Do you Show your own dogs, or hire an expert?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you Show your own dogs, or hire an expert?

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo you Show your own dogs, or hire an expert?

Still in the very begining stages of the thought process of Confirmation. I would like to Show Pitch. I am clueless, I will admit that. Do I find someone to show him, or show him myself. Any books to read out there? What do I need to look for, how do I know my dog is Show quality? Anyone out there want to take me under their wings? Help!

-Shannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

krisinme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you Show your own dogs, or hire an expert?

Shannon,
    What state are you in and how old is Pitch? Do you have any stack shots of him? What is his pedigree? Have you found any show handling classes? Have you investigated local shows?
    I show my own dogs and started not knowing anything with a pet that was approved to show because she knew I had potential. The more classes I took the more competent I became. I evenutally purchased a better bitch that has done a fair amount of winning although she has no points. I have hired a handler when it was appropriate and will when needed. Shows and Labradors have become my obsession.
    Tell me a bit more about yourself. I love talking dogs, shows, and experiences.
    Kris

labby is offline Senior Member

Well first of all its conformation, not confirmation.

I show my own and I've beaten the pros. Like Kris said, take classes if you can. I always suggest you not necessarily take the dog you're going to show to the classes. Sometimes, yes, but not all the time. The dog will get burned out if you do it all the time. The dog I learned on was a horrible example of the breed. By the time I was ready to take my show bitch out, I knew enough and she hadn't gone stale from all the handling classes.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Both! I have finished dogs all by myself and have had a handler finish a dog with my putting points on them myself along the way.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I think you also need to have him on a full registration. If he was sold as a pet it probably would have been on a limited one.

I think your breeder would have to change the designation for you. Have you talked to them about it?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I have only hired a pro once, just so that I could watch how my boy looked in the ring from a spectator's standpoint. That same day the handler took a 3-pt major with him...bittersweet, since I've put every other point and a larger major at a specialty show on him myself. I had hoped to finish him myself, LOL. My show ring experience all started with him, about a year and a half ago- we've learned along the way together through handling classes, being a member of some local clubs, making a lot of friends along the way in this hobby/sport, and simply by going out there (hopefully with some friends helping to critique from ringside) and *doing* it.

Was he sold as a show prospect? Does his breeder show, and could s/he mentor you along the way?

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

See what I get for being a catholic girl...lol!

I think you also need to have him on a full registration. If he was sold as a pet it probably would have been on a limited one.

I think your breeder would have to change the designation for you. Have you talked to them about it?
    Pitch has a full registration. I have spoken to his breeder, she feels it would be tough for me to finish him in the states.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Momofalab
    See what I get for being a catholic girl...lol!
    No worries...I'm confirmed, too, and I'm Lutheran!

Quote Originally Posted by Momofalab
    Pitch has a full registration. I have spoken to his breeder, she feels it would be tough for me to finish him in the states.
    So she sold him as a show prospect, but is now thinking that perhaps he won't cut it in the ring? Are you looking to finish him or just have fun (though I can speak from experience that losing is NOT fun, LOL) along the way? What kind of pedigree does he have, and do you have any stacked pictures of him? Sometimes, getting other opinions is a great way to learn yourself.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

If your looking for something to do, I would go for it! I love showing my dogs. A far cry from where I was 4 years ago! Terrified.
    But I would hire a handler if I became more serious about it, and have considered it lately. Not out of the seriousness of playing the game or that I think my girl is all that and a bag of chips but I would like to know just what she can do in the AKC ring. But my job has not afforded me the luxury lately of getting away and doing many shows. But I would much rather show her myself.
    Kim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast