whats the basic training needed for field trial

Thread: whats the basic training needed for field trial

mistonia is offline Senior Member

Defaultwhats the basic training needed for field trial

i have no experience of field trial at all. I would love to do it with both bitches ones 3 and ones a year old. whats the basic training i need to do like first level stuff. my yellow lab will do basic heel work, sit and stay and will sit and wait while i throw a toy and then retrieve it through anything very good nose and will even do blind retrieving with her toys. black bitch will do nothing in an open environment yet, but at home will, just about bring back on fetch sit and stay.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I am not sure if you want field trials or hunt test info, so I will include every level.

Working Certificate (Labrador Club) is an instinct test, dog must go and bring back one MARK (bird that the dog sees fall) on land and bring it back close to you. And then the dog must retrieve 2 single marks on water. Distances are close usually 40-60 yards with light cover.

Junior Hunter (Hunt Test AKC) Dog must pass 4 tests, each test will be 2 land marks and 2 water marks (each mark is run seperately). Dog must deliever to hand and must have reasonable line manners. Distance is anything up to 100 yards.

Senior Hunter (Hunt Test AKC) dog must pass 4 tests (1 double land) (1 double water) (1 water blind) (1 Land Blind) Doubles are two birds being shot and then the dog is sent to retrieve. Blinds are "planted" birds that the dog doesn't see. You must direct the dog to using whistle and hand signals. The dog should be under your control at all times, the dog does not go out and hunt it up you direct him exactly to it. At this level you must also honor (have your dog watch another dog work with out moving) and must be steady at the line. (not go till you send him)

Derby (Field Trial AKC) first level of field trials (no dogs 2 years or older are allowed) Typically senior type work but with longer distances up to 400+yards.

Qualifier (Field Trial AKC) harder level open to all dogs, Harder doubles, triples etc.

MAster Hunter (Hunt Test AKC) top level of hunt tests. typically see triples and hard doubles on water,land and water land combo's. Blinds are harder. Distance held to 100 yards more cover etc.

Open (Field Trial AKC) very hard tests again up to 400+yards.

Hunt Tests judge dogs against a standard of what they should be able to do at each level. It is possible for every dog to pass a Hunt test or no dgos to pass.
    Field trials are looking for a winner. They are looking for the best dog that day they will give out placements for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th. You get points for placements when you get 15 points you get an FC or AFC (Field Championship).

I am sure you still have questions and the best thing to do would be go watch both a field trial and a hunt test. the season starts in the spring. Or I would find the local club and see if they have training groups/classes you can join.

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

mistonia is offline Senior Member

thanks for that. i might go and see a few people apperantly theres gun dogs local that i never knew about nd they work there dogs so maybe this is where i should start.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

Absolutely! The best way to learn is contact either your local lab club or a retriever club. You should train your dog to heel, sit, come when called. fetcch to hand/force fetch, this will get you thru the WC and Junior Hunter. As soon as the force fetch is done you can start teaching your dog to Sit on a whistle, force to pile, three handed casting, and doubles, water forcing, lining, whagon wheel drills, push pull drills, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
    If you post a city and state I can give you a list of clubs in the area and up coming tests and trials.

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

Thomas D is offline Junior Member

Field Trial dogs are the "rock stars" of the performance dog world. You need to go and witness one to really understand what they have to do. Professional handlers with 12-16 dogs on their truck as well as amateurs with one or two dogs. Derby, Qualifying, Amateur, and Open stakes are held at most. Most of the dogs have been trained for this competition from 6 months old. A 100 dog Open stake gives first thru fourth place and several JAM's (Judges Award of Merit). Same with other stakes. A real tough game to play.

Hunt Tests in AKC or UKC are more realistic and attainable for the average person. Check the AKC and UKC websites for tests near you.