Newbie...to the breed and conformation...

Thread: Newbie...to the breed and conformation...

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultNewbie...to the breed and conformation...

Hi all! I don't even know where to begin with showing a dog (other than my annual viewing of the Westminster Kennel show and ownership of "Best in Show") and am curious what I need to do to begin?

Remy is 10 weeks and our breeder flew in a woman from CA to look over her litter to advise her of conformation quality. We were surprised to hear that our Remy rated 2nd place in the litter for conformation and we were advised that we could show him if we wanted to. Hubby and I thought it might be kind of fun...but I have no idea what this entails. I know its early as far as his age is concerned, but I'd really like to get an idea ahead of time of what we should be doing.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Newbie...to the breed and conformation...

Where are you located? Probably the best thing is to find a Lab or All-Breed club and join. The members of those clubs will teach you the ropes of going to dog shows, and you can volunteer your time to help put on their shows while you train your pup!

We're in CT and we are planning on doing that. The breeder is going to contact the local breed club for us.

I was just wondering what to expect and if there are any pitfalls in puppyhood I should be aware of?
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am in Massachusetts, who did you get your puppy from?

Quote Originally Posted by Retriever Mama
    We're in CT and we are planning on doing that. The breeder is going to contact the local breed club for us.

I was just wondering what to expect and if there are any pitfalls in puppyhood I should be aware of?
    Well hello there! I also am in CT and if I can provide any guidance, I'm happy to do so!! If you think you might want to show your puppy, the biggest pitfall to avoid, in my opinion, would be to feed him treats while he's sitting.

Feed him treats while he is sitting. You can't ruin a puppy by teaching him basic manners.

Do everything in your power to ensure that he is well socialized, does well with people, and other dogs. Get him on a leash, and yes, join a Labrador club or all breed club, and of course, post pictures of pupper standing and her pedigree here

Good luck with your puppy!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    Feed him treats while he is sitting. You can't ruin a puppy by teaching him basic manners.
    I think that this bit of advice completely depends on the puppy...my boy, for instance, developed a "default sit" where he would automatically sit in hopes of earning a treat, and every single time the judge seemed to be looking. (sigh)
    So, I actually "untrained" the sit command early on so he would do an automatic "default stand" instead.

Again, it depends on the dog...because of the confusion (and this being my first official "show dog" who I wanted to really concentrate on getting that ellusive CH with), I chose just to finish out our conformation stuff before working too much on our formal obedience. At our house, a dog is expected to *behave* (they're all indoor "house-dogs," anyhow, and I can't imagine what a nightmare it would be otherwise!), but in the instance of my boy, he stands for a treat rather than my girl (my obedience dog right now), who is expected to sit for a treat.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Quote Originally Posted by nwlabs
    I am in Massachusetts, who did you get your puppy from?
    Anne Hassett - Radiance is the name for her kennel. I think this is the first time she's bred, but she's been involved with the breed for over 15 years. She's a trainer at our obedience school and she boards our golden for us. She has 3 labs and we love her youngest, Connie, who gets along famously with Brooklyn. When we found out she had bred Connie we went to go see the pups...and fell in love with our little guy. She knows the breeder of Remy's sire and helped train him.

The sire is: Tonmar's High Price to Pay
    The dam is: ShadowGlen the Contender CD RN WC CC

We were just looking for a companion for us and for Brooklyn and were very happy to learn that he is such a pretty puppy!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

Oh yes, I know Anne. I just saw her a couple weeks ago at a Lab Specialty match. She had two puppy bitches with her. They must be your guy's littermates.