Extreme newbie question... help with conformation show "lingo"! :)

Thread: Extreme newbie question... help with conformation show "lingo"! :)

DefaultExtreme newbie question... help with conformation show "lingo"! :)

I've been getting more and more interested lately in conformation, now knowing a quite few friends who are showing. A good friend of mine whom I often trial with shows her standard poodle pup.

I read in another post that a dog went RWD. I know this stands for Reserve Winners Dog but I'm not sure what this means... entirely.

For example, the lab class this morning at Oakland County was 14-17-(3-1). That means 14 males, 17 females, 3 males with championships and 1 female with championship? Any and all ages? Will they often split by age? Do the ones with championships already compete against those who don't? or?

Okay, so for this class, there would have been a Winners Dog (best male) and a Winners Bitch (best female)? Only WD and WB can get points? How are points allocated? 15 points for a championship, right?

So does RWD (and RWB) means the best pick after WD and WB? But no points?

Then, after that I get confused. Like, if a dog has his championship already, they can still compete? Not for points? *puzzled* And, when does best of breed/best of opposite sex come in?

Thanks, for your patience!! Just pretend I know NOTHING (which is not much of a pretend if it's true!! LOL!) about conformation shows! Just trying to wrap my head around it all!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Extreme newbie question... help with conformation show "lingo"! :)

Well, you've got RWB and RWD right. We sometimes laughingly refer to those as "best of losers." No points are awarded to reserves unless the winner is disqualified for some reason. Then reserve becomes winners. Once a dog/bitch finishes their championship, they become a "specials" dog/bitch. At that point they only compete for best of breed and not in the regular classes. They accumulate "points" for BOB which are awarded depending on how many dogs they defeat. If they win enough, they will appear on the national rankings. That's a simplifies version, but it should help you understand.

I can bring you over a good book tomorrow morning.

Yes, RWD and RWB are the best of the losers, thats what we were today, yeah Ruby

The classes are divided a few ways for each dogs and bitches, there are the puppy classes 6-9 months old and 9-12 months, then 12-18 months, Novice (which is for those who don't already have points or haven't won a class I think its 5 times...not sure), Bred By, American (or Canadian) Bred, Open (which is usually divided by color, black, chocolate and then yellow usually).

I'll go pack that book right now, its very easy to understand, and I just got it back from its stay at Auntie Lou's...its the Absolute Beginers Guide to Showing Your dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YAY RUBYROO!!!

Not best of the losers, but best pick after WD/WB!! That sounds better.

Was the class this morning divvied up by age? Do they always divide up the class by age/bred-by/Am-Can bred etc?

So only the dogs who have their championships already get to compete for BOB with the WD/WB? Points for rankings... got it! Where does BOS come in?

Melissa, I think I need to read your book!!

That's a simplifies version, but it should help you understand.
    That was perfect! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Where does BOS come in?
    BOS is BIS Best In Show. BOB is Best of Breed. Don't ask me why they use "in" for one and "of" for the other.

OK...here it is in a nutshell.

WD/WB compete against the Champions for Best of Breed. WD or WB could and sometimes do beat the Champions for BoB. Best of Opposite is the dog of the opposite sex of the BOB dog. For example, if a dog wins, a bitch will be given Best Opposite. If a WD or WB wins BoB, they can get the points of the other sex. For example, the bitches have enough points for a major (3+) but the dogs don't (1 or 2). If the WD gets BoB, it gets to take the points (major) from the bitches.

From there, all of the BOBs compete in their respective groups (Sporting for Labs, Goldens, Flat Coats, Setters, etc). That's where you will see the terms G1, G2, etc. That is Group 1 or first place in the group, Group 2 or 2nd place in the group. G1 means that that is the dog best representative of the Sporting group...over all the other breeds in that particular group.

From there, all of the G1s compete for BIS. There will be dog representing each group (Sporting, Working, Herding, Toy, Hound, etc). The winner will be named BIS. It is an extremely presitigous win (heck, it's prestigious just to be in the ring for BIS even if you don't win) when you think about all the dogs they had to beat to get to that point. That dog started in the breed classes, had to win over every other dog of that breed, then win over every other dog in its group, then win over every other dog in all other groups.

BOS is not best in show, it is best of opposite sex to the Best of breed, so if the BOB was a bitch, then BOS would be the best dog.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    BOS is not best in show, it is best of opposite sex to the Best of breed, so if the BOB was a bitch, then BOS would be the best dog.

Exactly. BIS would be Best In Show, or BISS (Best In Specialty Show)....neither are official "titles" though you may see them from time-to-time on a dog's webpage, etc. in front of their name- such as Travis: http://www.hyspire.com/travis.htm or my friend's dog, Tank: http://www.blueknightlabs.com/tank.html (either could feasibly have also said MBISS- or Multiple BISS- as well). Or for BIS (all-breed rather than specialty winner), Nick's page has multi BIS listed before the rest of his name http://www2.whidbey.com/sharay/nick.htm.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    I can bring you over a good book tomorrow morning.

Yes, RWD and RWB are the best of the losers, thats what we were today, yeah Ruby

That's ok Melissa, Ruby was in good company. It was my Gage who was the subject of the RWD post on another forum. I didn't really see it as best of the loosers. I saw it as meaning that he was competitive and *almost* had it. Regardless, I was proud of him and Miss Ruby too!

I'm with ya Kim, they almost had it!

They DID have the most fun ringside though, and heck, isn't that what counts?