Conformation showing with a bolo spot

Thread: Conformation showing with a bolo spot

Kat09Tails is offline Junior Member

DefaultConformation showing with a bolo spot

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum but I did have a couple questions about possibly starting conformation showing with my lab.

She's a 1.5 year old very lovely dog IMO from good bloodlines imo (Skyfire/NipNtuck/cougar mountain) but she does however have a bolo spot about the size of a dime behind the pads on both front feet. They are visable if you look carefully as she trots. Is it worth my time to even attempt AKC conformation? The information I'm finding out and about the web is very wishy washy on the matter with one person saying usually it's a pass, another saying you could get away with it in a specialty show, and finally the AKC standard which just says a bit of white on the chest and everything else being a DQ. le sigh...

Has anyone out there ever had any luck (or have heard of anyone having luck) showing a dog with a bolo spot? It won't break my heart if the answer is *snowball's chance in hell* since I purchased her as a duck/goose dog which she is more than excelling at in her training.

Thanks everyone,

Melissa

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Conformation showing with a bolo spot

I know several people who show (successfully) their dogs with bolo spots...and another one who colors them in with a black marker.

Bolo spots wouldn't keep me from showing my dogs. Did you get her on full registration as a show prospect, and if so, has her breeder seen her to evaluate her for the show ring? Are you located in the Pacific NW (just a guess with those bloodlines)? Haven't heard about Cougar Mountain before, but the other 2 are pretty well-known.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Kat09Tails is offline Junior Member

Well I did get full registration on her as she was to be the start of my duck dog line so yes I can show her if I wish but at 25-30 a entry I was a little concerned that I'd be wasting my time and money on something that just isn't in the cards for her. After all why waste the time and money when I could be spending my weekends in a duck blind (chuckles). Her breeder has sadly left the area as I understand it due to the Iraq war and does not know at this time when they'll be back. So no at this point I haven't had her evaluated by anyone other than myself.

Isn't coloring in spots considered faking aka cheating?

Right now I'm the only photographer and handler in the house so I sadly can't post a good stack photo for you all. Yes I'm in island county in Washington State.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

My show prospect has them too, about the size of quarters on both front wrists. We'll see how he does. Never even considered NOT showing him.

GTownPride is offline Senior Member

Bunny has them too, but she is yellow so its pretty hard to see unless you look closely.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

If I were you, I would probably join one (or a couple) of the "local" labrador clubs and ask for those breeders to evaluate her since they'll probably know whether or not she'd have a chance in the showring. Just be prepared for the honest truth...there is a lot that goes into determining if a dog is a "show prospect" or not. It is a great way to get mentors, regardless, which it sounds like you may need (just like the rest of us) in the future. Also consider heading to a couple of shows in the area to see what other dogs in the ring look like and possibly meeting various breeders who could help you out. Bloodlines definitely don't make a show dog (or even a good example of the breed standard), but they can certainly help since with those bloodlines, you will often get some of the stronger (hopefully good) characteristics.

There is a labrador specialty show coming up this weekend (August 1-2) at Marymoor Park in Redmond I think (Puget Sound LRC), if you're interested. You would probably meet a number of the breeders whose kennel names are behind your girl. There is also one coming up in British Columbia (Maple Ridge, BC) on August 16 that would probably be a fun trip. These are "labrador only" shows. If you are looking for all-breed shows coming up in Washington, you may consider checking here:
    http://www.infodog.com/panels/wa.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Kat09Tails
    Isn't coloring in spots considered faking aka cheating?
    Absolutely.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Kat09Tails
    Hey all,

I'm new to this forum but I did have a couple questions about possibly starting conformation showing with my lab.

She's a 1.5 year old very lovely dog IMO from good bloodlines imo (Skyfire/NipNtuck/cougar mountain) but she does however have a bolo spot about the size of a dime behind the pads on both front feet. They are visable if you look carefully as she trots. Is it worth my time to even attempt AKC conformation? The information I'm finding out and about the web is very wishy washy on the matter with one person saying usually it's a pass, another saying you could get away with it in a specialty show, and finally the AKC standard which just says a bit of white on the chest and everything else being a DQ. le sigh...

Has anyone out there ever had any luck (or have heard of anyone having luck) showing a dog with a bolo spot? It won't break my heart if the answer is *snowball's chance in hell* since I purchased her as a duck/goose dog which she is more than excelling at in her training.

Thanks everyone,

Melissa
    Bolos are on the backside of the feet. I would not worry in the least about this. We have Bolos on most of our dogs( which is suppose to be a sign on proper coat) . My Andie Pants has two bolos and also she has white on her chest.This has not stopped us. She is pointed in the USA and has her Championship title in Canada. She also took a best puppy in speciality.
    D &amp; T Branch<br />Harrow Ont <br />Bluesouth Labradors Reg&#39;d<br />[email protected]