Proud to announce...my second attempt!

Thread: Proud to announce...my second attempt!

DefaultProud to announce...my second attempt!

Hello all, this is Carys. She's 5 months old and will hopefully be a dog I can show in France. She comes from Wales, one of the first litter of a novice breeder. Sadly my last big hope, my beautiful Bluebird, had to be prematurely retired as she has 6 premolars missing - means no showing and no breeding .

This time we are doing it for fun, no major ambitions and therefore no disappointments!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Proud to announce...my second attempt!

Sorry about Bluebird. That is a lot of missing teeth. Is that an automatic DQ where you live?

Good luck with your new pup!

It depends on the judge, but more often than not, yes. It's not worth the time or expense of going to shows only to be kicked out! So far, little Carys appears to have FULL DENTITION!! Hurrah!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchMaddie
    It depends on the judge, but more often than not, yes. It's not worth the time or expense of going to shows only to be kicked out! So far, little Carys appears to have FULL DENTITION!! Hurrah!
    Gotcha. Well, if she is 5 months old I think her teeth are mostly in at this point. My pups are 5 1/2 months and their adult teeth are in.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

She's very cute! So sorry to hear about Bluebird's dentition. Man, you just never know sometimes. Do you know whether or not anyone in her pedigree is prone to pass along missing teeth?

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

No I don't know if there's a specific dog passing on this problem. I had heard so many different opinions - same say it's genetic but not hereditary (which I can't quite follow myself), some say it's just one of those things. Being new to this "game" (I decided to try a hand at showing because health issues stopped me competing in agility with my other lab) I had no idea in France it was such an issue. I'd been praying for a beautiful scissor bite, which she has, and had totally ignored all the other teeth! DOH! Bleubird comes from a very well known breeder but Carys is the first litter from a friend of mine (a fanatic on lab health and pedigrees) who had lightly show her mostly pet bred chocolate girl then decided to give breeding a go and selected a very nice dog whose pedigree complemented her girls and had a reputation for producing very nice puppies. I doubt whether she is "champion" material LOL! but one can hope and have fun trying. With Bluebird on the other hand, I had far too high expectations because of where she came from. Well, live and learn.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchMaddie
    I had heard so many different opinions - same say it's genetic but not hereditary (which I can't quite follow myself), some say it's just one of those things.
    That's because we tend to misuse the term "genetic." Genetic only means that something deals with genes. It does not mean specifically something that can or can't be passed along which is most often how it is used in the dog world. For instance, a point mutation in the DNA during development can cause a dog to be born with, say, a 5th leg (this is a very basic, unlikely example but it helps to prove the point of genetic vs. hereditary). That is not necessarily (in fact, I don't know of a single case where this has been) passed along over and over from a particular stud dog or particular brood bitch. It could have been exposure to something toxic/mutanogenic (remember learning about or experiencing the era of "thalidamide babies" where a number of "birth defects"- usually shortened limbs- occurred in children as a result of a drug their mother took to battle "morning sickness?) or something else that occurred during development. I hope that makes sense... Basically, by saying that it's genetic but not hereditary, perhaps someone was talking about the fact that something could have happened during the development of the tooth buds to cause them not to form rather than something that directly passed down the lines from specific dogs (hereditary).

Either way, what a bummer. Will you be keeping Bluebird around? And congrats again on your new prospect!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Thanks for that - that makes total sense!

Bluebird will be staying around, she is now a much loved family pet along with my 2 other much loved family pets! (One choccie lab I used to do agility with and a lab/goldie cross.)

Carys is co-owned so, well, the idea is if she doesn't make the grade or isn't confirmable she can go back to her breeder who will rehome her. I expect that won't happen as she is fast becoming a fixture in our family!

I'd never make a serious breeder!! LOL!