Time to revisit crates

Thread: Time to revisit crates

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultTime to revisit crates

I'm always thinking ahead, and would like to know what type and size of crates you all use in your vehicles to haul your labs around (think largish labs). Right now I am still just letting them sit in the back seat, and while they are quiet, I know that it isn't safe, plus I can't leave my back hatch up and get air circulation at a show. I have a nice soft-crate that I like for taking inside show buildings, but would like to know what hard crates you use and like.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Time to revisit crates

I have midwest ultima three door crates in my Yukon. I've also used Midwest side by sides in my previous smaller suv. Personally, I prefer the wire crates for their ventilation.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I prefer hard plastic, airline-approved crates for safety reasons alone. There is a reason they're the only ones approved for airline travel for large dogs. One of my crates is a Vari-Kennel...the other is an off-brand. They have newer hard, airline-approved plastic Noz-2-Noz crates that are a bit more narrow from side-to-side for fitting into the back of an SUV better. They still don't fit well into mine, though...I tried out my friend's 2 and the connective rims (where the top and bottom of the crates meet) simply don't allow the side-by-side ease that I had hoped.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

I use Vari-Kennels in my van.

sandgrubber is offline Member

I had a welder custom build dog 'crates' into my old hatchback. Gives me maximum use of space and lets me get four to six dogs in a little car. I use the passenger space too. For some reason, people don't ask me for rides.

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

What kind of car/van/SUV do you have, Pat?

I have been contemplating this very thing recently. I have Subaru wagon and I know Henery would be safer in a Vari-Kennel, but I can't see squat out of my rear window with a Vari-Kennel there. I'm sure a wire crate would allow me better visibility, as well as better circulation for him. Gah. Decisions!!

ETA: just found this...
    http://www.newworldbasenjis.net/kennelaire.htm
    Thoughts?
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

patm is offline Senior Member

Wow! That's quite a story about the crates in the car accident. Right now I have a large size Saturn Station wagon, but plan on getting new vehicle within the year. So I am on a vehicle search too. I can't fit a tall enough crate in the back of my car for my dogs - esp. Skippy. He's at least 25 inches tall at the shoulder. I would like to be able to fit 2 crates in whatever vehicle I get - it needs to get as good as gas milage as possible, and I really don't want mini-van.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    So I am on a vehicle search too. I can't fit a tall enough crate in the back of my car for my dogs - esp. Skippy. He's at least 25 inches tall at the shoulder. I would like to be able to fit 2 crates in whatever vehicle I get - it needs to get as good as gas milage as possible, and I really don't want mini-van.
    Good luck...especially with finding something big enough (non-mini-van) that gets good gas mileage. I've been looking for the past 2 years for a suitable car for bigger crates. My small SUV (I have a 2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6) can fit 2 large (well, a 400 Vari-Kennel for Libby and a 500 for Monty) crates in an "L" shape, but not much else, and my rear seats become completely unusable. The only things I've found yet (I tend to "try on for size" when shopping...you should see those salesmen sweat when I start throwing huge plastic dog crates in the back of brand-new vehicles on the lot! LOL) include the large SUV's (like a Toyota Sequoia or Expedition, etc.) or the mini-vans (and like you, probably, I never pictured myself driving one, though after riding in a couple with my dog show friends, I must admit that they are pretty darned nice...). Obviously the former doesn't get good mileage...at all. You will *definitely* have to let me know if you find something that meets your criteria, because I'll probably be next in line to get one!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I have 2 side by side crates in my Durango. I can put one other crate on the backseat if needed.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Dani is offline Senior Member

I use 2 large midwest side by sides in my Trailblazer for the boys at trials. There's enough room for chairs, jugs of water, tarps, soft sided crates and a cooler of food for me in the back with all of that. I like the airflow on the wire crates personally.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003