Q>About Labrador Puppies Age
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q>About Labrador Puppies Age

Jippy is offline Junior Member

DefaultQ>About Labrador Puppies Age

I would like to ask to all breeders and ofcourse, to the persons that are experienced to Labrador Puppies.
    My question is, will it be ok for the puppy to be separated to his mother at the age of 1 month and 1 week? Because my friend has a pure breed male and female Labs and now their pups are about 1 month and 1 week old, will it be ok if I bring home 1 pup at that age?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Q>About Labrador Puppies Age

so 5 weeks? NOOO WAY i dont know as much as the breeders and experienced people on this forum but thats definately way too early. They need to be at least 8 weeks old, even if they still arent feeding off their mums at 5 weeks they learn sooo much from their littermates in that extra 3 weeks. Please dont take a pup home at that age

Dani is offline Senior Member

No. Any good breeder would never allow them to be taken from their littermates before 7 to 8 weeks.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for all the reply. How about this, because my friend's house is just near us, if I take the pup in the house then I will bring him back to his mom for half day and again bring him home then same routine tomorrow until 10weeks etc. Will it be ok?

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

No its not ok.

A puppy should not be around strangers much at that age, moving him around like crazy is going to do nothing except expose him to things he shouldn't.

Bring him back to his mother, and leave him there until he is at LEAST 7 weeks old.

Or forever and reconsider the 'puppy maker' your friend is getting their future dog from.

Ok. So, 7 weeks will be good enough to take the pup home. Right?

There are very crucial skills your future puppy retains from being around his/her littermates during the 7-8 week stage. If you begin removing them from their littermates to early you are really doing your puppy a huge in-justice. I think you really need to consider the fact that you are going to have the next 10-14 years with your puppy and leaving him with the litter for a week or two longer is one of the best things you can do for him/her before you take him to his/her forever home.
    Carroll Family Labradors home of:<br />UKC CH Ma &amp; Pa&#39;s Christmas Coal at Carrolls,CGC &quot;Coal&quot;<br />U-CH Pointed- Ma &amp; Pa&#39;s Life of Riley, CGC &quot;Riley&quot;<br />U-CH Pointed- Beulah Land Daddy&#39;s Little Girl &quot;Regenea&quot;<br />U-CH Pointed- Ma &amp; Pa&#39;s Southrn Gentleman&quot;Wyatt

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

7 weeks is the absolute most earliest and I would opt for 8-9 weeks because the pups learn alot by being with the mom and littermates. If it's going to be your only dog, you could have issues with bite inhibition (the pups learn this around 8-9 weeks).

You need to stop being impatient and think about the health and development of your puppy. Leave him with the litter as long as possible.

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

I'd avoid getting a puppy from them at all, but thats just me. Purebred lab or not, it sounds like a rotten situation to me.

Ok, so 8 weeks will do now right? Thanks for all the information! :embarrass:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast