Getting into showing....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into showing....

DefaultGetting into showing....

Like I mentioned on my introductory post, I do not currently own a Lab. I am the "Mother" (if you will) of a Black/White American Cocker Spaniel. BUT my Fiance and I are house hunting, while simultaneously looking for a Labrador breeder, in my area. I would like to start showing Labs, but while trying to find classes in my area for just fun matches for my Cocker - it was a failed attempt.

How do I go about looking for handling classes in my area?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Getting into showing....

It would help knowing where you are located.

It helps to find out what clubs are closest to you. You might want to look for specialty clubs as well as kennel clubs. Find out if they have web pages, call them and see if you can be put on notice for getting info about matches etc.

Does your town have any obedience clubs? They might offer handling classes. Does your town have any kennels? They might offer them too.

You can go to dog shows, find out who's local and see where they go for training.

Maybe start with some of these...there is even one in Tampa that teaches conformation handling.

http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/...state&state=FL

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! It's extremely addictive. Once you start, you just can't stop. I know. I'm a hard core case. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I've been having withdrawal symptoms since the pups were born. I can't wait for September to arrive. They will be old enough to show right after Labor Day!

I am in New Port Richey, Fl. It's about 1 1/2 hours north of Tampa (on a good day in traffic, lol)

I've gone to the local Humane Society and they said they are unaware of any clubs locally in this area. I went to Petsmart to ask their trainer about any information she might know of - she said that there was one out near Howie in the Hills which is as far or if not farther than Tampa.

I mean, until I get my puppy, I just wanted to learn the basics of showing with my Cocker so that way when I got my pup I could at least go to local shows

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I would contact the "local" AKC all-breed and specialty clubs or breeders (any breed) around you who are active in showing their dogs. Even if you can't find an official "class" around, perhaps someone who has been showing a long time could help you with general ring protocol and handling/stacking/moving tips?

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

krisinme is offline Senior Member

A great way to find classes and meet local breeders is to attend a local show and ask questions after the showing. People are always looking for help holding dogs or putting on armbands. I met some of my best friends ringside before I ever had a dog to show. Good luck and I sure do hope you are ready for the addiction.
    Here is a link to your local shows.
    http://www.infodog.com/showinfo/state.htm

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ruff n tumble crew
    DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! It's extremely addictive. Once you start, you just can't stop. I know. I'm a hard core case. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Yes it is! So, beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I agree, find a kennel club, obedience club or private training center to help you.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Honestly, I doubt the shelter would know much about the competetive side of dog fancy.

Lakeland Winter Haven Kennel Club, Inc. is having a show this weekend at the Florida State Fairgrounds. GO and talk to the exhibitors there and I am sure you'll find the answers you are seeking!

Ooh, that's a good idea.

Is it Saturday and Sunday?

Lakeland isn't that far from us. Maybe I can see if we can go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast