To Show or Not to Show...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Show or Not to Show...

DefaultTo Show or Not to Show...

Okay, so showing conformation has always been a dream of mine. My parents were not animal lovers, so I've waited to own animals until now as an adult. I knew nothing about conformation and now I know very little.

Anyway, my husband and I both love labs, and have a 5 year old field type lab Charlie that I do dock diving with. I decided I wanted to purchase a show quality lab. I knew to look for healthy parents (OFA, Cerf, etc. etc.) and to look for a CH pedigree but knew nothing about evaluating a puppy.

Found a litter and got the "pick" girl. I live in a small town and I'm a stay at home mom. I don't belong to a club or anything yet (our house is up for sale and hoping to move to a larger area). Did some conformation classes with her. I've gotten mixed reviews on whether I should show her or not last summer and have been waiting for her to mature a bit more.

Now I'm wondering whether I should show this summer or not. Been to some practice matches, and read the standard 3 million times, but still have no idea how to evaluate her properly.

Here are some pictures. She is 19 months old. They are not very good. I was unfortunately holding my newborn while trying to stack her, so this is her without me setting her up at all. I will try to get some better pics against a better background when little guy is zonked out one day.

Just looking for some honest opinions (whatever you can gather from the shots). Being brutal won't hurt my feelings anyway. I love her to pieces regardless. She has a fabulous temperament, and I will still do hunt tests, obedience, and agility when her hips clear after her birthday. Oh, and dock diving too if she ever decides she wants to launch off the dock rather than fall into the water, lol. I was also thinking about hiring a professional handler to start. I know I'll learn a lot going to shows and watching someone who knows what they are doing handle her. So, that's an option too.

I don't have any current head shots. THis is one from last summer looking straight on. Her eyes have darkened a bit and look more amber than yellow in person.

Badly stacked pics - I know she's overstretched

The other side - a little better

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lab addict is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: To Show or Not to Show...

She is a nice bitch, I think you are lucky to have such a nice bitch for your first show dog!!

Have fun with her

Where are you located? What's her pedigree?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She has many nice attributes!

Why not try?

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    Where are you located? What's her pedigree?
    Specifically, this litter was a linebreeding on Tad (Ch. Belle Tradition O'Broad Reach), so he is grandsire top and bottom. Off the top of my head, I remember seeing quite a few Dickendall dogs and CH Naiken Indian Temple a couple times. I can't think of any others without the pedigree handy.

I live in Northern Nevada.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Please, what is her pedigree?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

See Pedigree info above

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    She has many nice attributes!

Why not try?
    Thank you...that was the attitude that I had originally...that I would show her, and even if she did not do well, that it would be a great learning experience. But, I've had several handlers tell me that I should not show her unless I know she has a chance to do well. That if I showed up with a substandard dog judges would never take me seriously (something along those lines anyway). So I was feeling a bit discouraged after that. Trying to figure out how to proceed. Don't really have much support from anyone so I'm kinda on my own trying to figure this whole thing out :P

I guess the pedigree question was not specific enough for you. Could you tell us who the parents are?

Have you thought about trying UKC? (United Kennel Club). It is a great place to get your feet wet when it comes to showing. No professional handlers allowed.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

You may have some Intl shows near you too. The judges there will give you written evals. She looks very nice to me and with the dogs behind her, I'd talk to your breeder (and the breeders of Tad and Spencer too) and get their thoughts on what judges you may do well under. Then ask the judges' opinions if at all possible after the judging is done.

ETA: Judges can't put up what they aren't shown. I would definitely start w/ judges who are known to like the more moderate, athletic lab. She's very similar built to my 16 mo olds-- and my boy was given RWD to a major not long ago. I am going to put my girl Sonya in the ring in April, just shy of 18 mos if all continues to stay together. How's her movement?

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast