LRC Members ?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LRC Members ?

DefaultLRC Members ?

I posted this on ? on a couple of other sites Your thoughts

I was just wondering how many LRC members with CH dogs follow this guide line? If you do not can you explain why?

Note:
    No member of the Club shall use the title "CH" in front of the name of a registered Labrador Retriever dog until said dog, having won a conformation championship, shall also receive a working certificate or the equivalent as defined in this Article.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: LRC Members ?

Not a member of LRC, but I think the rule is a good one and should be followed. I also think that there should be a rule that if you are a member of the LRC and run field trials, you can't use the FC until your dog has a championship point or some sort of CC... The rules on the playing field need to be even...

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I'm a member of The LRC, Inc, but my boy isn't a CH yet... hopefully someday soon, as he doesn't have too many points left to earn. However, I also plan on taking he and my pet-bred girl to a WC practice day in March and a WC test in April, so we'll see. I do think that, for a performance-oriented sporting breed, it is a fantastic idea. However, I also see the standpoint of others who have put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears (not to mention time and money!) into earning that ever-ellusive CH. WC tests are becoming more available each year- the numbers offered, locations, etc., thankfully.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Honestly, I think that "rule" is silly. Does a WC actually get any respect from field trial folks?? What exactly would a show bred dog have to do to earn that respect? Anything more than a WC, which is a simple instinct test, requires a decent amount of time of pure exposure and training that most people just don't have because they're showing and usually have a life outside of dogs too. I think it'd be great that all breed CHs also have a Hunt test title, but I realize that's not realistic....but hey, what do the field trial people do prove that their dogs are anywhere near the standard?? I read retrievertraining.net (where you're basing this question from ) and I often see people asking for stud suggestions....I've NEVER seen the standard/structure considered when asking these questions! All the drive in the world is wonderful, but if it doesn't resemble a lab, what's the point?

Anwho, to answer the original question, I'm in the process of applying to the LRC right now. All of my dogs have their WCs and have their JHs. No AKC CHs yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    Honestly, I think that "rule" is silly. Does a WC actually get any respect from field trial folks?? What exactly would a show bred dog have to do to earn that respect? Anything more than a WC, which is a simple instinct test, requires a decent amount of time of pure exposure and training that most people just don't have because they're showing and usually have a life outside of dogs too. I think it'd be great that all breed CHs also have a Hunt test title, but I realize that's not realistic....but hey, what do the field trial people do prove that their dogs are anywhere near the standard?? I read retrievertraining.net (where you're basing this question from ) and I often see people asking for stud suggestions....I've NEVER seen the standard/structure considered when asking these questions! All the drive in the world is wonderful, but if it doesn't resemble a lab, what's the point?

Anwho, to answer the original question, I'm in the process of applying to the LRC right now. All of my dogs have their WCs and have their JHs. No AKC CHs yet though.
    That is a great post. Thanks for putting my thoughts into words better than I could.

I have no idea what a WC title requires (sounds like something to do with toilets to me .

In Australia there is no requirement of working capabilities at all for gaining/using a conformation title. Duck hunting is outlawed in most states, and true gun dogs are rare. Many leading show dogs have no retrieve drive and some don't even like water. When I got my first Lab here (I'm from the US but not from a show background) I took her to a leading breeder (who owned her sire) for evaluation with a concern that she looks classic Lab but she doesn't act like a lab at all. The breeder agreed . . . and said she got her unsporting nature from her sire.

So I'd say that unless the demonstration of working capability is given prominence, the breed will tend to loose it.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs

I am an LRC member, and actually have posted the diagram twice now on RTF as scanned from my Illustrated standard (posted below) as I too think that many folks havent seen the standard who are commenting. As for it being a "silly" rule, sorry, but no I don't think that at all. A WC is not a big deal. Marks are generally short distances, in shorter cover, delivery not req'd to hand. You can do it just fine w/ most young dogs (and they will have fun!). Cockers and other breeds have fallen far away from the Sporting Group because there have been no real standards for working ability and so coat and pretty have won. Do I think the FC's should conform? Yes! At least to a CC... I think that would be fair as at least Dq'ing faults could be ruled out. Do I believe our breed can lose our natural instincts? Yes... quickly, unfortunately. For those who haven't been... do try to get to a hunt test sometime and watch-- most likely, you'll see some things you wish you'd not see (on both sides of the fence). Anne
    Attached Images Attached Images

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrubber
    I have no idea what a WC title requires (sounds like something to do with toilets to me .

Here you go--- this taken from http://www.thelabradorclub.com/certi...uidelines.html

The minimum working certificate requirements shall be designed to establish that the dog is not gun-shy: accordingly, the dog will be expected to retrieve a shot game bird at a distance of 50 yards or greater on land; further, the dog will be expected to retrieve two ducks from swimming water 1 in immediate succession to establish the dog's willingness to reenter water. Shackled birds shall not be used for a working certificate test. Only shot birds shall be used on land, and only shot birds or freshly killed birds shall be utilized on the water. Steadiness is not required so a dog may be held on line, however the dog may not be released for the retrieve until the bird has fallen. Any reasonable command and gesture may be used to direct the dog to retrieve and return. Nothing may be thrown and no coercion may be used to encourage completion of a retrieve once the dog has been initially released to retrieve.

Qualification:
    Any dog that has satisfactorily completed both a land and water series in a field trial licensed by The American Kennel Club, or has received a placement or judge's award of merit in a field trial sanctioned by The American Kennel Club, has successfully completed an AKC Junior Hunter Title, or has achieved at least one (1) leg on a Senior or Master Hunter Title shall be deemed to have satisfied the working certificate requirements. In addition, a working certificate requirement may be satisfied by establishing to the satisfaction of any current member of the Club's Board of Directors that the dog in question has performed in accordance with the minimum requirements set forth above.

Note:
    No member of the Club shall use the title "CH" in front of the name of a registered Labrador Retriever dog until said dog, having won a conformation championship, shall also receive a working certificate or the equivalent as defined in this Article.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

I agree with Anne. I too think that the WC is not a silly requirement, and I'd also like to see the FCs earn a CC- it is only "fair" and "right". However, the same question that Nicole posed about the WC could and would most likely be posed of the CC. To Conformation people would the CC be a respectable enough achievement for a field dog?
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

To Conformation people would the CC be a respectable enough achievement for a field dog?
    Depends on whose giving out the CC's... Same question for the field people, whould a WC be a respectable enough achievement for a conformation dog?

I would love to put MH on all my dogs... To I have the time, money, expertise to do so, NO. Simple as that. I like hunt tests, I do, but to me most of my time goes into obedience and trianing for conformation. So does my money. After training and showing five dogs, I barely have enough money to do it again! :P Not that I'm complaining, but my priorites are just not there for getting all of my girls titled in hunt tests.... That being said, I think if there were more WC around her, I definately would get a WC on everyone. Fortunately, I live in Arkansas, and there are many around here with a shotgun and usually some frozen ducks, so training for that wouldn't be a big deal... IMO. But we must remember those that don't have that readily avalible or if they live in a big city...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast