Question on Show Photos

Thread: Question on Show Photos

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion on Show Photos

I'm not here to stir the pot, honestly, but I have to wonder about the "win" photos you purchase.

From the standpoint of photography (a hobby I dabble daily in), most of these really are horrible photos. Nearly every black I've seen photographed is underexposed. Poses are horrible, the way the handlers are standing are horrible, many times the little sign with the show info on it is partially cut off, focus is soft in most shots as well.

I understand getting the photo made is a keepsake for you, but I have to wonder, what are you paying for these???

I don't do conformation, but I've gotten (purchased) plenty of agility photos that are far superior to what you folks are getting from your show photographers.. and in agility the dogs are moving so there is even less time to adjust for exposure and shutter speeds, etc. My point being, that if a photographer can't get a decent exposure on a dog that is standing still... they aren't worth the camera they are holding!

Would you mind sharing what you pay for these, and also posting who you think is a good show photographer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I think I last paid about $30 for the one that got mailed to me after the show. $20 for the ones that the photographers print AT the shows. I agree, many times the photos aren't that great. I've only done 5 photos in all my time of showing.

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

I've always gotten a photo taken whenever Henry finished a title... more to commemorate the occasion than anything else. They're all in his scrapbook. Of all the photos that we've had done, this is the one that I love best, taken when he finished his CKC RN. This pic was taken in a tent outdoors, in the humidity and in the pouring rain.

This one, of Ollie and I, is horrible!! lol! However, it was his first Best Puppy in Breed win, at his first official show (ie. not a fun match/puppy show). At least he matched the curtains. lol.

ETA: I realized I didn't answer your question! Pics around here are in the $25-30 range if I remember correctly, Ollie's was a bit more because I got it on a CD ($40? $45?).
    Last edited by Henery&Ollie's mom; 06-25-2009 at 07:39 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I got one of Marshall last week (and it is horrible) and its $50- no CD, I can scan it though, made sure to ask.

The photos around here are horrible, horrible photographers over charging. Most print on site, and do not bother to color correct at all.

I've probably got $500 worth of Ruby pictures in a box because they are gross and she's YELLOW.

Our worst photo was her sweeps win at the LOC, so something worth documenting, but alas YICK.

Over priced and crappy. But the photog's want to move quickly to get the judge out of there.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Interestingly, the best win photo I have was the cheapest one!!
    I've paid $50 many times for photos and sometimes when you get a big win you think CRAP, there goes fifty bucks. That was the first thing I though when Alice took group a couple of months ago...that and now I have to stay for BIS

A little trick is to have a friend photograph at the same time so you have something to fall back on if the photos offered by the photographer stink. Illegal, yes but maybe it will smarten them up a bit. They know they are the only show in town and that you are going to get the picture anyway, so why should they spend extra time editing the photos I suppose. The photo I have from Aaron's CD, is me and the judge and a black blob with two little eyeball peeking out. It is frightening!
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I paid $50 in Canada for Jack's picture. Being as it was our first win I'm still thrilled. I guess I didn't think too much about quality.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Thanks all for the replies. I pay about $40 for an 8X10 agility shot and have gotten some excellent ones over the years.

I agree, I think you need to have a friend who can take nice photos taking the photo along with the "official" photographer!

Felicia, I like that first shot with Henery. I like that you and the judge are down on the dogs level. But still, half of Henery's face is over-exposed.

Maybe a lot of what I'm seeing is because you scan the images in to the computer too?

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    Thanks all for the replies. I pay about $40 for an 8X10 agility shot and have gotten some excellent ones over the years.

I agree, I think you need to have a friend who can take nice photos taking the photo along with the "official" photographer!

Felicia, I like that first shot with Henery. I like that you and the judge are down on the dogs level. But still, half of Henery's face is over-exposed.

Maybe a lot of what I'm seeing is because you scan the images in to the computer too?
    Naw, I think most show pics are pretty awful, scanned or not! lol! Henry's was scanned, Ollie's wasn't. I've always loved the agility shots that I've seen ... they're so better than the conf and obedience ones!