Question about coming into season -- UPDATE: She's in season
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about coming into season -- UPDATE: She's in season

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about coming into season -- UPDATE: She's in season

Thanks for the replies. Just got an email from the breeder that she's on her third day and will be bred via AI on Thursday. Hoping for many strong swimmer spermies now.

--

If a bitch is 2 months late coming into season, can she still come into season or has she missed it? She is 5 years old and has been pretty regular. She is a working dog but was taken off of her regular schedule before she was due to come into heat. Can that cause a postponement or a complete skip? TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about coming into season

Tatyana, I've recently heard about a number of girls who have had longer intervals between their seasons than they normally would have had. In fact, I think poor Jen is still waiting for Grace to come into season, and I believe based on her history, she was due in a couple of months ago.

Changes in their exercise/activities and body fat can technically alter their hormonal changes that occur with impending heat cycles, as well. So can changes in food, alterations in photoperiods, exposure to other dogs (especially those who may be coming it or going out of season themselves), etc.

Edited to add: Beautiful signature photo of you and Scotty!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

There is no set "rule" as to how much time there is to be between seasons. Typically they will come into season when their body is ready to be bred. They won't skip a cycle, but the can have "silent" heats where there is no sign of a heat cycle, but they can (& do!!) get pregnant. Lots of "oops" litters are conceived that way.

My Marley used to be an every 8-9 mos kind of girl. No more! She is now cycling every 6 months with her sister and daughter. Kind of like the dormitory effect.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I know of a couple breeders that have been shocked with their females last heat cycles - having them come several months after they were expected.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about coming into season -- UPDATE: She's in season

And yes....We ARE still waiting. We are nearing being 2 months late. Grace is in top condition right now, best coat, holding firm at 70#, thriving on the NV kibble we are giving...and she is saying "I'm not losing that figure!"

Oh well, the longer she waits the better it will end up being as we can then have spring puppies instead of puppies locked in the house due to the snow.

Tatyana, I second that....GREAT photo of you and Scotty.

Jen, I hope Grace comes in soon for you. The wait is no fun.

Thanks for the nice comments on my new siggy. All credit goes to our wonderful professional photographer. I wish I could take photos like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    Thanks for the replies. Just got an email from the breeder that she's on her third day and will be bred via AI on Thursday. Hoping for many strong swimmer spermies now.
    Are they doing progesterone timing? If she is only on day 3...it seems early...unless they are doing the timing to see when she ovulates.

They are using a repro vet and doing progesterone, etc. Since I am not up on all of the reproductive terminology and the process, I could have relayed the information incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    They are using a repro vet and doing progesterone, etc. Since I am not up on all of the reproductive terminology and the process, I could have relayed the information incorrectly.
    Thats good. I was only asking if they were doing the testing because you said she was day 3 today and they were AI-ing on Thursday which would be day 5 of her cycle which seems early in my experience. It had nothing to do with you not knowing/not knowing correct reproductive terminology. They could however be day 3 from LH surge which would be just about right for a breeding on Thursday. In any event good luck with the breeding.

My first thought when reading the update was that you ment she was at 3 Wanna share details on the litter???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast