WoooHoooo. More good news! Found out that Allie Cat is 4 weeks in whelp to

Thread: WoooHoooo. More good news! Found out that Allie Cat is 4 weeks in whelp to

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultWoooHoooo. More good news! Found out that Allie Cat is 4 weeks in whelp to

Boradors ByGeorge (Spelling?). Sharon has said that I will be at the top of her list for a female puppy. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Guess I'll be driving to Missouri in January.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: WoooHoooo. More good news! Found out that Allie Cat is 4 weeks in whelp to

Good news about the pups...but stupid newbie thought,

>

>

WHY ON EARTH WAS SHE SHOWING HER IN WHELP?

DefaultRe: WoooHoooo. More good news! Found out that Allie Cat is 4 weeks in whelp to

"WHY ON EARTH" ARE YOU ASKING THE QUESTION IN CAPITAL LETTERS?

Whether a bitch is shown in whelp or not is totally up to the breeder/owner.

Showing should not be a stressful event for a bitch, for most it is part of the weekly routine or at least something that is done regularly and is a nice day out. I know my bitches love a day out at a show and being in early pregnancy doesn't change that in the least for them. It's not an endurance trial - it's a couple of trots around the ring and a bit of a pat. The rest of the day is spent laying in a crate watching the world go by under a big shady tree. I have a bitch who would be stressed by a "benched show" so I have avoided that while she's been in whelp. Most other shows are a 20 minute drive down the road and I know by her reaction to me wearing my "show shoes" that she knows it's her day out.

Congratulations on the prospective new pup. Heres hoping that there's a little winner tucked away in there

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Its entirely her decision, and I am not saying it is stressful, but a specialty show, any show carries a lot of disease along with it.

I personally wouldn't do it, and though I have seen it done, I always have a totally differnt opinion of the breeders that do it!

To me, and this is personal to me, it says that the litter isn't all that important to them.

[quote=luvmydogz2much
    To me, and this is personal to me, it says that the litter isn't all that important to them.
    [/quote]

Could be that they don't see it has a huge risk.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    Geez Melissa...thats a bit judgemental of you. I am quite frankly surprised at that comment. :

So...we should keep the girls in a bubble while in whelp? I don't think so. You try and tell a bitch that is used to and lives to say go hunting that she cannot go simply because she is a few weeks in whelp. No way! Leaving her behind would cause more unnecessary stress on the bitch than letting her go along to pick up some birds. I have not personally shown a bitch in whelp, but I would not judge someone who chose to do so.

Do people stay secluded when pregnant? No they do not. A little common sense goes a long way.

I said that it was my opinion, and I form opinions of others every time I speak with them, or read about their actions. I have opinions of pretty well everyone here, as I am sure others have of me. Correct or incorrect, as I have never met this person, and I may very much like them and respect them, and they may have very good reasons for showing a bitch 4 weeks in whelp.

I never said that bitches should stay in seclusion Peggy, not once, go back and read my post, and common sense I have, thank you. I think that was awful rude of you Peggy. If you post about things on a public forum, you are going to get opinions, and I gave mine, as well as congratulations on the impending litter. I am sure those will be gorgeous puppies! Humans do not stay in seclusion, but they are advised to avoid situations which may harm the fetus, such as encountering others with the herpes zoster virus, or cleaning the kitty litter. I am sure there are a million babies born to mothers who changed the litter, but why risk it?

I ***PERSONALLY*** can't imagine a show being half as important as the puppies my girl is possibly carrying. Imagine the sense of guilt you would have if something went wrong. And I sincerely hope nothing does!

Going on a personal hunt is different, there aren't 1000 other dogs from all walks of life waiting to spread viruses.

Its my opinion and I am entitled to it, agree or not, I know most of you are thinking the same thing, just won't type it. I am not ashamed to say that is my opinion.

Here, I'll even sign my name to it

Melissa Kime
    Windsor Ontario Canada

I said that it was my opinion, and I form opinions of others every time I speak with them, or read about their actions. I have opinions of pretty well everyone here, as I am sure others have of me. Correct or incorrect, as I have never met this person, and I may very much like them and respect them, and they may have very good reasons for showing a bitch 4 weeks in whelp.

I never said that bitches should stay in seclusion Peggy, not once, go back and read my post, and common sense I have, thank you. I think that was awful rude of you Peggy. If you post about things on a public forum, you are going to get opinions,
    So...it is rude of me to voice my opinion, but not for you to voice yours? That doesn't seem right Melissa and I am sure you will agree with me on that. I felt you are being judgemental (and in all CAPS like you were shouting) in your post regarding the topic and the little I know of you it simply surprised me. Period. Nothing else should be read into my comments.

I didn't say *you* felt we should seclude a bitch in whelp. I simply posed the question "Should we?" As far as my comment regarding common sense goes...I was referring to whomever has a bitch in whelp making these decisions and not you yourself. During hunts, we come across all different dogs...so they are exposed, but I feel the impact is minimal, especially in the early weeks when you don't even know if they are pregnant.

....and now back to the original intent of this thread....Congratulations on the upcoming litter Ruff'nTumble.

[quote=nwlabs ]
    ....and now back to the original intent of this thread....Congratulations on the upcoming litter Ruff'nTumble.
    Yes, absolutely, congratulations on the new pupper!