New pictures of Ava...

Thread: New pictures of Ava...

DefaultNew pictures of Ava...

Here are a few new shots of Ava... I'm not too sure on how much I like these. Her top line looks weak and not sure of the angles. What do you guys think?

Any and all comments are welcome!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New pictures of Ava...

My take? The lighting is gorgeous! However, I think that the body shot on your website of her is much better than these. I'm having a bit of a problem with her off side front foot out of place and I don't think her topline looks all that great. I like the angle of the first photo if you are trying to show off her rear, because it is slightly favoring it. The fourth photo is a nice photo, but the angle of that one isn't really good to show her off.

I would go for a background that wasn't so similar to her. I think your blacks would look great with that background, I'd like to see her with maybe a blue water background, or green grass (if that's around) b/c I think it will help make her pop out!

Not trying to get you down, but just trying to offer some constructive criticism to help you out.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I love the head shots of her, and don't mind in the least that the background is about the same color as her, because you've got a nice DOF that really shows off her head. I do agree in the body shots that the background needs to either be green or blue as it's really competing with her and not showing her off all that well. Did you take the photos yourself?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I love the head shots of her, and don't mind in the least that the background is about the same color as her, because you've got a nice DOF that really shows off her head.
    Agree w/ the background for her head, especially with the shallow DOF you used. How hot was it when you were out? Is there anyway to try to get her mouth shut for a head shot? I really dislike tongues lolling out for head shots to show off a dog, but for cute photos just to keep of my dog they are fine, and usually show me what my dog is usually like. ;D

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I like the 4th one, where she is facing the camera a bit more, but her head is looking too far up in the others, which puts that roll over her shoulders and causes her to hollow out her back some, and it is difficult to see her outline with the dry grass in the background. Also with that shadow from her tail over her butt- makes it a bit distracting and difficult to see. Gorgeous background, though...I would like that for my light yellows! She is just a very rich color, and the grass really does seem to compete with her for the focal point of the photographs.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Dani is offline Senior Member

I really love the 3rd one...silly, wonderful coloration and great background. They are all pretty good though!
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

They are nice photos to have. The first two, the shadow is distracting on her butt. The third, she has the neck roll and the tongue. The fourth would be good if she were looking more towards the camera. And I like the last one. To have, the photos are great. To use on a website or in an LQ ad, not so much. Though I have seen worse.

I love her coloring, which is set off nicely with the grass color. But probably not the best to showcase her.

Thank God for digital cameras, I take about 100 and only 1 is good enough!

Thanks guys!!

Not trying to get you down, but just trying to offer some constructive criticism to help you out.
    Oh, not at all. I REALLY do want constructive criticism! ;D I just like to play around with my camera...

Did you take the photos yourself?
    Page and I both took the pictures. We are going to try to do some more this weekend after a dog show.

How hot was it when you were out? Is there anyway to try to get her mouth shut for a head shot? I really dislike tongues lolling out for head shots to show off a dog, but for cute photos just to keep of my dog they are fine, and usually show me what my dog is usually like.
    It was probably 40s that day. She gets REALLY excited!! I don't know if I have any good ones of her with her mouth shut... I'll have to look! She is just too goofy!

Thank God for digital cameras, I take about 100 and only 1 is good enough!
    Amen!!! I think we had close to 400 pics of her and so far, these are the best!

Thanks again guys... I'll try to upload more when Page and I get back this weekend...