Got me to thinking...

Thread: Got me to thinking...

DostaffLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultGot me to thinking...

My dad and I were talking last night and he brought up that he had seen a newer van (like my 2006 Express) on fire on the side of the freeway yesterday. He asked what would I do if I had all 6 crates full and my van caught on fire while going down the freeway... I freaked out... I had never thought about something like that happening before. So... He suggested I get a fire extinguisher and have a plan of action if such an unfortunate thing occured. My friend Page, and I will be having a sort of 'fire drill' before every trip we take from now on. You just can't be too prepared!

Thought I'd just pass this little bit of caution out to all my dog showing buddies!
    ~Melissa~
    And the Dostaff Girls:
    Abby, Anna, Ava, Brandy, Cali, Holly, and Ruby (and Dixie, too)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Got me to thinking...

Good Plan. I already carry a fire extinguisher in my car.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Definitely a good idea! It is a very real scenerio, unfortunately... I know someone who was coming back with their girl from a breeding and ended up getting side-swiped by another car. Her SUV went flying across 4 lanes of a California fwy and rolled over, shooting the crate (dog inside) out the back and smashing into the median. Luckily, the dog was fine (as were owner...though the car was totalled) and went on to deliver I think 8 puppies a couple of months later. Thankfully, she was using a Vari-Kennel, too, because a wire crate would have been smashed in the back during the rollover instead of being shot out. That is why I only use Vari-type (or airline-approved) crates when travelling now-a-days.

I have a few different things for emergencies in my car (flares, jumper cables, extra water, etc.), but I recently took the fire extinguisher out because it had expired. Time to get a new one that is graded for everything! Thanks for the reminder!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

I travel with my guys on an almost daily basis. On top of those other items, I try to make sure that I have at least one leash within reach for each dog.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ruff n tumble crew
    I travel with my guys on an almost daily basis. On top of those other items, I try to make sure that I have at least one leash within reach for each dog.
    Good point, too. I always keep about 3-5 slip leads (the cheap $0.50 ones) in my car *just in case*...most of the time in case I run across an injured dog or stray on the roadway, etc. They come in very handy as extra leads or even to wrap around an injured dog's muzzle when trying to avoid getting bitten if they're painful and you are trying to get them to the vet, etc. I have come across several car vs. loose dog accidents, unfortunately.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon