Is my puppy a show dog ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is my puppy a show dog ?

deb
    deb is offline Member

DefaultIs my puppy a show dog ?

I was just wondering...Bailey is my new baby. She is 7 weeks old. I would love to get her involved in showing (agility, or whatever catagory she might fall under) But how do you know what they will be good at? Is this a breeder question?

She was purchased on a limited registration - with the option to release to a full registration with appropriate clearances.

I realize this is probably a short question with a long answer.....I would love any website links or info that anyone would care to give.

My main interest in getting Bailey involved in something is just to spend time with her -so any advice is welcomed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is my puppy a show dog ?

Is your puppy a show dog- Did you get it from a breeder who shows? Are the parents Champions? If the answers to those are yes, then I'd go to the breeder and ask if they consider her to be show quality. Whether or not she's show quality, you can train and eventually compete in obedience, agility, rally, hunt tests, tracking...all kinds of things. Start with the basics at home and enroll in a puppy class in a couple of weeks and go from there. Enjoy your new baby
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

deb
    deb is offline Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I will e-mail the breeded and do some research !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

There are SO many activities you can get involved in with her, even on a limited registration. Baloo's on a limited, and we compete in Rally obedience as well as formal obedience, and will one day compete in agility as well. (Maybe even field tests and tracking... there's so much to do! )

So basically, conformation isn't the only option if you want to show your dog. We have LOTS of fun training and going to competitions, and the bond between us is much stronger for it.

I would talk to your breeder (a MUST if you want to do conformation) but also maybe attend a few shows and become familiar with the clubs in your area. There's LOTS of possibilities.

Have fun!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Like others mentioned, you can have alot of fun with all the activities you CAN do with your pup.

The truth is that if the breeder actually shows, she probably wouldn't have sold you your puppy if she deemed it to have "show potential" and rather kept it for herself. But then again, 7 weeks is usually too young to tell. Most will say that when you evaluate a litter at 8 weeks, that's the closest you'll get to seeing what your adult dog might look like. And many times the best of a litter falls apart by the time the dog is a year, and in reverse, sometimes the breeder lets go of what may turn out to be the best.

Get in touch with your breeder, tell them you'd be interested in learning, and see if she'll evaluate the pup as it grows up. In the meantime, you can still go to handling classes, learn obedience and other things and have FUN with your little girl!

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Most will say that when you evaluate a litter at 8 weeks, that's the closest you'll get to seeing what your adult dog might look like.
    I disagree. Nearly all of the litter evaluations that I have done myself or have attended were at 7 weeks. By 8 weeks they start changing quickly. Others look and make their picks at 5 weeks.

Good luck with your pup. Lots of fun dog sports to participate and you don't need full registration for them.

deb
    deb is offline Member

Thanks to all answers... I am having fun with her each day !!

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by deb
    Thanks to all answers... I am having fun with her each day !!
    I thought she was still at the breeder. How old was she when you got her?

deb
    deb is offline Member

Just got her on Saturday.

YellowLab is offline Senior Member

She looks like a dudley(spelling) that is she lacks pigment in the nose and around the eyes, so she cant go in the conformation ring, but everything else goes. Good luck with her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast