Need advice for my Lab "Trooper"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for my Lab "Trooper"

DefaultNeed advice for my Lab "Trooper"

Hay...

I'm Paul from Indonesia, I have a Labrador Retriever "Trooper". I want to bring him to the show, but I need your advice about my lab regarding the standard, and how to improve his performance for show.

Trooper age is 11 month, male. I have no a big garden, so I always run with him 1 km in the morning and 1 km in the night after I'm going back home form work on the road.

I hope somebody will help me with give what I need because in Indonesia, Labrador is not really popular.

Thank you very much for your attention, sorry my English is very bad, but I try to write for your understanding.

Special Thanks,

Paul Andow

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need advice for my Lab "Trooper"

I don't know anything about the labrador breed standard or "types" of labradors in Indonesia, but I think it is great that you want to try showing him. Definitely get in touch with experienced, reputable labrador breeders around you who could be "mentors" to teach you all that you need to know about showing in your country. The information they'll be able to share with you will be unparalleled. They should also be able to give you a good critique of your dog based on their own experiences with the labrador ring in Indonesia.

As far as your conditioning work, I think it is great you're exercising him, but that seems like an awful lot for an 11-month-old as far as "forced exercise" is concerned, especially higher-impact exercise that could injure his growing/developing bones and joints. To me, showing them in working condition means that they are well-muscled and have stamina. I don't think they need to be long-distance Olympian marathon runners, *especially* at just 11 months old.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Thanks for your reply. In Indonesia we use FCI standard but I think not a many different with AKC standard. As I mention before, not many Labrador population also not many reputable Labrador breeder in Indonesia.
    I learn from them to bring my Lab to the ring, but difficult to get the knowledge about how to build our Lab to be the champion or what my opportunity to be the champion (from the head, the muscle, etc). I know in your country, the knowledge about Labrador is far better than my country that's why I come to this forum. Maybe you can suggest me what a better exercise for my 11 months old Labrador or you can share your opinion about my Labrador structure in your breed standard. Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Andow
    Maybe you can suggest me what a better exercise for my 11 months old Labrador
    Is there any way you could swim Trooper? That's pretty much the ideal way to condition a young labrador.

In my city, Jakarta have no a save river for my dog to swim. Some rich people had his own swimming pool for the dog. If this is the only way, maybe difficult for me to build my Trooper. Do you see the potency of my Trooper.

Paul you've asked for an opinion on your labrador.

I don't think Trooper fits the Labrador standard very well. He is very handsome and I'm sure he's a wonderful pet. If you'd like to try showing then go ahead - you'll have fun and learn a lot. Trooper doesn't fit the standard well enough to be included in my breeding program.

I like to hear your opinion, would you like to give me more detail, why Trooper didn't fits the Labrador standard. Today I have 5 Labradors in my home, 3 male and 2 female. My target in the next 2-5 year, I will be a good breeder like you and can be produce a good show quality of Labrador. Please advise me....thanks

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Paul, I don't know what the quality of dog is in your area but I think he would be competitive. You might not be in the US, but I think you will do OK there.
    He has good coat for a yellow, nice head and expression, decent topline and tail set, and a correct otter tail. When looking at labs judges should not fault judge and they will first look at head coat and tail and he is strong in those departments. He is short coupled, has a decent rear...well let down at the hocks and looks like his second thigh will come on.
    His biggest fault is his front. It is hard to tell from the pic but his assembly may be a bit too far forward and he appears to be a bit tied in. Having said that, he is a young dog and that chest may drop. The way you have him stacked, he is racked, meaning his front legs are angled out ahead of him. He is also rocking back on his rear and taht doesn't help. To make his front look the best it can be, you need to make sure when stacking him that his front legs are as perpendicular to the ground as possible...straight up and down. Then get him to lean forward into the bait and that will show his front off to better advantage.
    I would like to see a pic of him at 8 weeks...do you have one? Also, what is his pedigree?
    About the exercise, I certainly do not find that excessive for an 11 month old dog!!!!!! Personally I don't think it enough. I would try to find some hills and do some hill work with him to help develop his rear and do a few retrieves with him and that will help keep him in shape.
    Males are slower to mature than bitches and this can be a difficult age to look at some of them. That is why I would like to see a pic at 8 weeks.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Thank you very much for your opinion and advice. This is Trooper's picture when he is 8 weeks old also his pedigree.

[attachment deleted by admin]

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Very cute baby, and he looks like he has a nice pedigree (lots of popular dogs in there)... I look forward to seeing how Trooper matures. It looks to me like he may just be slow in maturing- I wonder how much forechest, substance, and angles he will have when he's 4 years old, when he truly "blossoms?" Anyhow, he is at a very rough age for labradors boys, and chances are, he'll get much better with age. Don't overdo the exercise at this age, especially high-impact activities. And be patient. I think he'll surprise you even in a year or two when you go back and look at these photos from 11 months old.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast