Is it worth trying to show this dog?

Thread: Is it worth trying to show this dog?

Kat09Tails is offline Junior Member

DefaultIs it worth trying to show this dog?

Hi there,

I have a lab bitch who will be 2 this december that I posted about earlier with a couple of bolo spots. I had a friend come over and finally allow me to get some decent pics of her side profile. It's difficult when you're handler and photographer lol. I was hoping some of you more experienced in the ring could give me a honest opinion. It's ok to point out any flaws you see.

Thank you very much for your time.

Melissa

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is it worth trying to show this dog?

She's cute. What's wrong with her bolos?

She needs a little bit more substance to her (muscle not fat)

She's got a beautiful topline, tailset, nice tight feet, also a long second thigh and what looks to be light colored eyes, but I think with conditioning you have a nice girl there.

meandclint is offline Senior Member

Where are you located? It really depends on where you want to show her as different shows and different regions look for different types. If you want to show her at a specialty in the U.S. then no she will not be competitive - simply she will not look like the dogs in those shows. If you want to show her at smaller all breed shows then yes she would fit in there or if you are in Canada you could show her at all breed shows up there and be competitive.

She has a pleasing outline and a cute head but for me I like to see more bulk (naturally more substance), more coat, more angles both in the front and rear and more thigh.

Bolo marks mean nothing and I've seen really nice typey dogs with big white spots on the chest do very well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

You could do UKC as well....and probably do pretty good. They like dogs that are more in "working shape". The rear lacks angles in my opinion, but I am still learning. I'd like to see a bit more bone too.

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

JMHO, but I don't think she lacks bone. I think it's more the lack substantial muscling in her rear and second thigh that makes it appear as though she lacks bone. Some conditioning may help with that.

The only way to know if she's worth showing is to show her. Go out, give it a try, and have fun! Good luck, she's a nice looking girl!
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

Thanks to everyone who replied. Much of the condition work you talk about makes sense because I've held her back from doing much conditioning exercise until she was grown up so I've kept her as lean I possible until I was sure her joints were in order. Labs are not my normal breed or cup of tea and I find it hard to evaluate what is and is not a show dog when you get down to the details which are important when you talk about a competitive breed. I just don't have an eye for them yet. She looks nice to me but I don't usually go to shows to compare.

So I will start picking up the exercise routines with her after the new year and see what she looks like by the spring thaw. For those that said she looked light it was just the camera work. I also adjusted the photo so you can see what she looked like structure wise. She's normally a very very difficult to photograph dark dog.

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kat09Tails
    Labs are not my normal breed or cup of tea..
    .....?
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

sorry I should clarify. I have papillons, they're what I have the most experience with and what I have an eye for. The wonder lab was originally aquired to be my hunting dog for the winged rats we call snow geese which she is excelling at. I got her from a very nice breeder from what I am told are excellent lines. I have very little experience with hunting dogs and she is my first retriever but not my first large dog. Everyone at the retriever training meets tells me what a pretty girl she is and that I should show her but at $25 - $35 an entry plus all the other expenses of showing I must admit I am hesitating on the idea of giving up my days off in the blind or chasing pheasent which is always rewarding for days in the ring with what might be alot of frustration.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Meh. If you'd rather not show her, then don't. I had a few dog show folks tell me to show Baloo (scoff! ) but I had/have no desire to do that, so I neutered him and we stick to OB/Rally/Agility and sometime in the future, fieldwork.

She's very pretty though.

And Laura, you need to update that siggy.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I agree with Jen (Canyon Labradors) and give it a try in the UKC ring. It is only a few bucks to get a TL # and then she can begin to earn points twords her UKC Ch. I think talking with a judge and seeing what likes and dislikes they have with her will help you guide which way you want to move with her. She have a beautiful head piece, nice topline, tailset, and nice tight feet. She could use some more muscle(simple retreiving and running will help this). I think you will find after she turns 2 she will fill out a little more as well which should produce a better front on her.

If ya need any help getting her signed up for UKC (if you decide to go that way) drop me a line I would be more then glad to help.
    Carroll Family Labradors home of:<br />UKC CH Ma &amp; Pa&#39;s Christmas Coal at Carrolls,CGC &quot;Coal&quot;<br />U-CH Pointed- Ma &amp; Pa&#39;s Life of Riley, CGC &quot;Riley&quot;<br />U-CH Pointed- Beulah Land Daddy&#39;s Little Girl &quot;Regenea&quot;<br />U-CH Pointed- Ma &amp; Pa&#39;s Southrn Gentleman&quot;Wyatt