Question for serious breeders--want a pup for companion/show
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for serious breeders--want a pup for companion/show

DefaultQuestion for serious breeders--want a pup for companion/show

I am not looking at getting a new pup for a year or so but have a question for the breeders. I am kicking around the idea of getting a puppy to be a companion, therapy and maybe for show (it sounds fun to do). Now if I get a pup to show, I fully understand it can not be fixed (yes I would take all necessary steps to prevent accidential breeding). My question to the breeders on this site is how does that work? I purchase the pup from a breeder (only the reputable ones--no backyard folks here), start showing the dog and lets say for the sake of argument the pup does well. Would the breeder want to take the dog back for breeding purposes or what?? I know I may not be clear here because I really don't know anything about purchasing a puppy for show. I know that when I got Attu from a breeder she required that I get him fixed as he is strickly a companion dog. This I had and have no problems with as I leave the breeding of dogs to those special folks who know what they are doing.

Any insight, help or advice would be great.

Thanks

Attu's Mom (Dawna)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question for serious breeders--want a pup for companion/show

From what I understand, if you want to have a show-quality pup you would enter into a co-own situation with the breeder. All I really know about that is to make sure that you find a breeder that you're comfortable with.

There are many other folks here who can give you all sorts of great info.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

It really depends on the breeder. Most will only put dogs out on co-owns. Most likely, they will want to be able to get at the dog for breeding...otherwise, they would either keep the dog themselves or just place it in a pet home.
    What you need to do is get out to some shows and specialties, put some working titles on your current dog and start to network that way. Once you find a breeder who's dogs you like, stay in contact with them and let them know what your intentions are. You must show some dedication to showing though, as there are very few show quality puppies in a litter and breeders are reluctant to place show puppies with homes such as yours as often the dogs are never shown. If you have a track record in obedience or something similar, they will know that you understand the financial and time investment that goes into showing a dog.
    Good luck with your search!!
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. Right now I am in the info gathering/learning mode and trying to understand how the whole process works between breeder and owner.

Dawna

Quote Originally Posted by aklabs
    Thanks. Right now I am in the info gathering/learning mode and trying to understand how the whole process works between breeder and owner.

Dawna
    That is good that you are gathering all your information for when you decide the time is right.Ensure when you do get a pup as a potential show prospect, as no one knows for sure they are "Show Quality", that the breeder has documentation of clearances for at least hips and eyes, but i would suggest also elbows .Also I would suggest getting involve with a lab club near you and possibly have some of the breeders guide you and mentor you.We have pups on co-owns and we have pups on non breedings.

There are probably as many scenarios out there as there are puppies. Each contract is unique because each situation is unique. Don't feel pressured into a contract you aren't comfortable with...all terms are negotiable.

In my particular case with Essy, I did not want an intact bitch because I wanted a performance dog. The breeder and I had decided to spay Essy. Then she matured a little before I picked her up (or spayed her) and I could tell the breeder was having second thoughts about having her spayed. I told her I was willing to work with her. We left Essy in tact and are just playing it day by day. I have no intention of breeding so if the breeder decides she wants a litter, she will assume all costs for it and own the litter. If she chooses not to breed Essy, she will be spayed.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesouthlabradors
    .... that the breeder has documentation of clearances for at least hips and eyes, but i would suggest also elbows ....
    BARE MINIMUM should definately include hips/elbows and eyes. Elbows are a huge problem, still. Today I have heard from my second friend this year with a dog who didn't pass OFA clearances with a Grade II eval on elbows. Degenerative Joint Disease.

I would NOT consider a dog that did not do elbows along with hips, period.

I totally agree. My female came with excellent hips and eyes but no elbow clearances. We never intended to breed her - she was always going to be a companion. Now we're dealing with elbow dysplasia which is heartbreaking.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

IMO, if breeders aren't doing elbows, there is a reason for it. Elbows have been done long enough now (except field breeders), so always a sssume a dog not tested is a dog who failed or they anticipated would fail.
    Elbows are the biggest problem in the breed and I would certainly want not only parents' clearances but grandparents'...you would be surprised how many puppies that would rule out. Many breeders will gamble with elbows and if the puppy doesn't pass, they will just place it. You will become attached to this puppy and placing him likely won't be an option, so you may want to make a little extra effort to make sure he will be sound.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Dani is offline Senior Member

I spent about 14 months looking for my show potential pup. I got involved in competitions, went to dog shows, specialties and joined a labrador club. I also belong to a local all breed club. I have stewarded for agility shows and all breed shows, so I get the jist of judging, how things work and get to know the types of I like and whether or not I like that type that is winning under certain judges.

I went in wanting a chocolate boy to show...but I never really got connected with a breeder who was willing to mentor me with a litter who's pedigree I was in love with. Then I got connected to Rookie's breeder through my lab club and other recommendations. Fell in love with the litter and everything it offered. Everything worked out for me. And I do co-own Rookie.

Unfortunately, Rookie developed a torsal OCD in his hock and has had surgery. This unfortunately ended his AKC show career before it even started. The thing about showing and show potential pups, is that there are NO guarantees in showing. Even the best puppies may never turn out to do well in the ring. While Rookie will do well in other competitive areas, he will never set foot in an AKC ring...he may recover enough to go in the UKC ring...but we still have a long way to go.

Showing is not a cheap sport. Clearances, shows, traveling...all should be taken into consideration when looking into the show world.

Patience, the right mentor and learning everything you can is important! Good luck!
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast