What is the correct Collar for the Breed Ring?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the correct Collar for the Breed Ring?

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat is the correct Collar for the Breed Ring?

I am new to confirmation showing. I have a 4 month old male pup that I am going to show in Breed. I have received conflicting info about the best collar to use. Some of my friends that show in breed recommend a choke chain - light of course - but good for control. Another person told me that lab judges like to see a lot of free stacking and prefer a one piece leash & collar. And then another suggestion was to use a rubber tipped prong collar for all training and only use the choke chain in an actual show. YIKES!!! I am confused to say the least. We have started obedience training with him. I just started a confirmation class as well. I know this might be an individual preference thing but I am interested in what those who have shown in breed would suggest. Many thanks for helping me. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: What is the correct Collar for the Breed Ring?

It depends on the shows you go to. I use a snake chain for all breed shows. Most people stack at all breed shows but I still let Essy free stack. I think the one piece collars are preferred for specialties where the dogs are almost always free stacked.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Val from Paws and Tails who use to breed and show Labs, Bill (Caleb's handler) and Sarah all told me to get a nylon slip collar with the matching lead that laces through (without a clip). That's all I have used on Caleb. I have a tan color that matches him.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I prefer an English-style sliplead and a free-stack...but having said that, I only use them at specialty shows.

At all-breed shows, I use almost exclusively a "snake" chain (small, tightly-linked chain- like these: http://www.jemarpet.com/shop/item.as...=1333&catid=82) on my yellow, though I have used a tan nylon one occasionally (and on black dogs, especially, the black nylon slip collars seem to look great at shows, instead of really "cutting" the picture in half from afar having the metal chains stand out so much against that black fur). I also always use silver just because I don't like the way the gold looks, on a yellow or on anything else. I just recently purchased a very nice, very STRONG thin bridle light brown leather lead that I usually use with the chain at all-breed shows.

In talking to a handler friend of mine, I found out that my lead was much too long to provide a "pretty picture" when I was trying so hard to quickly get all of the extra lead taken up in my hand (often with loops hanging down) for gaiting/down-and-back. I never even thought about getting a shorter lead since my boy really likes to move out on a looser lead. It works much better for us! Amazing the tips/tricks you can learn from the pros.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Thanks everyone who answered my question.

Susan - It was Val from Paws and Tails who suggested the one piece collar and leash and she did say it would absolutely be what to use in a specialty. Will you have the collar you use with you at the Huron River show? I think if I could see what you are describing it would help me. The one I have is the kind of collar you can tighten depending on where you place the piece that slides but it is certainly not a chain collar. Val did say it was a better choice when one is trying to free stack. (At least I knew what that was
    even though I don't know much about confirmation showing.)
    You showed Caleb in UKC breed yourself, right? Do you always use a handler for AKC and if so why?
    How did you do this weekend?

I went to the Rubber City Match on Sunday and the judge for the Sporting Group suggested a chain collar. He said it really gives better control. This match was an All Breed show.

Lydia - I see what you are saying and the woman who suggested the one piece (Val) did ask me if I would be doing All Breed or Specialties and I hope to do both so that's what I told her. She did say she thinks a chain collar is too heavy on a puppy but I have to say that I've seen some that look like they would be very lightweight.

CaliforniaLabLover - Thanks for the web site link. I am going there now. It was a snake chain collar that the judge recommended. I would think a black collar on a black dog must be a fantastic look because it would almost be as if no collar was being worn. I must admit, I am having trouble wrapping up the leash to the correct length but this is still really new to me so I am hoping I will get to be more adept.

Thanks again. - I do appreciate the help. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover

In talking to a handler friend of mine, I found out that my lead was much too long to provide a "pretty picture" when I was trying so hard to quickly get all of the extra lead taken up in my hand (often with loops hanging down) for gaiting/down-and-back.
    I had a 48" lead at first but felt it was too long so I had a custom lead made for Essy. It was about 36" long. Even that was too long. I was eventually given a beautiful braided 24" lead and it is the perfect length IMO.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2yellowlabs
    Susan - It was Val from Paws and Tails who suggested the one piece collar and leash and she did say it would absolutely be what to use in a specialty. Will you have the collar you use with you at the Huron River show? I think if I could see what you are describing it would help me. The one I have is the kind of collar you can tighten depending on where you place the piece that slides but it is certainly not a chain collar. Val did say it was a better choice when one is trying to free stack. (At least I knew what that was
    even though I don't know much about confirmation showing.)
    You showed Caleb in UKC breed yourself, right? Do you always use a handler for AKC and if so why?
    How did you do this weekend?

I went to the Rubber City Match on Sunday and the judge for the Sporting Group suggested a chain collar. He said it really gives better control. This match was an All Breed show.
    I didn't show this weekend. Had Maria Duthie in for a massage seminar. Was wonderful!

I do show Caleb in the UKC shows myself. No pro handlers allowed unless they are showing thier own dogs. I have used a handler in AKC shows and I have shown him myself. Depends on the judge. Breeder judges seem to like the English style of lead and all-breed judges I use the regular. I will have both leads with me at Huron River
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

These are nylon slip collars:
    http://www.dog-training.com/wcnyloncollar.htm
    You can see that the colors offered here are black, white, tan, and brown (though it looks like they only have the black and white pictured).

I didn't get mine from them (rather from a dogshow vendor), but for my yellow, I have a light tan with a matching nylon lead. They are used just like a chain, only they don't have quite as much strength with a strong dog and they don't show up quite as well (the idea is to blend them with the fur so you can't see them as much). I rarely use this, though.

The slip-leads (the type that it sounds like perhaps you got?) and which I use most commonly in the ring at specialty shows can be seen here (these particular leads in this link have charms attached to them- they normally just have a metal ring that you slide the rest of the lead through to make a loop): http://www.weathertopcollection.com/...Leads-3-1.html
    There is not nearly the same control, and the dogs can (and have) back right out of the loop and end up loose, so training and practice is definitely key to using them. All of the dogs wearing leads in this link have slipleads on: http://www.hyspire.com/hyspire_boys.html

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have a thin silver chain collar and a 2ft brown lead for all breed. For specialties, I use a nylon slip from this place: http://www.stitchedpaw.com/leads.html

I went to each link and I am beginning to get the picture. I am sure I have a slip lead. It does not look exactly like the leads in the Hyspire link (there is a Hyspire dog in my pup's pedigree) or the Weathertop link, but certainly close enough. I have been using it with limited success on my pup and I see that he could easily slip out of it (Is that why they call them slip leads - LOL- just kidding.) The color I have is sort of a beige but it does kind of match the color of his fur.
    Thanks again for the help. I will be looking for a snake chain. My pup is still small but will soon be at pulling weight I am sure and I understand the advice about when the dog is strong and the lead is weak.

Susan - I've never used Marie but I know so many people who think she is just marvelous. FYI - CABTC Nov. premium is posted on the CABTC web site.

Thanks Cynlabs and CaliforniaLabLover for your help. B
    Betsy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast