Show Pictures

Thread: Show Pictures

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

DefaultShow Pictures

This might be a bit presumptuous but I'm a newbie to the show world and I don't know the rules, etiquette, when, where, how of getting a picture taken at a show.
    This will be Jackson's first year showing with the big boys. He did well as a puppy and if we ever get lucky enough to win I want to know how to get a picture.
    Does he have to win the winners class? or will a regular class do etc.

Thanks for your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Show Pictures

There is no rule for pictures. I suppose the only one, if it's really a rule, is that they need to have won a ribbon, but heck, I doubt the photographer is going to care if you didn't. I've gotten photos taken for placements, titles etc. When we have shown Grace, we got a couple photos for her 2nd place wins.

Good luck with showing your boy!!!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I have photos of class wins, a 2nd class placement (our 1st specialty show and 2nd show ever in just that many weeks), and the "biggies" as well (RWD/WD/BOB-type wins)... I think it totally depends on whether or not you want one. I'm new and am showing my first dog, so especially at the beginning, every win was HUGE, no matter how "small" it seemed to others. Now, unless it is a special circumstance (such as my 1st Open Yellow win under Winnie Limbourne), I just get photos of the big stuff (majors, WD/BOW/RWD at specialty shows, etc.). Heck, one of my friends is a newbie and she got a photo with her boy who won his class as the only entry. She was just as proud of him as if he had beat 15 other dogs, and it really is a great way to track changes in maturity, etc. over time.

If you want a photo, just find out who the "best" show photographers are around you for labs, and if they're at that show, ask for them by name if at all possible. You typically just let the ring steward know you want a photograph after your class, etc. and find out when the judge will be available. They'll usually call for the photographer when the judge is almost ready for photos...sometimes after labs are done, sometimes after a few other breeds, too.

Good luck!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank You...big help. I wish I would have known that with some of Jack's puppy wins...especially his first. I was soooooo excited. I had only seen winners photos etc. so I thought that's all they did. I'll get a picture of our next blue (Hopefully) no matter if we're the only one...although that's now doubtful as he'll be in Am Bred.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by rayluckgoo
    although that's now doubtful as he'll be in Am Bred
    Well you won't with that attitude! You need to believe that your dog can/will/should win! You can do it!

Also, you don't need a win to have a photo taken by a show photographer. Fritz Clark does a lot of the New England shows and he is a super nice guy and will take casual shots or stacked shots without any of the show signs, etc. Just ask him!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

OK, I am going to hijack the thread for a sec...NWLABS, your puppy photo is adorable, but it's a bit disconcerting, they are all little clones! I don't know if I have ever seen such a consistent litter before!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    OK, I am going to hijack the thread for a sec...NWLABS, your puppy photo is adorable, but it's a bit disconcerting, they are all little clones! I don't know if I have ever seen such a consistent litter before!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
    LOL! Thanks. It is a linebred litter and I expected some consistency, but this is more than what I expected. I am loving these guys! They are just 5 weeks old.

Oops! guess I shouldn't do this thing until I've had two cups of coffee!

What I meant was....I don't think I'll ever be the only competitor in AM Bred like I was a few times in the puppy classes (but his puppy record sure looks good).

Jackson WILL be a champion someday. I'm sure of it...although it might be Canadian championship. He's gorgeous and I've had breeders evaluate him for me and they don't find any real faults but overall he's pretty small. We'll see once he's 4 or so about American Ch. He's from a slow growing line too.

Congratulations on your wins and your beautiful puppies. And thanks so much for the help!