Ruger 6 months old

Thread: Ruger 6 months old

terr1mag is offline Senior Member

DefaultRuger 6 months old

Hi all, I have a few picture's of Ruger, he is six months old now. They aren't the greatest pics, but would like to hear what you think of him. Thanks Terri

Terri,<br />Pirate&#039;s Black Powder Pistol (Magnum),<br />Skazka&#039;s Rimfire Rifle (Ruger)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ruger 6 months old

I think he has potential to have lovely conformation but is going through the usual growing stage. Bum high etc. He has good substance for his age. Try to get him leaning into his front while he is stacked and he will look better.

He has beautiful expression, however I don't think it's correct. Droopy lower eyelids on labradors can be troublesome. He is very "mouthy" or "jowly" however you put it. I fear that his head will be too coarse by the time he has finished growing.

WigWag Guest

I quite like him. Try getting a better stacked shot by getting him more animated - toss a treat a few times from in front of him and get him standing and wagging and then snap - these look like he's waiting to be beaten and I believe this accounts for his high rear end - he appears to have a good topline if you can just get him stretched out a bit and rocked more forward - he's rocked back on his rear.

I actually like his head very much. I don't droopy lids and hopefully they will tighten up as he ages but I like his expression - it's not coarse (Mastiff/Rottie like) to me at all.

What's his breeding?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

terr1mag is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the input. More is welcome. I know I need to learn myself, along with him. His breeding is Sire- CH Rozzay's Hunt Club Clayview Grady, which is Dickendall lines. His Dam- Can Ch Castlegar Victoria, which has Rocheby, Oakhouse, Lenches lines.
    Terri,<br />Pirate&#039;s Black Powder Pistol (Magnum),<br />Skazka&#039;s Rimfire Rifle (Ruger)

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

6 months can be such a hard time for these boys, but I think he's adorable, and I'll bet he at least *mostly* grows into all of that skin around his head. He's got a wonderful expression, nice tail, he's short-bodied with a little leg under him (which I like!), and I'll bet his angles are great once he matures a bit! What a cutie-pie!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Yes, he can easily grow into his skin and his eyes will be much tighter. I like him, but he just needs to grow a little and settle on his rear.
    He has a very strong and lovely b*tch line behind him, so give him time and his pedigree will come through
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    Yes, he can easily grow into his skin and his eyes will be much tighter.
    Really? I've never seen a pup that looks like that in the head. I guess you guys know the lines and have seen it happen. Only seen pups with refined heads mature into dogs with nice substantial heads. (You can always see the potential there though.)

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Lots of vets are quick to jump the gun and start cutting and stitching for entropian and ectropian. In many cases, a little patience pays off as the puppy grows into their skin and as their head begins to fill out a bit.

Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

For 6 mos, he's looking great. I like a tad more neck, but darn, he's got nice angles, nice balance, pretty head. I don't worry about the eyes a bit... my first girl (from field lines) produced males w/ very droopy eyes-- they'd get extra droopy just before the head would grow again. Grow skin, then grow into it.... as the head broadens, the eyes became tight and all was fine with most of them. One male (neutered young... big mistake as it resulted in a pointy head) had to be tightened but not much. I think had he been allowed to grow up before neutering (this was 12 yrs ago!), he'd probably have been fine.

I find the Arnold lines tend to want to run a little high in the rear early on. Do you guys notice that too??? I couldn't help but notice alot of that in the 2yr and younger dogs in the ring a few years ago, and I saw it in Fuji esp as a youngster. It made her topline look weak, but now that she's 3, she's got a nice looking topline. Her 6 mos old daughter is running a little high at times but not bad (just for a few days til the front catches up). -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz

I find the Arnold lines tend to want to run a little high in the rear early on. Do you guys notice that too??? I couldn't help but notice alot of that in the 2yr and younger dogs in the ring a few years ago, and I saw it in Fuji esp as a youngster. It made her topline look weak, but now that she's 3, she's got a nice looking topline.
    I don't have experience with the lines, except for this Arnold grandson I had for a while. Taken at 11 months - exactly as you described. A bit high in the butt (although levelling out) with a weak topline. I didn't have him long enough to find out how he turned out. Nice boy but not really my preferred type.

[attachment deleted by admin]