Imports and Testing

Thread: Imports and Testing

DefaultImports and Testing

I have planned to bring three adults and a pup with me when I return from Australia to the US . . . probably at the end of the year. Can anyone tell me how much testing / re-testing I'll need to do to meet with standards . . . and what organisations handle the paperwork? I'm particularly interested in the translation of hip and elbow scores. Almost no one here tests heart function. Two of mine are PRA tested, one certifiable clear by parentage. I understand that clear by parentage may not be recognised and may have to be directly tested . . . correct?

Like most people here, I did X-rays at one year. All the dogs/bitches I'll be bringing are rated excellent (in our scoring system . . . hips 3:1, 2:1, 0:1 . . . elbows 0:0, 0:0, and 0:1). Will I have to have them re-Xrayed?

btw. . . Why do we do it at one year (accepted by the Lab Club)? . . . you want to know about problems early, and some change between one and two years is possible/likely, but dramatic change is unlikely. Also . . . if most dogs are rayed at 1 year, you're better off raying at one year so that the comparison is between likes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Imports and Testing

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrubber
    I have planned to bring three adults and a pup with me when I return from Australia to the US . . . probably at the end of the year. Can anyone tell me how much testing / retesting I'll need to do to meet with standards . . . and what organisations handle the paperwork? I'm particularly interested in the translation of hip and elbow scores. Almost no one here tests heart function. Two of mine are PRA tested, one certifiable clear by parentage. I understand that clear by parentage may not be recognised and may have to be directly tested . . . correct?
    We really don't have to do any health clearances to be accepted by the AKC in the US. Most US breeders accept orthopedic score from other countries. Optigen Normal by parentage is certainly accepted by the vast majority here in the US.

Like most people here, I did X-rays at one year. All the dogs/bitches I'll be bringing are rated excellent (in our scoring system . . . hips 3:1, 2:1, 0:1 . . . elbows 0:0, 0:0, and 0:1). Will I have to have them re-Xrayed?
    Not if you don't want to, as I mentioned above most can relate to other countries scores. As far as imports on hip/elbow clearances, I will say some will re-Xray and submit to OFA but I know of several cases where it was not done and it really did not seem to bother anyone. Two examples of this are Guidelines Mastercard and Trendmaker's Tycoon. There are several others I can think of but those probably are the most famous.

[/quote]