Looking for Labs

Thread: Looking for Labs

godfather is offline Junior Member

DefaultLooking for Labs

Hello all,
    I reside in southwest Indiana. I very much want to start doing hunt test and or trials. I have a hunting lab, but his back ground is not real good. I have two questions.
    1. Can my current four year old be trained to do these hunt test?? Very hard headed.
    2. If I was to purchase another lab then I would like to find some very good bloodlines. Just have no idea who I could trust, and since this a forum based around labs I figured I could get a honest answer here.
    Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

meandclint is offline Senior Member

http://www.hlrcinc.com/pages/getalab.htm

Try this link to your local Labrador club

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

My best advice to you is to train your current dog. You will make many many mistakes with your first dog. The most important thing is to find really really good trainers to train with. you best place to find really good trainers will be hunt tests, and local clubs that hold test and trials. After a year of training your current dog with good trainers you will know better what you want in a dog and what they good dogs are in your area especially if you go and work at both hunt tests and field trials. Its great experience if you can find a good pro truck that will let you work by throwing birds and other things for them.

Training a dog for hunt tests and field trials can be very expensive and very very time consuming.

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

godfather is offline Junior Member

Thank you

georgie is offline Senior Member

I would look for some labrador clubs in your area. Join one that has training days. We joined a lab club and the help we received when we were starting out was so valuable. With training, it is an ongoing process. Once we started going to hunt tests we met others and saw labs we liked and talked to many breeders and pro trainers. Good luck.

vute81 is offline Junior Member

One place I found that has a very good reputation is Sievers Retrievers in SW IL. They would be worth a look if you wanted to get another Lab...

http://www.sieversretrievers.com/abo...boutheader.gif
    Last edited by vute81; 01-20-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Fallin Skies Kennel is offline Junior Member

I have a couple suggestions for you: first I would highly consider starting with a new pup because it is very hard to train a 4yr. old that is most likely set in his ways! It is also very hard on the dog and confusing to change his lifestyle at such an age. You could slowly work with him on the side even if you do get a new puppy to start training immediately. That would almost make it easier for him to learn with his new companion! It worked for us and our male was 7yrs. old and it was amazing how much he picked up from the two female pups we purchased and began training. It makes it fun if he has another pack member to watch learn instead of just a kindof "what the hell do you want me to do this now for?" kindof situation for him. Excuse my bluntness...Second: there is a training DVD that I highly recommend to anyone that purchases our pups...Chris Akins "Duck Dog Basics" and a wonderful place to order that from is Macks Prairie Wings hunting supplies. It covers every aspect of training a hunting dog including all the technical things you need to know for hunt tests! If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask or visit our website www.fallinskieskennel.com.

Thanks and good luck!!
    Kelly Olson