How much $$...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much $$...

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow much $$...

When I was searching for a lab, I was interested at the time into showing. One breeder I spoke to, said that with having no expierence behind me, I could NEVERfinish a dog to championship. This has never sat well with me. I am one if you tell me I can't, I will prove somehow I can. So while it was quiet here today, I got to thinking.....

So out of curiosity, What does it cost to show a dog, and complete him/her. This is if I did it myself. Of course I would need some form of training.

Another option would be to get someone to show the dog for me, What does that cost?

-Shannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How much $$...

I don't know what handling fees cost as I have always shown my dogs myself. But I think they can be around $50 to $100 per class the dogs are shown in, and possibly all expenses as well.

As far as other fees, it can cost between $20-30 per entry at dog shows. The AKC keeps jacking up their recording fees making the clubs raise their fees. Most say the rule of thumb is that you show your dog 10-15 times and if they aren't winning (Points from being WB or WD and/or BOB) you quite, but that could be upwards of $450 in entry fees alone. Then there are general expenses with gas, hotel, food etc. depending on far you will be willing to travel to show your dog.

Then there is the part about getting a dog that's good enough to show. Most breeders won't let their top pick go to someone without show experience. And then it all depends on the quality of the dog. I got top pick from my breeders litter through my years of involvement in the local lab club, and she showed well, firsts in her classes, but no points and now we moved to obedience, got her a title and will be breeding her. Others, like Julie (CaliforniaLabLover) got an awesome yellow boy who is just starting to win BIG and she'll finish him, being a novice, but she has the support of her local lab clubs and many expert friends.

But that breeder you spoke to shouldn't have been so mean about it. Who cares if you can't finish a dog to their CH., you can TRY, get experience, and maybe eventually manage it. It might take 2 years, it might take 20.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

My breeder has spent over $3000 to finish a dog herself. It's a LOT more if you hire a professional handler to do it for you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your replys, I knew it wasn't cheap. This gives me a ball park at least.

-Shannon

YellowLab is offline Senior Member

There is more too finishing a dog than just the amount of money you put in. If you dont have a quality dog, youll never get him/her championed no matter how much money you spend. There are people that have shown dogs for many years that have never finished them.

There is more too finishing a dog than just the amount of money you put in. If you dont have a quality dog, youll never get him/her championed no matter how much money you spend.
    I respectfully beg to differ...We've all seen dogs that aren't deserving and some who ARE deserving never do finish. Usually, its about cash flow.

I say get the best dog (male or female) you can afford and jump in, head first eyes closed.

That said, I have probably easily spent 6-$7,000 if not more a) buying my girl b) showing her MYSELF c) traveling to and from shows d) health costs e) feeding proper quality nutrition f) and on and on and on and on

We have our Canadian championship, and 9 AKC points, including one major. Another thing to consider is obedience and rally titles, why not, you'll be at the shows anyways! Right?

I am very much the same, don't EVER tell me I can't!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I'm one who thinks "Never tell me I can't/won't," too. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Others, like Julie (CaliforniaLabLover) got an awesome yellow boy who is just starting to win BIG and she'll finish him, being a novice, but she has the support of her local lab clubs and many expert friends.
    Thanks, Jen. I was talking to his breeder last week when I was visiting back east and she mentioned that, since she has no room for another boy around the house, he would have ended up neutered in a pet home if I hadn't come along. Thankfully, by then, I had already gotten involved in my local lab clubs with my other girl through obedience/rally- for those who don't know, she is a spayed female who was sold to me as a "show prospect" and who is an orthopedic trainwreck in addition to not being anywhere close to a competitive show prospect...funny how so many of us live and learned through our first "show hopefuls!"

Anyhow, with some enthusiastic encouragement (and by helping to attract interest from those in the club and elsewhere), we started handling classes taught by some of the breeder-judges in the club and others with a lot of experience showing dogs. It has been invaluable! And now, I have a wonderful group of friends to travel to shows with, to split gas/hotel/etc. fees and for the ringside comraderie and cheering sections for whoever happens to be in the ring.

Showing is an expensive hobby- it isn't about the entry fees, which add up but aren't really the "expensive" part, it is about the equipment, travelling, finding hotel rooms (or a friend with a trailer on-site) that allow dogs near shows, vet bills, health clearances (such as OFA hips/elbows, Optigen, cardiac echocardiograms, etc.)- which of course are especially necessary if you plan on breeding, medications, grooming stuff (my favorite is the waterless shampoo that I seem to go through to get the green "goo" off of my dog's rear legs...ugh!), etc. etc. etc. That's up and beyond the actual cost of a "show quality" dog if you haven't bred one yourself.

Handlers cost much more- according to friends who use handlers exclusively, it isn't unheard of to pay upwards of $400-500 a weekend for handling fees, boarding costs (at the show), grooming fees, hotel costs (split between the dogs' owners who the handler has with them at that show), etc. That is definitely not something I could afford to do on a regular basis. I "hired" a handler (who is a friend of mine) once just so that I could see what my dog looked like in the ring (I don't have a video camera and just can't manage to see my dog from the end of the lead, moving and stacking and so forth) and lo-and-behold, he put a major on him. It was a bitter-sweet occasion since every single other point I've put on myself, including his 2nd major at a specialty the following weekend. It would have been cool to say that I finished him myself but oh well. Can't argue with that first major! ;D

When I compare it to my previous hobby, though (equestrian events), all of the above is absolutely pocket change. LOL

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

So when looking for that show aspect, do you trust a breeders word? Or do you know what your looking for? What is the best way to get that "Show" Dog. With breeders mostly offering Limited Registration, how do you break down that barrier? Would it be best to get into a club and get to know people, and cross fingers? I don't want to just get a dog from a BYB, just to have a dog I can show. Where do I start? Sorry so many questions for this hour

Quote Originally Posted by Momofalab
    So when looking for that show aspect, do you trust a breeders word? Or do you know what your looking for? What is the best way to get that "Show" Dog. With breeders mostly offering Limited Registration, how do you break down that barrier? Would it be best to get into a club and get to know people, and cross fingers? I don't want to just get a dog from a BYB, just to have a dog I can show. Where do I start? Sorry so many questions for this hour
    Go to specialties and see what dogs catch your eye, then contact the breeder of those dogs and start a dialogue with them about getting started, etc. Meanwhile, why not put an obedience title on your current dog? It will show the breeder your commitment to doing more than just breeding. Also, join a local Lab club and become active. It is a great way to see local breeders and their dogs in another venue than just the breed ring. When you find a breeder whose dogs you like, ask if they are willing to mentor you. You really do need that when starting out. Also, be open to a co-ownership. A co-ownership can be pretty much anything that the two involved parties want it to be. I just wrote one up between a friend and I this last weekend. Communication is key!

Good Luck.

We have one week left of Rally with Pitch, honestly I think he needs a few more lessons before he is ready, but not bad for 7mos of age. I am greatful to have a group like all of you that are here to answer my questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast