Hereditary Eye Problems other than PRA

Thread: Hereditary Eye Problems other than PRA

DefaultHereditary Eye Problems other than PRA

I'm a newbie to this forum and I'm in Australia and may not be cluey to North American attitudes . . . so please don't flame me if this is a dumb question. ;D

Has anyone had a Lab go blind or have serious eye problems from a hereditary eye disease other than PRA? Or know anyone who has a Lab that did so? I'm asking because one of the vets I use suggested that I might want to skip CERF testing after getting Optigen clearances. I did some searching and the only thing I could come up with was a form of cataract that rarely caused blindness.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Hereditary Eye Problems other than PRA

Not a dumb question at all ;D Here is a good link about inherited eye disorders:

http://www.labbies.com/eye.htm

I've always heard you should continue to CERF every year even after you do the optigen test. There are so many other things that they can be there...

meandclint is offline Senior Member

One of the ophthalmologist vets that I see is the former president of CERF and is the teacher at Tuft's veterinary school. He previously told Labrador breeders they can stop doing CERF exams at 7 - 8 years old since PRA would have shown up by then and they would be cleared of any other eye disorder previously. I would assume the reason for yearly CERF exams was to continue to check for the development of PRA. Now with the Optigen test you can rule out PRA much earlier and I don't know what is recommended now. I think eye vets and CERF won't want to stop doing exams since that is a big source of income for them.

I personally will Optigen test (or by parentage) and then CERF my own dogs as puppies (under 6 months) and then again as an adult (1 - 2 years) and that's it - anything will be seen in those two exams that may cause problems. Geriatric cataracts do not make a dog fail it's CERF exam and are a normal age related problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Personally, I would do clearances until 7 or so. Geriatric cataracts are considered ones that form after the age of 7 and g-PRA could appear at 3 or 4 years of age.
    I know of a bitch who was clear until age 5 and then they discovered the cataracts. She produced juvie cataracts in her first litter and based on the cerf results, was spayed and retired...a bit too late as she was bred a second time and that litter also produced cataracts.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

My Nadja was BYB she ended up going blind at age 9. I just took her in for shots this past week and the vet said her retinas were bad.
    My next lab will not be BYB, I wish I had been on this forum years ago!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Optigen ONLY tests for PRA, which may/may not be visible (carrier status, for instance, won't show up on CERF exams).

CERF evaluates for physical abnormalities: Catarracts, retinal folds/dystrophy (which may or may not be associated with a positive/carrier PRA status), ectropion/entropion, etc.
    Here is a list of some of the abnormalities that CERF will evaluate for (found at http://www.vmdb.org/categories.html):

Category A
    Eyelids:
    Entropion
    Ectropion
    Distichiasis
    Ectopic cilia
    Eury/Macroblepharon
    Category B
    Third Eyelid:
    Cartilage anomaly/eversion
    Prolapsed gland
    Category C
    Cornea:
    Corneal dystrophy-epithelial/stromal
    Corneal dystrophy-endothelial
    Inherited/Pannus
    Exposure/Pigmentary Keratitis
    Category D
    Iris:
    Iris/Ciliary Body Cyst
    Iris Coloboma
    Persistent pupillary membrane iris to iris
    Persistent pupillary membrane all others
    Iris Hypoplasia
    Category E
    Lens:
    Cataract*significance unknown
    Category F
    Vitreous:
    Persistant hyloid artery
    Vitreous degeneration syneresis
    Vitreous degeneration ant chamber
    Category G
    Fundus:
    Retinal dysplasia-folds
    Choroidal hypoplasia
    Staphyloma/Coloboma
    Retinal hemorrhage
    Micropapilla
    Optigen does NOT test for these abnormalities and many of these are heritable conditions.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I have an almost 9 yo PRA carrier who I will skip for the first time this year at our CERF clinic. My ACVO had told me last year she was most likely safe for juvenile cataracts and pulled up her graph on age distribution and dx of cataracts. I will go back and do her again probably next year since that is a suggestion by our breed club to CERF thru age 10. I CERF'd her mom and Grams thru age 10 as well w/o problem.

I've seen too many other things happen with friends' litters to not do CERFs on a regular basis from 7 wks thru at least 7-8 yrs. Besides genetic conditions, the eyes can be the window to so many other disease processes. Had a friend's 7 wk old puppy be dx'd w/a very rare form of cancer in her eye last year, and another discover she had a show pup that was blind (congenital) in one eye. Valuable info there.

Oh yes, and another friend owned a rescue pup who was born blind due to RD.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

JP

Many disorders can, and do, show up later in age in dogs that have cleared previously. And never forget that Optigen only tests for one sort of PRA - although the prcd-PRA is the most prevalent in Labradors, even they admit that there is at least one other type that slips through their nets!

One of my very favourite British stud dogs of all time was diagnosed with HC at the age of nine. This case was well documented at the time and caused quite a bit of ink to flow, not in a nasty way... just a bit surprising at that age. I overnighted with a breeder friend in Holland some years ago and her old stud dog was completely blind in both eyes, although he was still using his scent to pick up pigeons. He had been a popular stud in his time and had been removed from breeding after proving to be a carrier (before Optigen), and had contributed blood for the studies. However, he was blind from.... total cataract in one eye... and retinal dysplasia in the other!!! Yes, it can - and does - happen.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Many disorders can, and do, show up later in age in dogs that have cleared previously. And never forget that Optigen only tests for one sort of PRA - although the prcd-PRA is the most prevalent in Labradors, even they admit that there is at least one other type that slips through their nets!
    Very good point. The golden folks are learning they have 2 forms of PRA, and though both are quite rare, it's a concern obviously!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

A very popular stud dog here has produced the g-PRA form of PRA. It is out there and as stated, there is not test for it yet.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous