CERF question

Thread: CERF question

DefaultCERF question

I have a question for you all about your CERF procedures.

For those of you with multiple dogs and they are currently not actively breeding. Do you routinely send in your sheets to CERF and pay the money if your dogs cleared?

I have a stack of CERF sheets at home from my dogs clearing, but unless they are breeding at the time I don't bother sending them in. For example...if you were to look up Leo, his last CERF was in 2004. I have had him checked 4 times since then, but this is the first year I am bothering to send his sheet in because I may put him in the LQ this summer.

I was thinking about this because last night I was updating their webpages with health clearance numbers and although they have all been cleared and can truthfully say CERF annually, none of the data on the OFA database is accurate anymore. Poor Reuben doesn't even have anything on there saying he's ever cleared. He's 2 and he's cleared twice.

Just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: CERF question

I've never sent my ACVO forms in to CERF. They've all been examined annually and I have the papers in their files if someone wanted to see them. If I had an active stud dog, I might do things differently, but honestly I don't see the point in paying CERF just to send me a certificate....they're not grading anything, just making the ACVO form prettier

I don't always send in to CERF. The majority of the time I just make photocopies of the actual exam sheet which for me is a more valuable piece of paper as you can see what was checked in the actual exam.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your replies. That's always what I did too, but I didn't know how everyone else felt about it. I am sending forms in this year on all of my boys, but the ones who aren't going to be advertised will likely not have another listed for a few years.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I send in the first time just to get the form, otherwise, I just file them.

I sent a few in of Ruby's, she's been done every year too. I am going to send this years in to send home a copy of the certificate with her puppy packs.

Otherwise, I'm with ya, and I have better things to spend $8- on.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

$8 to me isn't a huge amount (especially in comparison to the "typical" $25+ on a single day's entry fee for a show), so I do tend to try to get my yearly CERF reports in. That way, it is always displayed on the OFA site, too, in addition to that CHIC #. If I had multiple dogs to certify, maybe that would come into play, but this $8 fee isn't much in comparison with all of the other health certs we've done...

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference, but I do send mine in. I like my crew's clearances to be easily verified, rather than having to produce proof of them. If I'm looking at stud dogs, I do like to be able to see their clearances online and easily verified. To me it just makes things easier for all involved.