours,he was retreiveing like a pro-marking the fall,waiting for the command and bringing them back just like at home. What fun it was. Sad to say this was the last hunt til fall as the season closes march 15th. I did bring home two rooster carcasses for training...I keep them in the freezer and usually last for several months.
    Spartacus

cycler is offline Senior Member

Sounds like it was a pretty good showing, for his first real hunt. Also sounds like it was a lot of fun.

It was incredibly enjoyable! A good group of guys some from our church and a few that were not. The weather held for us, the preserve was beautiful ( even in the winter) and the pace was relaxed.The guys who organized the hunt made sure everyone had some shots,nice lunch and good fellowship. I could do this again real soon..too bad the season is ending....(((((
    Spartacus