2nd thigh ???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd thigh ???

Default2nd thigh ???

Excuse my ignorance but what is this and how can I notice it on a dog? I know nothing of showing labs and am interested in learning. I didnt want to post it in the other thread.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JP

DefaultRe: 2nd thigh ???

The first thigh stretches from the hip to the stifle (knee), i.e. all the muscles that surround the femur. The second thigh comprises everything between the stifle and the hock, i.e. the tibia and its muscles. This would be the equivalent of a human calf.

The first and second thigh together should give a muscular and well rounded appearance, ending in a strong and well bent hock.

YellowLab is offline Senior Member

Thanks for asking this question, I was just wondering the same thing yesterday.
    Perhaps there is someone that could provide a picture of a lab with exemplary thighs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    The first thigh stretches from the hip to the stifle (knee), i.e. all the muscles that surround the femur. The second thigh comprises everything between the stifle and the hock, i.e. the tibia and its muscles. This would be the equivalent of a human calf.

The first and second thigh together should give a muscular and well rounded appearance, ending in a strong and well bent hock.
    Thank you is there a way to tell if a pup has this? I have a 6 month old and wondering how to tell if he has a good one or not.

[quote=SacLab ]
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Thank you is there a way to tell if a pup has this? I have a 6 month old and wondering how to tell if he has a good one or not.
    Why not post a picture of the pup?

: Here is my attempt at pics I will try to get better ones later.

I cant get him to sit still these were taken a few days ago. Will try to get better pics. When I can get him to stand still he looks better than this.

Isnt he cute ;D

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Here is a photo of my boy showing his second thigh looking from the front:

I think when looking from the back or the front, you should see a bulbous mass of muscles above the hock as you can see on the photo above.

Ahh ok I see, well my boy is young and he is not muscular yet. He is getting more in shape since coming here and running around with the kiddos daily

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

From what I understand, genetics play a big role in which muscles can be built in which ways. You have to look at the parents and see what their second thighs look like and kind of gage your expectations by what you see in the parents. Speaking of which, what is your pup's pedigree?

I have not gotten the papers yet from the owners I got him from. here are more pictures not sure but I think he looks ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast