Just Labradors banner

Puppy care help needed

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Carrollfamilylabs 
#1 ·
Somebody here suggested I post here.

Hello. I need help caring for some lab puppies (not show). I have a pug (about as different from a lab as you can get!) and know how to care for small dogs. I've never had large ones, though, and I'm not sure if some things are different for labs. It's been awhile since I cared for young puppies, and I've forgotten the answers:

Puppies who roll/walk through/play in poop and need to be cleaned--can they be given an entire bath every day? What soap for baths?

At what age can they start to be given kibble (soaked? with water? or formula?) and taken off bottles? If under six weeks, how many times a day should they be fed? Is one type of food better for large dogs?

They don't have their mothers around for heat, but I have microwave heating disks that I could use if I need to. Do I need to?

Is it too early for frozen washcloths (for teething)? What toys would be good at that age? I have some plastic ones I think I'll bring. How do I sterilize them?

Thanks so much.

I haven't been told what breeds; I know there are some lab babies and possibly a pitbull mix.

What questions did I forget to ask? Tell me what you think I forgot!

See less See more
#2 ·
I will try to answer your questions as best as possible..

Puppies who roll/walk through/play in poop and need to be cleaned--can they be given an entire bath every day? What soap for baths?

We initially have a whelping box 5x4 and then when the puppies begin to walk and get around on their own we build another 4x5 and match the sides up so they have a 10x8 area to run and play in. There is a slot in the middle 4 inch wall from them to go from one side to another 1/2 filled with blankets, toys, fresh water; then the other side is Pine Shavings (not cedar) and they all quickly learn how to potty train themselves. Then you just scoop it out like kitty litter each day and then change it out fully either every other day or everyday depending upon the size of the litter.

At what age can they start to be given kibble (soaked? with water? or formula?) and taken off bottles? If under six weeks, how many times a day should they be fed? Is one type of food better for large dogs?

We start a oatmeal consistency of gruel at 4 weeks and then feed them 1x per day(for 2 days) then 2x per day (for 2 Days) then 3 times per day for the rest of the time. As they get a week older each week allow the food to be a little drier until at 7 weeks they are eating solid food. We only use formula to supplement a feeding as a pup other then that no need. As far as food we do the Canidae All Stages food.

They don't have their mothers around for heat, but I have microwave heating disks that I could use if I need to. Do I need to?
Only if the room falls below 80degree's or their is dampness in the air.
Is it too early for frozen washcloths (for teething)? What toys would be good at that age? I have some plastic ones I think I'll bring. How do I sterilize them?

Best way to sterilize the box or the toys is a 1/10 solution of bleach and water. Rinse well after washing and I do this daily with their toys just to keep everything as clean as possible.
Thanks so much.

I haven't been told what breeds; I know there are some lab babies and possibly a pitbull mix.

What questions did I forget to ask? Tell me what you think
I forgot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.