Coat quality

Thread: Coat quality

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultCoat quality

Besides genetics, what is next most important in your experience in influencing coat quality as judged by the show ring? Nutrition? Weather? Maturity? ???

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Coat quality

All can be important . . . though I'd guess that age is the least important on the list. I'd guess it depends on where you live, what bloodlines you run, and what you feed. It's full summer in Western Australia. All but one of my dogs are out of coat now, coats looking thin but even. They looked moth eaten a couple months ago. But it's been 100 degrees F a few days a month for the last two months and they're all seeking water . . . for good on em for blowing their coats. I found coat quality improved markedly when I started supplementing diets. The one girl who has kept her coat despite the hot weather (poor thing) is of lineage that has very thick coats.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

I've moved my dogs from Southern Ontario (widest range of weather anywhere in the world) to Nova Scotia (COLD, harsh winters) to the BC valley (very temperate conditions year round) and I've seen little to no change in coats.
    My experience has been that climate has little to do with the quality/amount of coat.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    My experience has been that climate has little to do with the quality/amount of coat.
    I believe it is 98% genetic and 2% everything else you listed.

Here is a picture of my boy Reuben in the middle of the Arkansas summer last year where temperatures frequently hit triple digits. Thank goodness for the air conditioner, right RooBear?

I've noticed my now 4 yo's coats improved many many fold after having a litter last year, that's why I wondered if it was maturity or estrogen speaking.

Nutritionally though, I do tend to keep my youngsters lean, so have to think that has a fairly big role too. I do add Fish oil/vit E and a little kelp/green mix to the diet. Sandgrubber, what do you supplement your gang with? Our summers here are alot like your current weather. I just told someone today to slap me this summer when I start to gripe about the 104F heat.. it's been cold and snowy all winter and I'm sick of it!

I think it is mostly genetic. I will say that when the girls are retired and spayed, they get a great coat that comes in. Must be all those hormones with no where to go

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    Sandgrubber, what do you supplement your gang with? Our summers here are alot like your current weather. I just told someone today to slap me this summer when I start to gripe about the 104F heat.. it's been cold and snowy all winter and I'm sick of it!
    The stuff is called Selvita, currently made by AgTech Australia P/L. I buy the horse version . . . which is identical to the dog version but comes in 5 litre bottles -- good for around 8000 daily doses. I pass it on to others and a bottle lasts for years. I got the last lot from http://www.jsenthunting.com.au/produ...ta/selvita.htm

I don't know if anyone sells the stuff in North America. It's hard to find here.

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrubber
    Sandgrubber, what do you supplement your gang with? Our summers here are alot like your current weather. I just told someone today to slap me this summer when I start to gripe about the 104F heat.. it's been cold and snowy all winter and I'm sick of it!
    The stuff is called Selvita, currently made by AgTech Australia P/L. I buy the horse version . . . which is identical to the dog version but comes in 5 litre bottles -- good for around 8000 daily doses. I pass it on to others and a bottle lasts for years. I got the last lot from http://www.jsenthunting.com.au/produ...ta/selvita.htm

I don't know if anyone sells the stuff in North America. It's hard to find here.
    Interesting. Carp??? LOL... not sure about that! We've had some discussions locally about selenium and repro issues. Our area is known to be deficient as well. The B50 vit that I give (well, I split one btw 2 dogs) adds a little to their diet.

I'd say its not geographical, but for girls it definitely is hormonal.

Ruby has a coat for about 12 weeks a year, usually when she is in and just after her season, and then she sheds and she sheds big!

But I love her anyways

Interesting. Carp??? LOL... not sure about that! We've had some discussions locally about selenium and repro issues. Our area is known to be deficient as well. The B50 vit that I give (well, I split one btw 2 dogs) adds a little to their diet.
    I talked with someone at the local University who used to teach and research Animal Nutrition. He said that coats often respond well to daily intake of a combination of zinc and selenium.