Newbie Question

Thread: Newbie Question

KonasMom is offline Junior Member

DefaultNewbie Question

I am currently looking into starting Kona in field/hunt test training. My only concern is I am not a hunter and don't shoot guns. Can this training be accomplished without me becoming a hunter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Newbie Question

Yes you can absolutely train and compete in AKC hunt tests and/or field trials without ever hunting and or shooting a lived gun. That being said you should be prepared to handle dead birds and at firing a starter pistol would be helpful. Alot of training can be done with bumpers, but at some point dead birds should be used and then some live flyers should be used. If you join a club that trains dog there will probably be enough people that will shoot that you can get your dog exposed to it. Go to AKC.org and look up the coming hunt tests this spring in your area and go talk to people there about training and finding out where to train and who to train with. I find if you are willing to work people are willing to include you in their training group, and a training group is really the best way to train. A 6 person group works well so 1/2 the people can throw and 1/2 can run their dogs then you can switch around.
    The one thing I know is there are a bunch of really nice people that will help you train if you will help them.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Yes, you can train a dog to Master/HRCH/qaa without being a hunter, but like was said above, you WILL have to use real birds/have flyers shot and use a starter pistol. Have fun!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

Yes, I knew nothing about guns or hunting when I started. You will not have to shoot live ammo, unless you decide to while training, from time to time. As the others said, you will have to handle a dead duck.

Frances

georgie is offline Senior Member

Absolutely. Our breeder has labs with MH titles & have taken two of hers to the Master National Test & she does not hunt. Joining a lab club that trains for hunt tests will help. Like the others have said, you will have to handle dead ducks etc., but others in the club can shoot live flyers for you.
    It is alot of fun. Good luck.

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Here is a club (looks like a very good one) that should be kinda close to you in Florida

www.treasurecoastretrieverclub.com

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />