Pro Handler vs Myself

Thread: Pro Handler vs Myself

DefaultPro Handler vs Myself

Hello all,

As some of you may know, there is our SVLRC specialty, along with supported entry this weekend, all 4 days of 4 point majors (hopefully they all show) anyways, I will be working for a pro handler that weekend, she also shows labs, and does not have any dogs in her Open Black dog class. I was thinking maybe I should put him on the pro I am working for, like I said, she has no other client dogs in the class, and she would still charge me (even though I work for her), but it might make the judge take a secoind look, versus if I show him.
    Anyways, I was thinking about it, I know the two days of the specialties, the judges are from England, so they probably won't recognize the handler anyways, so I will probably show him myself, unless I am too busy, then will have my sister show him.
    But I was thinking maybe I should put my boy on her for the two-day supported entry. There will be over 40 dogs, and 10 in just his class, and I want him to look his best. But what do you think? Go with the handler, and hope for a better shot, or stay with me, and save the money?

Thank You.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Pro Handler vs Myself

If you want to improve your handling skills, show him yourself. I show my dogs myself and I also have a friend who is a handler who will show my dogs. I will be showing Jammer myself at two shows this weekend.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I'm pretty new to this, too, but have been to every specialty show in California that I could in the past year (LRCSC, San Joaquin Valley LRC, Golden Gate LRC, High Desert LRC, San Diego LRC, SVLRC). I just love them- the dogs, the people, the comraderie, the feasts, everything. ;D

What I've found is that at least with specialty shows out here in CA, most people show their dogs themselves. Some are outstanding handlers without being pros, and some aren't very good at handling but still do quite well. One of my friends showed one of her stud dogs to BISS twice last year after having to hobble around the ring on a foot she injured the night before the first day and thought was broken (thank goodness x-rays showed it wasn't after the 2nd day). A gift that pros seem to have is that they really know how to get the most out of the dogs they handle. With judges I've seen judge from the UK, it seems like they don't care quite as much about perfection as much in the way the dog stacks, etc. and you're right- they probaby don't care much about the "faces." I think this is the perfect opportunity for you to get your feet wet. Maybe have her watch you in the ring if she has any time and give you handling tips/tricks?

I will be handling my own dog at SVLRC, too, and while I've been to a few handling classes put on by our lab club, I'm nowhere near a pro. It is much more fun at the specialty shows to be in the ring yourself with a dog you're proud to have on the end of the lead. Most of the people I've met in labs are very cool to get to know, too...and chatting in the ring while awaiting your turn to show is a great way to get to know people!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    I'm pretty new to this, too, but have been to every specialty show in California that I could in the past year (LRCSC, San Joaquin Valley LRC, Golden Gate LRC, High Desert LRC, San Diego LRC, SVLRC). I just love them- the dogs, the people, the comraderie, the feasts, everything. ;D

What I've found is that at least with specialty shows out here in CA, most people show their dogs themselves. Some are outstanding handlers without being pros, and some aren't very good at handling but still do quite well. One of my friends showed one of her stud dogs to BISS twice last year after having to hobble around the ring on a foot she injured the night before the first day and thought was broken (thank goodness x-rays showed it wasn't after the 2nd day). A gift that pros seem to have is that they really know how to get the most out of the dogs they handle. With judges I've seen judge from the UK, it seems like they don't care quite as much about perfection as much in the way the dog stacks, etc. and you're right- they probaby don't care much about the "faces." I think this is the perfect opportunity for you to get your feet wet. Maybe have her watch you in the ring if she has any time and give you handling tips/tricks?

I will be handling my own dog at SVLRC, too, and while I've been to a few handling classes put on by our lab club, I'm nowhere near a pro. It is much more fun at the specialty shows to be in the ring yourself with a dog you're proud to have on the end of the lead. Most of the people I've met in labs are very cool to get to know, too...and chatting in the ring while awaiting your turn to show is a great way to get to know people!
    Thank you for your help! Those are all certainly things to consider. Wel, that's very true. I have been to specialties (namely SVLRC and GGLRC) for the past 3 years, and love them to death, I love the laid back atmosphere and how much fun everybody has with their labbies.
    I have been ha ndling for about 4 years, granted, I'm not pro yet, but I have handled alot of different breeds. Mys siter will havbe to show my boy atleast one of the days, especially Friday, since I will be busy in Obedience and working for my pro.
    I think I will just see how things go then Monday. Whta I was looking in for her to ahndle, wasn't the specialty shows, but rather the AB shows, since they aren't from England, maybe they will recognize her, and will have liked what she had in the past, nad hopefully then if I go with it.

One of the main reasons I'd put my dog on her, is so maybe I could have a better chance, my boy isn't the most gung-ho lab about showing, he seldomly wags his tail for 'boring' family memebers, but goes crazy when someone else handling him, and wags his tail like he should.
    I would love to show him myself, but I don't want to mess up when 4 point majors are involved.. Thanks!

I guess i'll just see what happens there, and go from there...

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I like handling myself too, and I kind of went into the sport thinking of it as something that I can do with my dog. But I am approaching the fork in the road where I don't know if my bitch's lack of winning is due to my lack of skills or if she just isn't quite up to par with the other dogs. I have started thinking about trying a professional handler just to see if it makes ANY difference although I am scared of the cost. We're on a "conformation hiatus" right now and competing in Rally so that she will be titled when bred in October, but I am thinking of when she is back in shape next year to try a handler to see if she can get a WB. I don't know.

If you have an opportunity, I might try it.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Around here if you want to finish a dog, you need a pro. Competition is that tough.