Stupid Breeding Question - Technical Aspect of the Breeding

Thread: Stupid Breeding Question - Technical Aspect of the Breeding

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultStupid Breeding Question - Technical Aspect of the Breeding

I apologize in advance for what will likely appear to be a silly question but I'm too curious.

At flyball practice one of the gals said she bred her female again. But her female HATES alot of other dogs (not aggressive as far as I could tell, just doesn't like them). So they had a hard time breeding her. They said they held her down to get the merge done (and were happy it worked otherwise they'd have to go with AI).

As a none breeder my heart fell. I can't phantom doing this to my girl (if I had a female dog).

Is this just part of the game when it comes to breeding?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Stupid Breeding Question - Technical Aspect of the Breeding

If she had a sketchy temperament she would be spayed and never bred. Is this a Lab you are talking about?

All that being said, I would personally not put a bitch through that to avoid doing an AI. That is ridiculous. Why stress a bitch out that way? Collect the dog and AI her......nice and easy.....

The dog in question wasn't at practice but I think it's a border collie. As I said, my stomach turned when I heard the story. She was THANKFUL she didn't have to go to the AI (I'm guessing it's a money thing).

I HATE this part of flyball. Dogs with aggressive traits are bred because they are good flyball dogs. Breeds are crossed and crossed again to obtain the perfect "height dogs" (short on leg to lower jump height but fast). Litters are lugged around to tournament after tournament cuz the owners need to keep running the other dogs. Genetic/health testing? what that?! Dogs are raized to be flyball dogs first and foremost. They are to compete by the age of 1 (the limit). Like it or not, that is their destiny. If it doesn't work out they'll be rehomed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    The dog in question wasn't at practice but I think it's a border collie. As I said, my stomach turned when I heard the story. She was THANKFUL she didn't have to go to the AI (I'm guessing it's a money thing).
    EEEK! I do my own AIs. Its FREE...except the few dollars for supplies. That is shameful. Sounds like a sad life for those pups dragged around. Ugh!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

That entire scenerio (including the flyball breeder way-of-life) seems very sad to me. I had no idea...probably because I haven't ever tried out flyball before so haven't been in that environment before.

AI's are so incredibly easy- I agree with Peggy. Not only would I not want to stress out that girl just for a natural tie like that (and then keep her stressed out for however long the tie lasts), but I would NOT risk my boy with a natural breeding to a girl that would rather rip his face off than allow him to do the job. That does not sound like it was in anyone's best (or safe) interest except for the person who is looking forward to the upcoming litter.

For what it's worth, I think it probably cost me all of about $5 for all of the equipment needed for a single AI. And it is something that most breeders I know do readily and easily themselves, rather than having a veterinarian do it (not that I condone that). It isn't much more for a simple procedure done at a veterinary office. Well worth the relaxation and peace of mine, I think.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Let's forget the sport and just think of the breeding, as others said AI is much better than harming either dogs being mated. Yes, AI can get expensive because no one mentioned, you may need to do several progesterone tests, but heck, if I had been more experienced and more willing to accept not breeding Grace this time around, I could have literally waited until my intact boy told me she was ready to be bred and then just done the AI with about $10 worth of supplies with the local Denver CH instead of shipping from out of state (another cost). Do you know in hind sight, Hudler got interested the EXACT day the vet told me we needed to breed her based on progesterone testing? Imagine that.

labby is offline Senior Member

Many dogs seem aggressive during flyball, especially a prey driven breed like a BC. I love AI's and don't care to do anything else. If you breed on the right day whether natural or AI, it doesn't really matter which method you use. Most people wait too long to do an AI which is why it has a bad rap. Oh gee, she's on day 20 and she's still trying to bite the male. She must not be ready. By then you're too late.

If you do progesterone, you can pinpoint the exact day of ovulation and breed accordingly. Too many people are still guessing by going by the old "breed starting day 11 and do it again day 13". Stevie never ovulated until day 19 which is why I missed her once when I wasn't able to do a progesterone.

Laura

Thanks guys - I guess I did go on a tangent - I didn't mean to get into the sport aspect. Many people invovled in flyball are great and love their dog (taking their time to train, keeping it FUN for dog, not pushing the physical limits of the dog...) - there are bad seeds everywhere really.

I was just curious to see if it was "normal" to push a female to breed by holding her down. I'm glad to hear this isn't normal procedure

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    I was just curious to see if it was "normal" to push a female to breed by holding her down.
    No, on that part of it.

Laura