using E-collar need some advice..

Thread: using E-collar need some advice..

Defaultusing E-collar need some advice..

I ordered a sportdog 400 collar for Sparty. Now Sparty has very good manners, listens well and know his commands ( sit stay come and directional signals) however, I want to prevent him from getting out of control when he is excitied and /or with other dogs. I have been to too many hunts where people are screaming at old fido-get back here!!!! bleep bleep,so the collar for me is preventative and proactive. Several times while working him the the woods he can pick up a scent and off he goes with it espcailly when he is fresh. I know him being 8 months and still a pup is a factor but agian i want to nip problems in the bud

What I want is some advice- do I use high stimulation to start or work my way up depending on the response? is this something that is used all the time during training or only when needed? How does one introduce the stimulation? Anything else that you cana dd would be helpful.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Before you put that collar on your dog, get yourself a book to read on using them, watch the CD that comes with it, and most important --- Set it to the lowest level. Hold it on one hand with the probes against YOUR skin. Press the button. Bump the stim level up one and repeat, continue doing this. My purpose is providing this direction is to make sure you know what you are doing to your dog. You may decide that using an e-collar is not what you want to do. At minimum, it will probably set a level in your head that you will never subject your dog to. Next step is that if you get a vocal, scream of pain from your dog, you have it set too high. Your purpose is not to punish your dog, just to provide enough to get its attention focused back on you and the command you are giving.

Starting at the highest setting is absolutlely that WRONG thing to do. Personally, I beleive that anyone doing that should be arrested for cruelty to the dog. DO NOT DO THIS!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Thank you for your tips and ideas. I watched the Cd and read the manual/book. The unit is charging as we type. Being a horse trainer and familair with pressure/release, it sounds as if thats pretty much what the collar is all about- giving pressure to re-enforce commands he already knows. I will start on the lowest setting. makes sense.
    Spartacus

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Update- we used the collar today while working him on some pheasant pelts. We have some nice cover in some higher ground behind the farm. I found the collar extremely helpful in keeping him in check. It only took a few nicks before he was more focused on my commands rather than just running as fast as he could to find the bird. I think this is going to be a good training aide.
    Spartacus

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

There are basically 3 ways to use an E-collar.
    1 Direct pressure, this is where you give a command like sit and apply pressure with the command or right after the command.
    2 Indirect pressure, an example of this is a dog is coming back to you but mouthing a bird you give the "Here!" comand and Nick. This takes the dogs mind off of mouthing and more on getting in to you. This is also a common way of dealing with barking on the line, give a sit comand with a constant when the dog barks.
    3 Atrittion, this is really good for things like shore cheating/shore breaaking. You pick a corner of a pond and throw the bumper so the dog will take the water and let the dog be right. Do this a few times to show the correct way to do it, then start making it more likely for the dog to cheat by running around the water versus going thru the water. When the dog runs past the corner you give a light nick.Then you repeat the same throw and do the same nick if the dog makes the same mistake. If the dog takes the water you praise. If the dog cheats again then you make the throw simpler for the dog to take the water. Gradually the dog learns to take the line and not cheat the water.
    Direct you are telling the dog what to do
    Indirect you are getting the dog to think about something different that it knows how to do
    Attrition you are getting the dog to figure out a problem on its own. Dogs that problem solve are great at tests that are different than what they have seen.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

Thank you for that help! I appreciate those will prior experience filling me in that knowlege
    Spartacus