Okay newb question

Thread: Okay newb question

LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

QuestionOkay newb question

We're thinking of extending the family in 2-3 years. So I'm already looking a breeders to find one I really like and to have a good relationship with her before we get a puppy.

She has this HUGE questionnaire that I'm filling out and part of it is in conformation/showing. This has never been an option for since two of mine are rescues and Lucky came from a BYB (before a joined this forum and LEARNED about BYBs and such.) We've thought about putting Lucky in agility shows just because she loves that sort of thing so very much, but she just had surgery so we don't know if she can compete or not. She'll be 4 in September. I have the form to fill out to say she's recognized as a full lab but not AKC because her breeder never gave me paperwork for it.

I'm thinking MAYBE just MAYBE I would like to try showing...not sure, but obiedence and those things may be in the future for a future puppy or Lucky..maybe even Sam though I'm not sure if he can get that title that I can get for Lucky.

I'm getting off topic the form asks if we're interested in Performance title.

What is that exactly?
    Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador ... or more in your lap!

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Competing is broken down into 2 areas....Conformation which is the typical DOG SHOW and Performance which is obedience, hunting, agility, rally, tracking (I think those are the main ones labs are in). They are trying to find out if you are interested in training a dog in one of these areas to the level of putting titles on the dog.

LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Labradors View Post
    Competing is broken down into 2 areas....Conformation which is the typical DOG SHOW and Performance which is obedience, hunting, agility, rally, tracking (I think those are the main ones labs are in). They are trying to find out if you are interested in training a dog in one of these areas to the level of putting titles on the dog.
    Ah! Well if I started showing or doing peformance I'd like to get some titles!!
    Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador ... or more in your lap!

Happy 15, Emma 8. RIP Lucky September 6, 2005 - June 7 2013 Sam-Wise March 11, 2006 - May 11, 2016

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Since you are going to want a dog that you can either try showing or do peformance with, you will need to be very selective about the breeders you talk to. You will HAVE to choose a breeder who does these things themselves and has a proven record. ESPECIALLY if you want to try showing. And be aware that most reputable breeders are breeding to get a new pup for themselves to show and carry on the lines, so as a beginner, you might be allowed to take 2nd or 3rd pick, and most likely only on a co-own. And it will be harder to get a girl vs. a boy. But it CAN be done and you are smart to look now and build that relationship. If you can join a lab club or a kennel club and get to know the folks that way, it will go along way later for what kind of puppy you might get.

It will be easier to get a dog just for performance as you can spay/nueter the animal and Limited Registration isn't an issue.

You can PM me if you have more detailed questions...

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Beware...showing dogs is addictive. We thought we'd like to try it..for fun...when we bought our black labl Three years later we have a Canadian Champion and had to go out specifically to get a show dog prospect for our next pup. Way bigger bucks and co-owned...which is new to us but working out. Good Luck.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Typically, show quality puppies are not any more expensive than pet quality. You are buying a prospect and at 8 weeks, the puppy has a greater chance of washing out than reaching his potential, especially a male.

Some breeders will charge more for show quality but with most breeders, a show prospect is just that; a prospect, and he will go for pet price. Now if you are buying an older show prospect with clearances, that is a completely different story

Just a word of caution: normally there are only one or two potential puppies in a litter. If your breeder offers several, then you might want to reconsider. Also, don't shop for a dog, shop for a very, very good bitch from a very, very strong producing line and get a puppy out of that bitch. Bitch line is everything in breeding, don't get hung up on the stud dog, even if he is a big winning dog. He can only carry the bitch so far.

Good luck in your search, it is very exciting shopping for puppies
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Could be the difference in price was the difference in years (3) but we paid the "going" price for good breeder labs for Jack and Ben (who was 6 mos) was considerably more. Could just be inflation. Both were well worth the price!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fallriver View Post
    Just a word of caution: normally there are only one or two potential puppies in a litter. If your breeder offers several, then you might want to reconsider. Also, don't shop for a dog, shop for a very, very good bitch from a very, very strong producing line and get a puppy out of that bitch. Bitch line is everything in breeding, don't get hung up on the stud dog, even if he is a big winning dog. He can only carry the bitch so far.
    Thank you! That I did not know. I learn something new every day I am on this site!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

This is why it is much easier to buy a nice boy than a nice girl. A good bitch is worth her weight in gold and we don't sell those for nothing! A kennel's strength is always in their bitches.

Rayluckgoo, some breeders do charge more and that's OK. I just wanted to point out that others charge the same for show potential puppies so it doesn't have to be cost prohibitive to get involved.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous