If you Neutered your Labrador...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you Neutered your Labrador...

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultIf you Neutered your Labrador...

At what age did you, and why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: If you Neutered your Labrador...

Are we talking boys here?

I haven't neutered either of my boys, but I ask my puppy buyers not to neuter the boys until 12-18 mos of age.

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I have heard that about waiting with labs till that age, so that is what I was leaning on. I picked up my boy from the kennel today/Breeder owns it, and she has been asking since he was 6mos same question, I see you don't have him neutered yet. I feel speechless like I am doing something wrong. Should I of had him neutered by now...he is 7mos old.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ahh...well...unless you agreed to neuter him by 7 months, I don't see any reason to feel guilty.

I would explain that there are theories about waiting until 12 - 18 months in labradors, etc, etc, etc. Unless your breeder specifically stated in your contract to neuter before then, he/she shouldn't have a problem with it. My boys were 20 months. I waited that long to get an appointment. Plus, we had to neuter due to the aggression issues between them.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Was it YOUR breeder you had your boy kenneled at, or the owner of the kennel is just some other dog breeder?

It all depends on the contract you had with your breeder when you bought your dog. Some feel it's important to let the dog mature before removing his testicles and specifically ask you to wait, even if they do have a spay/nueter contract. Some don't care and think it's more important to enforce the alteration to make sure NO BREEDING happens.

I neutered one boy at 18 months because his conformation is awful. I will neuter another boy who has just had surgery for elbow dysplasia (don't want those genes perpetuated).

I also neuter pet puppies before they go to their new homes. It is the ONLY WAY to guarantee that they won't end up in the hands of puppy farmers or be bred from by some idiot. I've done enough rescue to know how untrustworthy people are and I am well aware how many dogs are PTS in pounds every day, both in my country and in yours.

I waited to neuter Ruger at 18 months. Many years ago I would have done it at the age of 6 months which was the norm for any breed, but I did my research this time and chose to neuter at 18 months due to the research I did on the benefits of neutering larger breeds at a more mature age. Since we had no aggression or other issues that popped up in the meantime ( if you know what I mean) it worked out for us. Im very happy we waited, and our breeder had no problems with our choice. I certainly would not feel guilty about your choice if you wait. You have to do what your feel is right for you and your dog.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Lots of info out there that proves that neutering later is better. Best to wait until the growth plates are closed. Early spaying and neutering has been proven to heighten the likelyhood of knee and other joint injuries (which Labs can be prone to due to their activity level) as well as other health issues. Even the cancers that they say early spaying and neutering helps prevents is true but what they don't tell you is that it increases the likelyhood of other forms. I had my other boy done at 9 months. Current boy isn't done at all and probably won't be.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by Momofalab
    I have heard that about waiting with labs till that age, so that is what I was leaning on. I picked up my boy from the kennel today/Breeder owns it, and she has been asking since he was 6mos same question, I see you don't have him neutered yet. I feel speechless like I am doing something wrong. Should I of had him neutered by now...he is 7mos old.
    If you didn't have a contract stating he had to be neutered by a certain age but it is a neuter contract you might want to explain to the breeder that you will honor the contract but are waiting for his growth plates to close.

As a breeder, I used to have in my contract that they had to be spayed/neutered by 9 months of age. I do sell all my pet puppies on spay/neuter contracts and give a rebate to the owner once proof of that is received. However with this last litter I did tell people to wait until about 15 months with the male I sold. A female from that litter was spayed right at 6 months and the vet talked them into having the dew claws removed, too, which upset me as I left them on on purpose with this litter (due to other studies I have read as well as having spoken with Chris Zink about it at her seminars). I just hope she doesn't develop incontinence issues.
    Deb H.
    Dunn's Marsh
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast