Family comparison (parents-offspring)

Thread: Family comparison (parents-offspring)

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultFamily comparison (parents-offspring)

This kindof caught me off guard. I don't know that I've ever considered that Monty's head was anything like his sires (and in fact, his breeder thinks that it is much more like his dam's, especially after seeing him in person as an "adult" at the Potomac this year), but I found a photo from when he was 12 months old that actually reminds me more of his sire... It was just an interesting "aha" moment that I just thought I'd share, LOL. He seems to be a good mix of both his parents, but this was kindof fun. ;D

Monty:

Sire:

Dam:

(not the best representation of her, but it was a more recent photo than others I've seen of her, cropped as a headshot from a win photo)

Anyone else care to share? This is a lot of fun to see what came from the breedings!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

DefaultRe: Family comparison (parents-offspring)

I do see a bit of Monty in Drake's mouth and "smile". I saw a photo of his mother in an LQ one time and thought "Oh my he looks JUST like his mother!" I think it's the smaller ears and eyes and expression that are the same between mother and son.

I was always told that Clint looked like his father. I have a few show photos of him and he does but recently the family sent me a snapshot of his father from head on (he's almost 16!) and I saw that their expression and eyes and ears are nothing alike. The general shape and backskull and muzzle are the same though. Anyway I started to do some research on his dam's side since I thought he more resembled her and her offspring in expression. I found a few relatives that looked JUST like him. It was so neat to see.

I'd love to see some photo comparisons, Sharon!

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Interesting thread. I don't know if I have any photos for comparison...

I think Grace favors her Dam and her Dam's sire.

This is Mom

This is Grandpa

This is Half Bro

For me, I see a definate resemblance in the heads.

Well, I don't really see a lot of Ruby in either mom or dad!

This is Ruby

Daddy Suede
    www.ginanderlabs.com

Momma Quest www.bluesouthlabradors.com

But I think she looks most like Molly, her maternal grandmother, I just have to scare up a picture!

Jen- I can definitely see a family similarity there.

Melissa- It looks like Ruby *could* have a bit of a more feminine version of her sire's head in profile, but she doesn't share many of his other characteristics, does she? Her mom is really a pretty girl- look at that length of neck and turn of stifle!

Now that I'm looking at these, it is fun to see the comparison between body styles as well. Here are full body photos of the dogs pictured above:

Monty (almost 18 months old here, so no doubt he has a lot of maturing to do for *true* comparisons since he's still such a "teenager"...and yes, I know he's being baited too high. I was trying to find a photo where the dogs were at least kindof stacked in the same way...this one was taken of Monty in his sweeps class at the Potomac by our very own Labby)-

Here is another one I found of him at the Potomac, from an Asian labrador breeder's website (almost in the same area of the ring, too!)-

Sire (Drake)-

Dam (Shelby)-

Well, Julie,

You know baby Andie pants you like so much?

She is both Quest's 1/2 sister and granddaughter, so it doesn't suprise me you might like Quest.

Beyond being a pretty girl, she is so sweet and super spoiled rotten, that's HER chair.

As you can tell, the apple hasn't fallen far in Ruby, spoiled spoiled spoiled!

She has a different head then Suede, she has a lot more stop and back skull. She could use just a smidge more muzzle length from him though

Here's Molly. CH Hardwood's Molly McButter, Ruby takes after her in every way, from the head to the body.

When I visited her owner last summer, it creeped her out having Ruby in the house (Molly passed away a few years ago) she said even Ruby's mannerisms were Molly, she was drinking from the water bowl and she just sat and watched her. We watch Molly movies all night long.

melissa, Ruby is the mirror image of her granddam Molly but also Molly's sire Stryker who was a very put together boy . i do see many qualities in her than come from Quest ( ruby's dam) and improved upon that Quest lacked.With that breeding from Quest and Suede, the blacks in the litter seem to get more of their dam qualities and the yellows got the granddams qualities.one thing the feet are great. i can say we have great feet.it nice to see that the dam's line is strong for genes.