More thoughts on Conformation as they mature....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More thoughts on Conformation as they mature....

DefaultMore thoughts on Conformation as they mature....

Not to take over Shannon's thread. But it got me thinking. I know that I think my boy is THE most gorgeous boy in the world , but many times I wonder what people who REALLY know think. I bought Jake strictly as a pet but sometimes I wonder how he measures up in the Lab world. I have lots of pics of Jake just to *chronicle* his life. I do it with my kids too ;D. Here are some pics of Jake now, what do you think, how does he measure to the Standard and dogs out there right now? Of course, I would ask my Breeder if I had intentions to show, but nope, not for me, not right now. She is a sweetie, I send her pics all the time and she thinks he is a hunk. But of course she does . Just curious.....these photos are at 1 year old, last month. It's ok, tell me what ya think, I love him to pieces regardless!!!!

and from this weekend, if he ever grows into this head....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowLab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: More thoughts on Conformation as they mature....

In my amaturish opinion I would say your dog has a little to much lip or dew lap I think its called. Other than that, he seems to have good angulation, turn of stifle, and a good tail set. Everything seems to be there, with time he will fill out.

Quote Originally Posted by mb05j
    In my amaturish opinion I would say your dog has a little to much lip or dew lap I think its called. Other than that, he seems to have good angulation, turn of stifle, and a good tail set. Everything seems to be there, with time he will fill out.
    Thanks for the input. Funny thing, one of the most endearing things about him to me is those big floppy lips . I love this part-with time he will fill out. Oh geezo, in these pics he is just at 100 lbs. Let's hope filling out is done without too much more weight! Thanks so much though, see I have heard terms of stifle, angulation and tail set, just do not know how they work on my guy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He must be very tall if hes 100 lbs at 1 year. I believe labs dont completely fill out till atleast 3 years.

I am not sure about how tall he is. I have often wondered. He just turned 1 in December. I pulled a few pounds off him recently, he is probably between 97-98 lbs today. He is one big chunk of muscle. He is a really big boy. Will go do my best to measure him....to the shoulder right? Be back in a few..... .

ok....in my feeble attempt to measure the boy....I get 23 3/4 inches. He did not want to stand still for the measure so it was a quickie! My girl Ginger stood nicely and I got her at 22 inches. I did to the top of the shoulder blade, not the top of their back. Is that right?

you measure to the withers. This is the highest point on the back between the shoulder blades.

meandclint is offline Senior Member

Oh he is so adorable!

Is he out of coat in those photos? He needs more coat - see the way his is slick to his body with a relatively thin tail?

Yes, not in very good coat in those pics. I have noticed even when he has great coat, it is not like many here. Even Ginger has more coat than him. I wondered if it was just me thinking that. Tail is a bit fatter now, but he really does have more slick coat than "fluffy". Anything to help enhance coat?

There are a lot of admiral qualities that he has, he has a very nice tailset and topline. VERY NICE. He is short coupled, strong pasterns etc. I like a bit of 'stuff' around the neck personally, (not as much as my girl, but I like to see a bit) but yes, his jowels are a bit weak, no worse then some I have seen in the show ring though.

He is lacking in coat and I'd like to see more second thigh, but I think he is nice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast