Running with Labs - ? for the breeders

Thread: Running with Labs - ? for the breeders

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRunning with Labs - ? for the breeders

Now, assuming one waits for the appropriate age, and introduces it properly, would you hesitate to place one of your pups with someone who wants to jog regularly with their dogs? (again, waiting to begin until at LEASt the age of two and starting slowly)?

I have heard a few people on boards say running with a dog on leash is terrible and shouldn't really be done. I'm curious to what extend that is true (or not)?

I realize this isn't conformation related, but I'm wanting to opinions of breeders who know their dogs and the breed.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Running with Labs - ? for the breeders

You could but you have to remember Labs are not built to be long distance runners.
    Not saying what is right or wrong, but if I was a runner I would look at perhaps one
    of the pointing breeds

I prefer them to free run...on grass, dirt, etc. because the blacktop is tough on them...as it is tough on humans that run. However, my husband jogs (not as much as when he was younger) with our dogs.

Our dogs get much more running in when we take them into the state forest we have near us and do a 3-4 mile walk....and they run loose...so they are getting some serious exercise in.

If the person was reasonable about when they started and what their expectations were that would not bother me. They are a sporting breed and do need their exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by prophet
    You could but you have to remember Labs are not built to be long distance runners.
    What are they doing when they are hunting? Aren't they supposed to gait in the showing "like they could gait all day"??

Unless someone was sprinting for long distances the dog would only be moving at gaiting pace. Sounds reasonable to me but I'd get them to leave it until after the dog was fully grown.

DefaultRe: Running with Labs? Run on reply.

In general, I think too little exercise is a greater danger to lab health than too much. Energetic dog are happier with energetic people. I would recommend that the puppy buyer do Xrays at around 1 year, and if the bone structure isn't good, that they moderate the running. I can't speak to on/off lead questions or different surfaces. I've heard lots of contradictory anecdotes -- including from vets. I'm inclined to think that a dog that is fundamentally sound will thrive on periodic running . . . though there is probably some point where it becomes excess.

One of my girls probably goes 25 km off-lead when I take a 3 km walk and will run full tilt for 40 minutes. I have another who goes exactly 3km when I walk 3 km and is a dedicated couch potato. My 'runner' tends to throw athletic pups with good endurance, and I would be happy to place one of her pups with someone who jogs -- presuming the jogging doesn't start at 10 weeks, and preferably, in circumstances where a fair amount of it will be off lead.

Come to think of it . .. one of the pups from my couch potato ended out with a horsey family, and has ended out going along on trail rides. He is in spectacular form every time I see him and they say he lies down for a few minutes after a long ride and then happily takes off again for a chase across the fields with the other dogs. So maybe his dam would have done better if I jogged.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Thank you for your opinions

I'm not a marathon runner, I do about 5-6km at a slow pace (short legs at 5'0!). He is never at a full run, just a quick pace walk. I try to keep Rocky on the grass as much as possible (abit more than 1/2 the run). Unfortunately, I live right in the city, which leaves running off leash in trails a dream. The path I follow is along a canal and most of it has grass along side the pavement path.

My goal with the post is learning abit more on if running with a dog, specifically a Labrador, is too unnatural and thus bad for their health.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

My dogs run with me and they thrive on it. I start them once they turn a year. They normally run off leash on soft dirt roads and trails with me but I do take them on the roads once in awhile.
    My personal rule of thumb is no more than 3 or 4 miles when leashed and on the road. If I want to go longer I take them on the trails or leave them at home. I have a friend who takes her leashed on the road for 10k almost daily and they have both passed clearances and are showing.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

I "road" my dogs in a golf cart on private, unpaved back roads (no danger of being hit by a car). They are on dirt, fields and in the woods 99% of the time. I couldn't imagine not being able to exercise them this way. In the spring I start out with a mile or two and work up to 4-5 miles (that I go and they are certainly going more). Even in the worst of the winter, they go for 2-3 miles (spaced out) on our walks each day.

rpliegos Guest

I know many breeders (of different breeds) that exercise their dogs on treadmills. My breeder built a pool for their dogs so she maked them swim.

I don´t quite recall the standard but I´ve heard judges say that labs must look as if they could work (retrieve) all day long, so I do believe their bodies must be built for stamina. Strong labs have gorgeous bodies and usually are the winners over dogs not well exercised.

I exercise very similar to Tanya, during the weekdays we run 4-6 kms on a leash. Both dogs love it. The trick is to read them and know when to slow down or stop. On weekends I take them mountain biking with me where they run off leash and waste all their excess energy. With the bike it´s a lot different because I make frequent stops and actually have to control them going downhill so they don´t run like crazy horses and hurt themselves. One of my friends has a 10 yr old lab that comes with us every weekend and is the healthiest fittest old lab I´ve seen