We're branching out to try new things. Advice from others who have been there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're branching out to try new things. Advice from others who have been there.

DefaultWe're branching out to try new things. Advice from others who have been there.

Hey everyone, wish us luck. Now that Leo has his CH I am beginning to work with him on other things. (Not that HE couldn't handle everything at once, but I couldn't. LOL)

I have entered him into two days of Rally the first weekend in Feb. We have never attended a class and I have never competed in Rally so this could really go either way. He is great at home and I am taking him to PetSmart to practice amidst destraction. Truthfully, I am a lot more nervous that I'll miss a station or make a mistake to get us disqualified than I am about him misbehaving. Although I do have dreams (nightmares actually) of him freaking out, charging through the gate, and humping every bitch he sees. LOL

Like I said....please wish us luck!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We're branching out to try new things. Advise from others who have been there.

Hey Page! With Rally Novice he'll be on lead, so unless he drags you out with him, you should be fine! Enjoy!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

DefaultRe: We're branching out to try new things. Advise from others who have been ther

Have fun, Page!!!

I do obedience and rally with Henry, and hands (paws?) down, he loves Rally more.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: We're branching out to try new things. Advise from others who have been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    Hey Page! With Rally Novice he'll be on lead, so unless he drags you out with him, you should be fine! Enjoy!
    Hence the nightmare of breaking through the gates and humping all of the bitches ringside. He is totally dragging me behind him in my nightmare. LOL

I know he won't do that which is why I'm more scared of missing stations or getting confused by the direction and getting disqualified.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We're branching out to try new things. Advice from others who have been there.

Just count numbers. That is what I tell all my students to do and what I try to remember to do!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

DefaultRe: We're branching out to try new things. Advice from others who have been there.

Good Luck! He can do it. Jarrett got his CD in three straight trials and he had a house full of bitches in standing heat at home.

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We're branching out to try new things. Advice from others who have been ther

He can do it! BUT make sure he's seen cones and a sign or two before. A dog I trained over the summer learned "sit" about a week before our debut - and he started learning finish then too - we had only been training 3 weeks - we got it in 3 straight tries. The wed before we left I had this awful thought that he'd never seen cones/signs before - brought him into a class and set up cones/signs for him, he did fine and we had no issues that weekend.

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We're branching out to try new things. Advice from others who have been ther

Good luck and have fun!! I tell my students to keep the sign in their vision as they perform the station so they will know where they are headed. Take advantage of the walk through and do it many times.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Good Luck Page and Leo! I am sure he will do just fine, but yes, see if there isn't a rally class nearby and see if you can't run a couple of courses beforehand.

Watch your sign numbers and have fun, make sure to walk through as many times as you can in your 10 minutes...even if everyone else only does it once.

Let us know how he does!

Thanks for all the tips you guys! There is a class about 45 minutes from me that has run throughs once a week so hopefully I can hit that at least twice before competing.

Thanks for the tips about signs and cones. I don't think he'd have a problem with them, but who knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast