Accomplishments and background
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accomplishments and background

ricky Guest

DefaultAccomplishments and background

This is not another Field vs. Show thread and I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be one either. Lets keep it friendly please. I think everyone has something to learn from the next, no matter who you are.

Just curious, what is everyone's accomplishments, goals and how did you got involved in the Labrador breed? I personally think it's great that people do things with their dogs regardless of the "game" they play, it's a life that only a small percentage of dogs worldwide get to enjoy.

I'll go first. My involvement with the breed started when I was looking for a hunting dog. Being a duck and goose hunter, duck calling competitor and also a duck guide during the season, I needed a good dog. Learning how to train a gun dog led me to seek training knowledge, just so happens the brother to the person I guide with is a Nationally reconized FT trainer that was a Rex Carr student. Seeing what talented dogs could do made me want one also. I started out running HT's and after a couple years of training I accepted a part time job doing the Basics for a Pro. Some of these dogs later went on to title in the HT game. As for dogs that I have owned, I have trained and handled dogs to passes and titles in HRC and AKC HT's and wins and finishes in the FT's. FT's is the game I play and judge now and will probably do till the day I die. The challenge of training and seeing intelligent dogs work out tough setups, and the courage, drive and preserverance is what does it for me. My training group is comprised of some of the most consistent amateurs in the country with 2 dogs qualified for and running the National Amateur in two weeks.

With all that said you can probably see that my experience is strickly Field. I come here occasional because I like to listen to other people's views. Sometimes it is a bit hard to learn when what is being said is somewhat disrespectful. Thanks for reading and look forward to learning a little bit about you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Accomplishments and background

Sounds like a perfectly good thread to me!!
    Sometimes it is a bit hard to learn when what is being said is somewhat disrespectful.
    I agree.. We can all learn some things from each other.

I started out with obedience dogs... I wanted a dog that could work. Once I started competing with Abby in the obedience ring, I wandered over to the conformation ring. I thought, "now those are some BEAUTIFUL dogs!!" At a show, I talked at length to one breeder in my area who also was a duck guide. He used his show dogs during hunting season. I KNEW I wanted a dog from him!!!

After getting Brandy, I seriously got bit by the show bug and the rest is history. With all my girls, I want a dog that can work, but can also go into the show ring. I don't need a high drive dog, just one that can get the job done. I also don't need a dog that can't get the job done, but looks good!!!

Rewinding a bit, I started in labs because of an ex. He had labradors, and I just thought they were the most wonderful, kind, 'give all you can' dogs. I knew this was the dog for me. No matter what venue you compete in, a labrador is pretty hard to beat in my book!

My goals are pretty simple, I want to breed labradors that are successful in the show ring, obedience ring, and hunt tests. There are so many out there doing these things that I just can't help but be encouraged!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I am new to Labs (2 years), but have some accomplishments that I'm proud of. Scotty has a CD (obedience) and TD (tracking) titles and a CGC certificate. We had 7 Novice A performances of which 1 was an NQ (my fault) and the remaining 6 were all placements. Our average Novice A score is 190.7. We also have one UKC CD leg (first place) and one ASCA CD leg (first place). We passed our tracking TD certification on the first try and also passed our TD test on the first try.

We had a rough start. I had no idea I wanted to compete with Scotty and after I brought him home, we did Petsmart classes. Soon, I became unsatisfied and started looking for something more advanced. I was lucky to have met our obedience trainer who's been training Labs and Goldens of her own for over 20 years with 4 OTCH titled dogs and dogs with numerous other obedience, tracking, hunting titles. Her and her husband are also involved in hunt tests and field trials and have introduced me to those sports as well.

As far as our future, I can realistically see us finishing our UKC and ASCA Novice titles, getting CDX (obedience), TDX (tracking) and JH around next spring. I hope we can keep advancing in all disciplines after that but it all depends on Scotty's elbows, if they will hold up. We will definitely keep training through all of the concepts of obedience and retriever training; I enjoy teaching and training just as much as I enjoy competing.

Speaking of elbows, when Scotty got diagnosed with elbow dysplasia, I started learning as much as I could about dogs' structure and conformation. It was natural at that point for me to get interested in conformation as a sport. I have been learning more and attending all-breed shows and specialties whenever possible.

Oh, I handled Tagen's dog Roxy to her JH pass; does that count as an accomplishment?

I find both conformation and performance worlds fascinating. There is so much to learn, so many great people and dogs to meet. If only I had unlimited time and money to all that I want with Scotty and to get a couple more dogs.

Ricky, are you going to the National then? It's pretty much in my back yard, so I'll be there watching on several days.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Over 20 years ago I got my first purebred Lab, a little field girl. I knew I wanted to compete in obedience and that we did--she had her American UD before she was 3 and her Canadian just after she was 4. Tobie was a half and half--half field and half conformation Lab. Great boy but because of some scares, etc he did not get his CD until he was 12 1/2. Becca lived to be 16 and as she got older I knew I wanted another competition Lab. The field people I knew who bred were no longer invovled in that aspect of dogs so thus began my search. I talked to lot of breeders from my area but they did not understand when I talked about drive and trainability--all they said was that their Labs were smart. That is not what I was looking for. Then I came across Caleb's breeder's website and she was the first one who understood what I wanted. She shows in breed, does hunt tests, agility, obedience and now rally. BINGO! I got pick male from Caleb's litter. Though I had no intention of showing in breed she suggest I do a little until he was ready for the obedience ring that he learns that the ring is a fun place to be. Ok, I was hooked! But, Caleb is more of a moderate Lab in an area where they are pretty good sized. So, he's pointed but my heart is obedience. I would like to get another puppy to show in breed that still has the drive and trainability to excell and be ranked in obedience--cause in my mind a Lab should be able to do it all! If I had an ultimate dream--to have a Champion/Obedience Trial Champion Labrador.

Currently with Caleb, he is pointed towards his championship with a BOB over Specials. He has two legs towards his UD and is doing very well in Open B with multiple HIT's. He also has his Canadian CD. We do a little showing in breed but now that he is in the advanced obedience classes, I really want that UDX!!!!!!!!

My goal is also to begin looking for that next puppy that can do it all.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm still new and therefore still learning. While I've put a few titles on my dogs, I don't think of myself as being "accomplished".

Laura

Well, I'm not very accomplished and there's not much background. I've only been doing this for 6 years!

I have one girl who I show in conformation (9pts, one major) and compete in obedience. I hope to get her a tracking title as soon as we can get in to a test (probably entered 25?)

I plan to breed her with the help of her breeder this winter or next spring, from that litter, I want a dog who will be more competitive in the field, ie. one with more natural drive to retrieve.

I want to make beautiful pets, mostly for me. That's the goal right now. While competitive, I love them like children and never want to have more dogs then I can enjoy on one lap!

ricky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    Ricky, are you going to the National then? It's pretty much in my back yard, so I'll be there watching on several days.

Unfortunately, no. My training partners are heading up there right now. Take plenty pictures please!

88 views and only 6 posts. Thanks to the ones that took the time to reply, for that I have that much more appreciation for your time.

(edited, poor choice of words first time around)

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Edited- I guess you don't really need my life story...I'll come back later when I have some time to write up a brief synopsis of where I've been and where I hope to go. LOL

Okay, updated with my "brief synopsis"-
    ================================
    I come from a very involved equestrian background, where I grew up in a family breeding, training, and competing with horses since I was about 3. Was heavily involved (from board member to president) of several state breed clubs, competed in national and world championship competitions, and was a certified judge for horse shows up in the state of Washington. Went through college (twice, actually- once for my bachelor degree and once for my doctorate) and haven't been able to afford the time/money to get back into it since. God bless my parents...that is one expensive "hobby" for your kids! (See what you have to look forward to, Sharon?) Meanwhile, throughout the horse stuff, I would help my friend (in horses, but who also bred Aussies) train, breed, and compete with her dogs in mostly obedience and conformation (though I was never in the ring for the latter so this is all new to me).

Once I got a house (not "land," mind you...just a house on a lot, which is still "a lot" in California...LOL), I decided that I wanted to get back into competition on a "smaller" (non-horse, less expensive) scale. I ended up with a pet-bred girl with all sorts of orthopedic problems (my obedience/rally CGC dog- we're working on our final legs toward our CD and RN titles). I soon became involved in 3 "local" labrador clubs (LRCSC, HDLRC, CCLRC), one of which I now am a board member of, and am a member of The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc (the AKC parent club). In the meantime, my first "show dog" was added, and we're working toward that CH title. Both dogs are family members and house dogs first, though.

My next steps are getting into hunt test training, tracking, and therapy work. I'm *really* excited about the hunt training, especially. I'm a new member of the Inland Valley Retriever Club. Both dogs LOVE to work...and I have a lead on a more "local" (only about 45 min away rather than an hour and a half) training spot on someone's private property- with water (tough to find when you live in a desert)!!!

So, right now, I'm still very much a newbie but am dabbling in a few different venues. I, too, believe in brains AND beauty. Someday, I too would love to have a CH/MH/CDX dog at least- why stop at 2 titles when the dog is capable of so much more? To me at this point in my dog "career," it isn't about breeding the dog right now as much as it is enjoying quality time with them working toward a goal. Awards are awards and titles are titles, but they mean SOOOOO much more to me when I can train for and earn them myself.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Sorry, I did not reply sooner. I was at a show quite a ways away from home yesterday.

I grew up with dogs...Brittanies. My dad hunted over them. So essentially I have been in the company of dogs my whole life. Fast forward to me getting into Labs. I got my first Lab from my mentor about 16 years ago. She had beautiful dogs that could work. That is what I wanted. My husband is an avid waterfowler and upland hunter so a biddable, dependable working dog is essential.

I started out in obedience and have competed through the Utility level in obedience with that first Lab (Haley). She was the first dog I trained completely myself. I learned the hunt test game by volunteering and marshalling at dozens of hunt tests at different levels before running my first dog. From the first litter I ever bred I ran two of the pups to Junior Hunter titles right alongside their mom (mom had no training except her obedience training). She was a complete natural. That was so much fun. I also have run my dogs as pick up dogs for hired pheasant hunts. My first breed CH (Sass) earned her CH in both the US and Canada and also earned her Am/Can CD. She also qualified for the Gaines Regional obedience competition. I was hooked.

That is where I started. I won't list the titles/dogs here, but I have kept to my titles on both ends belief. I compete successfully at both specialties (placements, class wins, Winners Bitch, as well as JAM's) and at all breed shows. My first home bred CH recently took a Best veteran in Show. That was an incredible moment!

Currently, from my fourth generation of my line, I have a 21 mos old girl who earned her Can CH at 13 months and has 10 points towards her AM CH. I also have a 12 mos old boy (see below) who has 6 points all from the puppy classes including a Best of Breed over a Special. I will be running them both in the WC this summer and will be doing obedience and hunt tests with them both as well.

Right now, I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of a litter later this month in which (fingers crossed) I will have my next hopeful/foot warmer.

I have been involved with Labradors since 1976 and until 1993, all on the field end. After seeing and meeting a few show bred Labradors, we got involved in that aspect. Over the years we have bred 8 show champions, one Canadian, one Mexican, and six AKC. I guess our high points were one of the Labradors we bred won Breed at the first Eukanuba Invitational Championship and was on television. Then of course our red boy Willie who the best anyone can determine, only the third fox red Labrador to gain AKC Championship points. We are members of the Greater Atlanta Labrador Club, the Labrador Club of the Piedmont, and the LRC, our National Club.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast