Accomplishments and background - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Accomplishments and background

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    163

    DefaultRe: Accomplishments and background

    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Ricky - we at least know that s/he doesn't have a job with the Diplomatic Corps!!! ;D

    Blacklab - I see no power play here. Just as we like to know that our vet/gynaecologist/hairdresser has been through the ropes, it's good to know that anyone as liberal as you are with easy criticism is really in a position to judge. I love spices for the variety, colour and flavour they bring to any feast... but pure pepper for the sake of pepper is tough on my taste buds!


    I see your point. I am not particularly diplomatic. I think Australians are known for their directness. There's no "pepper" here. A bit of spice maybe I don't think I've been particularly critical of anyone here - only of the tendency of people to breed two different types of dog and have them listed under one breed name and be apparently totally blind to the differences. Why I need to have my "accomplishments" listed to have an opinion that is valued by Ricky is beyond my comprehension.

    The fact that Ricky came into another thread and "tactfully" invited me to list my successes on this thread right after I had given my opinion on something speaks volumes about this. Read my opinions and consider them. I don't railroad anybody into thinking what I think. I just state what my opinion is. Take it or leave it.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    ricky Guest

    DefaultRe: Accomplishments and background

    Quote Originally Posted by blacklab
    Thank goodness that gaining your respect isn't too high a priority on my list. :


    Likewise. Again, thanks to everyone that has posted. It was supposed to be an enjoyable thread with no hidden intentions.




  4. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23

    DefaultRe: Accomplishments and background

    Quote Originally Posted by blacklab
    I don't think I've been particularly critical of anyone here - only of the tendency of people to breed two different types of dog and have them listed under one breed name and be apparently totally blind to the differences.
    Your statement is 100% fact. People are breeding two totally different types of Labradors (leaving out those in the middle not bred for any specific purpose), two different purposes and under one breed name, but certainly anyone that has been in active in one area or the other recognizes there is a huge difference. The bridge was washed away years ago.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,653

    DefaultRe: Accomplishments and background

    I don't breed (though I compete in obedience, rally,and eventually agility)- but I follow all the threads in here just for the sake of learning.

    I find it interesting to read that the breeders who have been accused in a number of threads of being biased towards conformation actually run their dogs in a variety of events.

  7. #25
    ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    3,794

    DefaultRe: Accomplishments and background

    Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    I find it interesting to read that the breeders who have been accused in a number of threads of being biased towards conformation actually run their dogs in a variety of events.
    Today you will find most people do run their dogs in multi-arenas. It is very popular to have multiple titles on a dog from both the breed ring and performance venues. Peggy for example--she shows in the breed ring, does some obedience and her husband hunts with their Labs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg
    Your statement is 100% fact. People are breeding two totally different types of Labradors (leaving out those in the middle not bred for any specific purpose), two different purposes and under one breed name, but certainly anyone that has been in active in one area or the other recognizes there is a huge difference. The bridge was washed away years ago.
    This is oh so true. Most of us who compete and show are painfully aware of this fact.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

    www.labmed.org


  8. #26
    Dani's Avatar
    Dani is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, MI
    Posts
    6,676

    DefaultRe: Accomplishments and background

    Newbie here too. Got involved in Labs in 2003 when I picked up my byb pet/field bred chocolate boy Rider. I knew NOTHING then...Rider was a pain, a joy, a real lunatic as a pup...but I stuck with it, found an amazing trainer and haven't looked back since. Rider is a working therapy dog (we belong to an organization that does reading programs with children), has titles in rally, dock diving, and agility and I am working toward hunting titles at this time with him. I want to continue to run him in agility and dock diving...but also want to get his WC and his SHR this year...then we will hopefully move on to the JH. He's neutered and 4 years old.

    In february of 2005, I help to found the central Michigan labrador rescue network, to help rehome dogs that didn't have beginnings as lucky as my boy Rider did. We've placed over 200 dogs in 2 years, and while our rescue volume is slowing down (losing fosters because they are adopting the dogs), I always work hard to help out homeless labradors when I can.

    In April, I got my first show potential pup, and since he's showing so much promise already in the field, I am going to try and get his WC this August and I will also get his CGC and TDI soon. He probably will not make a good dock diving dog...but we've gone over some agility obstacles (small ramp and teeter totter), so I think he will do well there too eventually. I will also be working in obedience with him in addition to the show ring.

    I am just trying to learn as much as I can from others and work hard to keep my boys busy and happy. At the end of the day, I just enjoy and love my labradors.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

    Member Since 6/2003

  9. #27
    ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    488

    DefaultRe: Accomplishments and background

    I wouldn't really consider myself a "lab" person, mainly because I am not extremely active at the moment. But here goes...

    I got my first lab 10 years ago (today is her birthday), she was given to me by my dad's secretary when her lab got pregnant by an english setter (field line) and had puppies. The mother died and the litter was bottle-fed, so they went home a bit early (6wks). Lucy is an extremely loving and awesome dog but I never really trained her for much - she's just a great pet. She has a few issues with food aggression and other dogs which are probably due to being bottle fed and sent home early - but without the mother dog, it was the best her "breeder" could do.

    Before Lucy we had a Border Collie mix, but she died when Lucy was a couple years old. Before the BC died we "adopted" a stray beagle...meaning we stuck a collar and tags on him to prevent my neighbor from shooting him. The beagle was never really ours and was hit by a car during his roamings.

    A while later a 5mos old ACD mix wandered in and we kept him...he's now nearly 7-8years old. He's also just an awesome pet - not much in the way of formal training.

    Then when I was 13 my sister found a 5wk old yellow lab pup out in our dog kennel. We think our neighbor across the street dumped him on us because even at 5wks he was a little hellion. So, we looked for owners and never found them so Zeke stayed. It's probably a good thing his owners never claimed him because he was infested with fleas and ticks and was anemic and wormy. As he got bigger his...interesting personality came through. Turned into a 70lb dog who goes ballistic when strangers approach...growling, hackles up, barking his head off and trying to keep away from them. Over the past couple years he's calmed down and is just a bit shy...although he masks his shyness with shows of extreme dominance sometimes.

    He's trained in basic obedience and agility, but his temperament holds us back and so up to now he's only qualified in Rally Novice and failed the CGC several times. Eventually he may be comfortable enough to hold it together though.

    Eventually I plan on being more competitive with a more able dog, but Zeke is fine for now. I am in college and don't have time for adding another competition dog....barely have time for the 1 I already have.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25