Back Ends on Labradors - Page 14
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Back Ends on Labradors

DefaultRe: Back Ends on Labradors

Quote Originally Posted by mb05j
    You must agree, that at slightly less than 8 months old, his hind quarters are fine. If he were two years old, Id be worried. Over all, in response to those who think show labs are overweight, this dog hasnt a a pound to spare.

No I can't agree. I do know that some labs lose some of their angulation and width of thigh etc when they get leggy (only to regain it as they mature) but not to that extent. He's in great shape and he's a nice dog in lots of other ways but that back end is never going to be there. Sorry but you posted him as an example and I can't agree with your opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mb05j
    You must agree, that at slightly less than 8 months old, his hind quarters are fine. If he were two years old, Id be worried. Over all, in response to those who think show labs are overweight, this dog hasnt a a pound to spare.
    No, I don't agree at all. He is lacking in angulation (which could be a growth issue), however, he has no 2nd thigh and unless they have *some* when they are young, it will not come on with age.

I think someone read too much into your post regarding hunting. Structurally could he hunt? Sure...as long as the desire to do so was there. I don't think you said he WOULD hunt...just that physically he *could* hunt. Would I like a much stronger rear on a dog? Yes, absolutely I would. Could the dog overcome physical shortcomings to hunt? Absolutely! My gal Haley (now at the bridge) was a tad high in the rear and was a big long in the hock. However, her drive made her a wonderful bird dog and competition obedience dog and I was running her when the jump heights and widths were alot higher than they are now.

JP

Some pretty spectacular FT winners flunked geometry big time!! Cheetah fronts, hare feet, roached backs and pelvic girdles attached any old how! BUT where's there's a will, there's a way... and boy can they get the job done! Some are a flash in the pan and break down early, others hang in there in spite of their bones. It's a mystery...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Some pretty spectacular FT winners flunked geometry big time!! Cheetah fronts, hare feet, roached backs and pelvic girdles attached any old how! BUT where's there's a will, there's a way... and boy can they get the job done! Some are a flash in the pan and break down early, others hang in there in spite of their bones. It's a mystery...
    I've seen them too..... it's all that "heart" they have. But in general, if you see those dogs at age 9-10 and compare them to a well structured dog of the same age (who has been kept fit), there will be obvious differences by then. I have a 12.5 yo field bred lab here who is still in fabulous physical condition, not a stitch of stiffness. Heck, she has snappier sits than the youngsters, but that is personality talking there! She would be termed "long" backed by most, w/ not enough front but oh my, could she (and can she still) move!!! At the conformation certificate 2 years ago, both judges were amazed at how well structurally she was still--- said she moved better than most 3 yo's. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

YellowLab is offline Senior Member

I believe the previous picture I posted did not do the dog justice. This picture, from the rear clearly shows the second thigh. The previous pic was taken in the shade so you cannot see definition. maybe im wrong. judge from this pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I believe the previous picture I posted did not do the dog justice. This picture, from the rear clearly shows the second thigh. The previous pic was taken in the shade so you cannot see definition. maybe im wrong. judge from this pic.
    I stand by my opinion that he is lacking in rear angulation and that rear does not say "powerful" to me. Not enough dog behind the tail for me.

eta:

Here is a photo of a bitch puppy of about the same age. You can see the difference between the rears even though she is in a growing phase and is stretched out a bit in this pic. There is strength there...you can picture her driving off of that rear. I don't see that in your pup. Again...JMO.

Here is that same pup at 22 mos. Still has the nice strong rear (and nice front).

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Back Ends on Labradors (Okay- this is photo intense)

It is difficult to compare different "types" of labradors (even those "types" I see within the "show type" classification- since you then have those who do well almost exclusively in all-breed shows and those who do well almost exclusively in specialty shows, and a variety in-between), and some do mature (and definitely fill out) much later than others. Regardless, there are many show champions out there, and field champions for that matter, who are lacking much substance and angulation in the rear (and fore for that matter).

This is definitely a difficult age, but in what I've seen over the past couple of years, it seems like those who are going to have angulation seem to have it when youngsters as well. I will only post photos of my own boy growing up for comparison (and thankfully, I've been blessed with a dog with pretty good rear angulation), and while that awkward 9 month stage left him a big "weedy" (he was at a "gawky" stage and didn't have the developed musculature in his rear), you will probably see that he still had some rear angulation.

7 wks (don't ask me about the angulation in puppies...I just don't see it, LOL- thank goodness for experienced breeders with "an eye" for this stuff! )-

14 wks, I think-

5 months-

6 months-

8 months-

9 months (first day in the 9-12 month class)

12 months (and a bit chunky, though this photo makes it look worse than it is in other photos taken the same day)-

From behind (the same day)-

14 months-

Just under 18 months- see my signature photo or these-

22 months-

And more recently (this past weekend) at 23 months-

He's had quite a bit of rear angulation and "substance" in the rear all along, even in that awkward 9 month stage. I know he's probably not everyone's "cuppa tea" but I love him to death and in the show ring, he does well at both the all-breed and the specialty show levels. It has been a learning experience for us both, and we continue to learn each and every day! It sure is fun watching these boys grow and develop...I just realized just how quickly they do it, too, after posting these photos! WOW!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Here are the back ends of two pups from my last litter. I like good behinds on labradors and neither of these girls are lacking. There is one being shown locally and she had lost some turn of stifle when I last saw her at 9 months - she's not leggy but she's got a lot of maturing to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And just for comparison here is a pup from the same litter who is screaming "PUT ME IN A PET HOME!!"

Totally lacking back end and the worst of the litter by far. Lovely girl though and very much loved by the family she lives with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab
    Here are the back ends of two pups from my last litter.
    Nice butts on those girls! I'm a sucker for a chunky rear...on a dog, that is!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314