2nd thigh ??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd thigh ???

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 2nd thigh ???

Was this puppy sold to you as a show prospect? I don't want to sound mean, but he does not look like what might win in the ring. There is nothing wrong of course in learning how to handle a show dog with any kind of a dog and it will probably be helpful if you learn the ropes and maybe do some performance events with this puppy in getting a good reputation for yourself and getting a show prospect from a reputable breeder in the future.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh no he was not in any way portrayed as a show dog I just thought it would be fun to show him and see how I like it but now hearing that I would offend people I don't want to offend anyone. Just thought it would be fun. He is going to be a therapy dog at the local children's hospital. I didn't get him to show or breed he is our family member.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I just thought it would be fun to show him and see how I like it
    If you have full registration, then you can certainly enter him in shows. But as others pointed out, some people might get offended, the judge might excuse you and your dog, and you might not get any placements/wins. Showing is an expensive hobby and I personally would not want to spend a lot of money when I pretty much know beforehand that I won't succeed.

If you want to get as close to conformation ring without being in one, you can try obedience or agility. Many obedience/agility trials are held in conjunction with all-breed/specialty shows. So, you'll be able to get a feel for the costs of going (driving/flying/lodging/entry fees/equipment needed) to shows, will be able to put some titles on your dog, and see what the conformation ring is about. You can learn handling by attending classes and matches. JMHO.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

;D thanks. Sounds like something I might want to get into obedience or maybe agility.

krisinme is offline Senior Member

He is a cutie but not conformation "type"
    I agree take him to classes and do Obedience, Rally O, Agility, or even hunt tests. Visit the breed ring and make new friends. Just a warning, Dog shows are addictive!

Well, what I would suggest is to go to a show (minus your pup) just to watch and see what the pups entered look like that are the same age as your pup. I think you will see there is a difference and that your sweet boy is probably not what you want to show in the conformation ring. No one else there will be offended, but why spend the money? Take him to handling classes if you want to see what its all about. Thats a lot less expensive!

FWIW, there are LOTS of dog sports you can do with your pup. Obedience, Agility, Rally-O, Hunt Tests, Tracking. You can even look into Therapy Dog activities....they are very rewarding!

Good Luck.

meandclint is offline Senior Member

This dog has a good second thigh and an otter tail. Labradors that are shown should have "type" and that means that they have a certain build and look and yes a thick coat, otter tail, and overall substance is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by nwlabs
    Well, what I would suggest is to go to a show (minus your pup) just to watch and see what the pups entered look like that are the same age as your pup. I think you will see there is a difference and that your sweet boy is probably not what you want to show in the conformation ring. No one else there will be offended, but why spend the money? Take him to handling classes if you want to see what its all about. Thats a lot less expensive!

FWIW, there are LOTS of dog sports you can do with your pup. Obedience, Agility, Rally-O, Hunt Tests, Tracking. You can even look into Therapy Dog activities....they are very rewarding!

Good Luck.
    We got him to do therapy work at Schriners. So that is what we are working on

I can't tell from the photos...is he neutered? I wasn't sure if you were aware that only intact dogs can be shown in conformation. Altered dogs can show in all of the performance events though (agility, obedience, rally, etc).

Not neutered *yet* ;D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast