Characteristics behind certain lines...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Characteristics behind certain lines...

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultCharacteristics behind certain lines...

I didn't really want to hijack the thread about that little cutie, Ruger, so I started a new thread here to discuss maturation of certain lines and what others find may be tendencies in the growth process (ie- going through a leggy stage or a "jowly" stage or a "high-in-rear" stage). I find all of this interesting to find out what *tends* to happen with many different bloodlines. I know that obviously some lines mature at a quicker rate (or just never go through the "ganglies"), but this is the conversation starter:

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    I find the Arnold lines tend to want to run a little high in the rear early on. Do you guys notice that too???
    I haven't really noticed that myself, but I'm still new, so who knows? Almost everyone I know has Arnold or Clark extensively in their lines, and though I haven't noticed anything that tends to be a trend in their pups, I'll ask and see if they have noticed this. It could have to do with how Arnold "meshes" with the bitch line or how far back Arnold is in the lines. Heck, though...seems like a large percentage of dogs have Arnold in their pedigrees these days. Monty has Arnold back there (great-great grandfather on the sire's dam's side) as well as Ruffy (great-great grandfather on the dam's sire's side), and he has never really gone through much of a "really high in rear" stage...this was him the day he turned 6 months:

and a week later:

8 months:

12 months (yes, this is right *after* a period of rapid growth and just when I was starting to cut his food back, so he's a chunk here- we're talking toplines, though ):

And at almost 18 months (in my signature photo):

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Characteristics behind certain lines...

Ruby never went high either, she has minimal Arnold, far enough back (she is a Great great granddaughter) so I wonder.

Hmmmm....

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Interesting. Essy is a Clark daughter but she never went thru the ganglies or high in year stage. She has stayed pretty well put together.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Grace stayed put together for the most part, but being chocolate, she runs off different lines.

modelmom is offline Junior Member

I always thought that when someone said, "he's going through a gangly stage right now." It meant that they were trying to be nice cause the dog was not so great and they couldn't think of anything nice to say.

WigWag Guest

In my experience there can be certain lines that mature consistently but of course there are individuals thrown in the mix that do not conform. Some breeders have big hefty puppies that look amazing from 2 - 6 months and then begin to fall apart and end up lacking substance, bone, etc for my taste as adults. Other breeders have pretty 8 week olds who are not so pretty from 4 - 18 months and then begin to slowly come on and come together. I've seen some dogs at 12 months that I think are "butt ugly" (excuse the term) and then I see them again at 2 1/2 - 3 years old and I can't even believe it's the same dog. Conversely I've seen 3 month old puppies that are "to die for" and then by 12 months they are pets.

I completely agree, Sharon. Do you remember any of the bloodlines of those who ended up going from "ugly duckling" into "swan?" *THAT* is exactly what I am interested in finding out. Which lines are well worth the wait, and well worth running on for a while to see how they develop?

One of my friends right now has a very pretty, very balanced yellow girl ("dripping" with coat) who doesn't have a lot of substance. She is from out-of-the-country (not the UK) and simply doesn't have a lot of bone right now, but is going on 2 years of age. I think she is still planning on running with her and seeing how she turns out (I keep telling her she needs to start showing her at all-breed shows in the interim...I think she'd do quite well!), but I wonder how long some of these girls take to fully mature/develop? Someone told me that the boys typically take about 4 years on ave. to kindof "come into their own." What about bitches? And going back into certain bloodlines?

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

threelabs is offline Senior Member

Gosh, I hate that term 'dripping' in coat - they are not supposed to be! I think bitches tend to mature faster than the boys. Kind of like human children

krisinme is offline Senior Member

I have a bitch that matured quickly from the same breeder I got my slow maturing male from. Her daughter is slow to mature and her son has matured quickly. Arnold is close up on all of them and they all went through a very short high in the rear stage. Go figure? lol

Quote Originally Posted by threelabs
    Gosh, I hate that term 'dripping' in coat - they are not supposed to be! I think bitches tend to mature faster than the boys. Kind of like human children
    This is "dripping" in correct coat, though (well-wrapped and very closely packed around her entire body)...not a long-haired, loose coat like what I'm thinking you're picturing. No feathering on the tail or legs, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast