Thoughts again please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts again please

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultThoughts again please

I am still working with Pitch, hoping to someday get him into a show ring. I have taken some of your advices, and have added a few pounds to him. He is still taking obediance classes, and is setting down some. I saw his breeder lastnight, and she doesn't think he has the right look at this time for the ring. She thinks in her terms he is to "gangly". She said if his body can catch up to his head he might have a shot, that he could still grow more in the next year. He will be 1yr, next week. Am I to far behind in hoping that he can be a show prospect? With him being a year of age, and him never setting foot into a ring, is it to late? I didn't think it was going to be this tough, but with the breeder not giving me positive thoughts, I have held off doing anything with him. Do I take the chance and see what he can do? I am a novice, never even set foot in a ring. I know there is a lot of politics involved, and to be honest, I don't even know where to start. I know I have read a lot of people say trust your breeder. I guess I wish I had a second opinion. Someone else that isn't related to the breeder that could sit me down and say Yes or No.

The other problem I run into, is being Pregnant, am I going to put him that much further behind. I think coming from a novice he has a chance. At least I hope so. How late is to late to get him going on this?

Also, does anyone know of any good Lab/All Breed Clubs that I could join in the Western NY/Buffalo Area?

I have enclosed a recent picture of him. I tried to get him to stand while eating Peanutbutter. He didn't care much for the peanut butter, so that didn't go as planned. Any thoughts, or lashing with a wet noodle, will be greatly appreciated.

-Shannon

[img]http://render1.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6 xqpxQQQax00PxPJlxv8uOc5xQQQG0Qelon00lqpfVtB%3F*KUp 7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QQ0n%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442[/img]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Thoughts again please

I'm sorry you didn't get more advice from your breeder. Some dogs don't "come on" until later but you can usually see what you're dealing with. Any intact dog with full registration is allowed to enter a show ring, but you'd want your breeder's blessing.

The angle of this photo is not going to work for a crtique. What you want is a straight side on view at the dogs level.

Here are a few more shots, as you can see Dora is playing in the background, and only had my 4yr old helping me while watching TV.

[img]http://render1.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6 xqpxQQQax00PxPJlxv8uOc5xQQQG0QelGJe0oqpfVtB%3F*KUp 7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QQ0n%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442[/img]

[img]http://render1.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6 xqpxQQQax00PxPJlxv8uOc5xQQQG0QelGPlonqpfVtB%3F*KUp 7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QQ00%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442[/img]

[img]http://render1.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6 xqpxQQQax00PxPJlxv8uOc5xQQQG0QelGPl0QqpfVtB%3F*KUp 7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QQ0o%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442[/img]

Not sure if these photos are any better.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Does your breeder show her dogs? If so, I might trust her judgement. There is no magic time limit on showing your dog.

Like Nicole said the photo isn't the best for critiquing Pitch.

Any chance you can find any matches in your area to enter? The dog won't have to behave perfectly and it will give you an idea what it's like to be in the ring without the stress of it being a REAL show.

And if you are doing Obedience training, ANY thought to working on getting your CD and RN titles while you wait for Pitch to mature a bit?

Unfortunately, showing Labs is VERY competetive and you really have to have an excellent dog to do well. It's also important to have wide open eyes about your own dog to be able to see their faults. I love my Grace, but know her limitations. It's not to say you can't go to shows and have fun though.

Have you been going to dog shows and meeting other lab people? Are there clubs you can join? Are there any local breeders you can befriend? I know when I moved to Colorado, I called up the lady who lived in the Springs who had bred for 25+ years and introduced myself as new in the area and new in the breed, and she was so sweet and kind that she is now one of my valued mentors.

Some dogs do take a longer time to mature, I'd give him some time, and yes, a better picture LOL.

He has his virtues from what you have posted, nice tight feet, decent coat, nice eye color, nice bend of stifle and nice wagging tail...but a better picture is needed.

Thanks Guys. I only wish you were all neighbors of mine so we could do this all together. The breeder shows her dog/dogs, but she doesn't show them herself. I just have a funny feeling that my husband is going to win out on this dog, and he going to be come a hunter instead of a pretty boy in the ring. There is still time from what you all are saying...I guess I am impatient, and want it all to happen "NOW". I have to find a club in this area, and start talking to people. When you go to the shows, can you bring the dog with you if your not competing? So to possibly get someones opinion? Or is that not the thing to do.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Momofalab
    The breeder shows her dog/dogs, but she doesn't show them herself. I just have a funny feeling that my husband is going to win out on this dog, and he going to be come a hunter instead of a pretty boy in the ring.
    Why can't he be both? I want to compete in as many arenas with my boys as possible...not just limited showing. Again, no magical deadline. There was a 7 year old boy who got his championship last year...never had stepped into the ring and got it when he was 7. Pitch may just be slow to mature. Those additional pictures aren't much more of help. Those pictures make his tailset seem a bit low...bet again, hard to tell.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I agree, don't limit yourself. I like all-around dogs that can do lots and lots of stuff. Start out in the Rally ring and wait to see if your boy matures enough body wise to be competitive for the breed ring. If not, you can always go on to show in obedience, hunt test, agility, rally, etc. You can have a ton of fun with this guy whether or not you compete in the breed ring.

Whats wrong with being a hunting dog? I personally think that there is not enough substance in this boy judging just from pics. Did you buy him as a show prospect? I can't remember if you did or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Quote Originally Posted by Momofalab
    The breeder shows her dog/dogs, but she doesn't show them herself. I just have a funny feeling that my husband is going to win out on this dog, and he going to be come a hunter instead of a pretty boy in the ring.
    Why can't he be both? I want to compete in as many arenas with my boys as possible...not just limited showing. Again, no magical deadline. There was a 7 year old boy who got his championship last year...never had stepped into the ring and got it when he was 7. Pitch may just be slow to mature. Those additional pictures aren't much more of help. Those pictures make his tailset seem a bit low...bet again, hard to tell.
    Dani, can I ask who that was?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast