Tail Set
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tail Set

DefaultTail Set

This was mentioned in the other thread and I am interested in hearing from all of you Lab gurus

Question before you all get started... Can tail set change or is it pretty much what you see is what your'e going to get in the end?
    And, can there be a tail set that is too high? I've seen many that are too low but never one that was high?
    TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tail Set

You can usually see tailsets at 7-8 weeks. Yes there are high tailsets as well as low ones.

Laura

WigWag Guest

Remember "tail set" and "tail carriage" are two very different animals. A dog can have a low tail set yet carry the tail too high. Tail set is how the tail is attached - right off the back is correct. A low tail set is where the tail attaches farther down which accompanies a rounded appearance to the croup. Tail carriage is how the dog holds the tail and again right off the back and straight is desired. A high tail carriage is when a dog gets excited and the tail goes up - all dogs will raise it slightly when excited about say an impending toss of a bumper but the dog's that are "too proud" of their tails can raise them sky high like a flag pole.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I think I heard that tail set can change too. Even though 7-8 weeks is supposed to give you a good picture of what your adult will look like, it can change a bit.

I know with Grace she appeared to have a proper tail set at her puppy eval, and it's a tad lower now.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

My understanding of tailset is that it is supposed to be set "right off of the back" as a straight line basically from the occipital region of the skull down the neck/smoothly over the shoulders and down to the tip of the tail since the tail is supposed to act as a rudder for swimming in a labrador's case, meaning that at the surface of the water, it provides more stability and "steering" ability at that level? Thoughts?

I have seen a couple of puppies who *seemed* to have proper tailsets at 7 wks only to be more rounded as adults, with a lower tailset. It makes me wonder whether or not there is anything else that may indicate the tailset will change over time?

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Julie, someone once said something like diet and exercise could contribute in a negative way to the tailset changing. I guess whatever we did just didn't work....LOL ;D Even with the best food and proper exercise, so who knows!!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Interesting, Jen. I wonder who said that?

I can't imagine anything that would "cause" a low tailset through development, nutritionally or exercise-wise. If anything, I would think that more exercise would develop those coccygeal muscles (and other muscles responsible for tail movement) further, allowing for improved tailset?

I do know people who have tried to "straighten" a curved lab tail through a variety of splints and so forth as puppies. Someone also mentioned to me that there has been a surgical procedure that some have tried where ligaments get cut to improve tail carriage and so forth. That's pretty sad.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Julie, someone once said something like diet and exercise could contribute in a negative way to the tailset changing.
    Well, that would be a new one!

WigWag Guest

Julie, someone once said something like diet and exercise could contribute in a negative way to the tailset changing.

Well, that would be a new one!
    Yeah that is a new one. Some people can make up the strangest things! Proves that you should only believe half of what you hear.

As far as tail splints and ligament cutting I have never heard of anyone doing that in Labradors at least. I wonder how they can tell what the tail will look like as an adult at 8 weeks?????

Well I for one hate the look of a sloping croup, and usually once a dog has that trait I look the other way...it usually accompanies a low tail set.

My Rhys (a field/show tweener) has the most PERFECT croup and tailset (I'll see if I can dig up a photo) but carries high.

Ruby's tail is a touch low set, just a bit, and most people don't see it, but I do, since Rhys's is so right on. She carries perfectly, except when she is excited, then she has a perfect BANANA tail, doesn't go over the back, but sticks out about 4" and then heads upward! It makes me smile, only because I know she is a happy girl when that happens, which is most of the time!
    EDIT TO ADD
    Rhys's tailset, the best shot I have, but you can't tell how straight off the back it is because it is wagged all the way back around, making his topline look high, but you get the picture

ROO'S TAIL...excited

Roo's Tail...not reall excited

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast